300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Pilot bushing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

Pilot bushing...

So I started swapping my clutch... bit of history I suppose, picked up this a my 3rd '86 turbo Z31 frame, moving my suspension parts onto each as I go. Since this one appears to be a keeper however, I finally got into more depth on this one. Anyway, since the tranny sounded kinda fried when I got it, always intended to swap it out with the one from my last frame since it always seemed smooth as butter. Interestingly, when I got it out of the current one I discovered it may have been just pretty dry- it's been standing on end for almost a couple months and has hardly leaked anything out of it. Probably scrapping it with the last frame anyway, so kinda moot.

The real question I have is about the pilo bushing. I got my clutch kit, and it included a new pilot bushing along with alignment tool. I figured I'm only doing this once hopefully, so I go one better and get a roller bushing from courtesyparts in TX. So I get a blind hole puller set from the parts store thinking this should be pretty close to the service tool the spec in the FSM. After checking out the back of teh crank though, now I'm unsure and hoping somebody can clarify for me before I proceed.

The pilot that's in there looks nothing like either of the replacements I have on hand. It appears to be brass, or maybe that cadmium plating they use on some of the pieces? That'snot the big deal though, it's mostly the dimensions of the thing that's in the crank... mostly the outside and inside diameters look way off when you compare them to the replacements. I was going to use the pack with grease method and drive it out with a bushing driver approach, that's when I discovered the inside diameter of teh one in the crank was larger than my relacements. Holding either replacement up to the crank, the one in there appears to have a larger outside diameter also, so I'm not even sure that once I got it out it the new one would even be snug in there. The weirdest thing though is that it doesn't even look like just an insert... course I don't know what the hole in the crank looks like once it's out, but it looks like the bushing in there is just the hole itself? If that makes sense? I just don't see an end to the bushing to get behind with the tool- it just looks like the 'bushing' bottoms out in the crank which doesn't make sense at all. Is this a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket replacement???

It just seems weird that the replacement bushing fit perfectly on my input shaft, which would mean it's gotta have a good 1mm all around when in the one that's in there now. I know the inside diameter is larger because the biggest bushing driver i could fit into it wouldn't fit into either of my replacement bushings.

Anyway, check out the picture and I appreciate any feedback anybody has. In this car, I had some horrible drivetrain noises, especially in reverse, and I thought it was entirely the transmission- hence the tranny swap. Now I'm wondering if this bushing had anything to do with it as well?
Attached Thumbnails Pilot bushing...-2011-10-31_22-46-43_40.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 PM

Looks fine to me! Replace it either way though. It should be a tight fit if it isnt already. If it doesnt fit you can always buy an OEM from you dealer.