300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Stock Stereo / Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Stock Stereo / Amplifier

('87 GLL) So I'm poking around my stock stereo/amp setup, specifically the DIN cable going from head unit to amplifier ... it doesn't exist in the Hayne's.

The DIN cable carries the audio signal from head to amp, and then the "rectangle" connector on the amp carries the higher power signal to the speakers?

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my speakers don't work ... I've got it down to either the Amp or Radio ... and i've already swapped out the amp with one I got from ebay. Bad from seller? Possibly. But the wiring diagrams aren't very helpful.

The whole "Let's save space by putting in all years and all trim levels into one picture" idea is extremely frustrating.

Anyone have any good notes/pictures/diagrams that can help?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by MartyrComplx
('87 GLL) So I'm poking around my stock stereo/amp setup, specifically the DIN cable going from head unit to amplifier ... it doesn't exist in the Hayne's.
Nope. Sure doesn't.
The DIN cable carries the audio signal from head to amp, and then the "rectangle" connector on the amp carries the higher power signal to the speakers?
You are correct.
I'm trying to troubleshoot why my speakers don't work ... I've got it down to either the Amp or Radio ... and i've already swapped out the amp with one I got from ebay. Bad from seller? Possibly. But the wiring diagrams aren't very helpful.
So you've tested the speakers and they work, right? Amps rarely go bad. More than likely, it's the stereo. They're notorious for going out. Most people just replace them with an aftermarket unit and be done with it. Rather pointless to keep the original stereo, since you can't buy tapes any more.
The whole "Let's save space by putting in all years and all trim levels into one picture" idea is extremely frustrating.
The repair manual is primarily for mechanical repairs. Was never intended to be an electronics guide. The digital instrumentation isn't exactly covered in it as well.
Anyone have any good notes/pictures/diagrams that can help?
Replace the head unit. It's my guess your issues are with that piece of equipment.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM

I've tested the speakers, yes. 1 bad speaker and 3 good speakers, installed and connected none work. I was really hoping to keep the stock head unit, it helps tie the rest of the "retro" tech together .. I've just been using a cassette adapter for my mp3s.

I was suspecting the amp because originally it was only a rear speaker that wasn't working. .. jiggled the din cable at the amp and it would work intermittently a little more jiggling and prodding caused all the speakers to the stop ...there's the possibility the jiggling shorted something out on either side maybe

Ive ohm checked the din cable itself and each pin is good to the corresponding pin ... shield to shield ... there are no shorts or opens in the cable. Just to rule everyrhing I can out.

Im wondering where in the head it couldve gone bad at because the led volume meter still shows audii signal, just wish I had some schematics for the amp or radio.

But yes, I've come to terms with the fact that I might indeed have to go aftermarket.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM

You can always try taking the stereo to an electronic repair shop. Chances are a good place will be able to fix it for you for less than a decent new stereo.