300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

z31 ACT clutch install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Question z31 ACT clutch install question

hi everyone i have an 87 z31 n/a and i recently installed a new oem fs5w71c transmission, and an ACT clutch model number nx2-hdss. Im having a problem shifting in to the gears and im thinking that either the clutch slave cylinder isnt giving me enough throw or i need to adjust my clutch pedal. The shifting is a little notchy on all the gears but i get locked out from second if the rpms arent under 20 (digital dash). I used valvoline 80w90 for the transmission, the bottle said it was good for applications requiring gl4 and gl5. I have already bled the clutch lines, and i have good pressure at the clutch pedal. I tried to adjust the clutch pedal but stopped cause i wasnt confident that i was doing the right thing. also the switch that goes into the side of the transmission has a dissconnected wire. i think its the reverse lamp switch?

do i need a bigger clutch cylinder? if so where can i buy them? if all this information is somewhere please link me. ive been searching for 3 days from the moment i get off of work and i cant find pictures or anything to help me be more confident in adjusting anything. thanks!

Last edited by Omegalos; 11-14-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. Did you bled the clutch pressure modulator mounted on the inside of the passenger side frame rail? It's easy to overlook.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Trans shifting issues

Originally Posted by ken99
Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. Did you bled the clutch pressure modulator mounted on the inside of the passenger side frame rail? It's easy to overlook.
All rebuilt transmissions are not equal, and that depends on the rebuilder's experience. Did you put enough fluid in the trans ??
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zdon
Originally Posted by ken99
All rebuilt transmissions are not equal, and that depends on the rebuilder's experience. Did you put enough fluid in the trans ??
Its not my tranny.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM

yeah i bled the clutch from both valves. i have good pressure at the pedal. i think i might have put too much gear oil. i tried to remove the fill plug today for 4 hours........i cant get it off. i tightened it too much when i was using a friends tool set and now i dont have the room to get any leverage. i know that the clutch is not adjustable as far as getting more throw but does anyone know where i can see pictures of how the switches and rod should be adjusted for a proper or maximum feel?

there are these dumbell looking (counter wieght?) things under the car where the transmission is and they have these rectangle bolts that are a bitch to get in and i couldnt get one of them in because i didnt have the right nut for it. but the other side does have the bolt and the dumbell thing is bolted with 4 bolts to the body (2 on the driver side 2 on the passenger side. i dont know if this would cause the problem? i dont think so but im just throwing it out there for anyone else who might have their dumbell thing set up like that.

and i guess your right about rebuilt transmissions not being equal. mine came from a company that specializes in building transmissions. one of those places that only deals with mechanics. but if i cant figure this out im going to take it back to the shop that sold it to me.

Last edited by Omegalos; 11-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM

ok so i took my z to the mechanic who ordered the transmission for me and i let him drive it. he said that i had to let the syncros wear down a bit. he took me to the back of the shop and showed me a new syncro vs an old one and told me that since everything is still new in the transmission that they have a lot of material so the teeth from the syncros are grabbing tightly to the gears and making it difficult to complete the gear change. he also said that i should give it a break in period of about three months. i have a one year waranty on the transmission with the mechanic and if anything bad happens i can take it back and he will fix it no questions.