300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

how big can you go??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Question how big can you go??

What is the stock size on a 84-86 Turbo? I belive mine is 2 1/2, can u run 2 3/4 or is that too big? I just got a pipe bender and I'm gonna go straight back as I can and put a magnaflow on. I have a K&N cold air intake and I was thinking about installing a boost adjuster this weekend. It runs 7lbs stock and I'm thinking I can bump it up to 13lbs and still run everything else stock. I got rid of that nasty miss to, Idle air control valve was not functioning and it had a vacum leak between the valve and the plenum, repelaced valve and sealed it up. Oxygen sensor was dead, replaced that got the A/F gauge working and found a distrubutor in the junk yard. Now that she's cleaned up I can do my exhaust, so whats a good pipe size, any good recomendations?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:21 PM

Well, Certified Muffler sells a complete turbo back system in 2.5" or 3" for our cars. So, I'd say that at least a 3" system will fit on our cars.

Wink
86 NA auto
86 Turbo 5 speed (pending delivery)
Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 AM

Cool, I measured it last night it is 2.5", so I'm just gonna do the can for now and when I can afford the rest I'll get it then. I took the cat out a while ago and welded flanges on a 03' 350z resonator and that just bolts up in place of the cat, but I bought a $40. thrush can and I dont think it flows well, besides it sounds quiet. I'll probally go 3" next spring. When I get done port n' and polishing my heads. Thanks for the heads up.