300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Are these ECU's the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:51 PM

Are these ECU's the same?

I have a 87 NA 5spd. That has a lack of power problem after the engine warms up. Posted before asking if anyone knows why the car would run great when cold and loses some power when warm, but got no answers. I have done more than a full tune-up, as well as tested as many of the sensors I could. even replaced some of them.

A friend of mine had a spare ECU from a 86 NA 5 spd, PN A18-650M24 and mine had the correct number of A18-676M80. maybe it's me wanting to solove the problem but the car appears to run a little faster now that I swapped the ECU's. Does anyone know if differant yrs of ECU's might of had differant software/programing?

This car is like new inside and out and is worth fixing. It's like show room new.

Thanks

Chris
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM

O2 sensor is different for the 87 and 86.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Thanks

I know the timing belt was replaced not long ago, but before I bought it. I'm suprised your car ran at all with the timing off that much.

So yours ran good cold and like $hit when it warmed up??

I have replaced almost all the sensors in the car and done a full tune up. Maybe when I get time I'll pull the timing belt covers off and see what it's set to. This problem is on the red car in my sign. It's like new in and out. So worth fixing.

Right now I have the silver Turbo in the shop, just put the engine back in after putting new main and rod bearings in it. can't wait to finish it. Still have to hook everything back up.

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
O2 sensor is different for the 87 and 86.
On a vaugly simular note, this website about fixing a lean running problem says that the 1987 ECU is compatible with 84-86 oxygen sensor. What's your thoughts on that?
http://www.zheritage.com/index.php?page=leansurge

does the 87 ECU work with the older oxygen sensor but the older ECU will not work with the 87 oxygen sensor?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:15 PM

87 NA ecu can be swapped into the 84-85 NA models and run properly. but it will NOT be optimal for the 86 models.

same does not hold true for the turbo models.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
The Evil Twin

So the ECU might correct some other issues, but to fix any rich conditions a 1987 oxygen sensor should be swapped into the '86 NA Z as well...
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the tip bradturpin13. I checked the timing tonight and it's set right. I also tied a diff MAF sensor. Still not any better.

I'll keep looking.