300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

HELP!!Transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:32 AM

HELP!!Transmission swap

Need Help!! I just found out that my 85 Standard has a Blown Engine.
So I have a delema. I also have 85 2+2 Automatic, so the choice is Purchase a used engine, plus installation and add a cost that I could never get back from the Standard.

So, my question is as Follows: Is it complicated to change out the Automatic transmission with the Standard? and the only other thing would be the ECU. Correct. Please let me know?

OR is there any other engine that can be a swap at a lower cost for the standard car that has the Blown engine?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 PM

hehe, I am in the middle of that now
it is not hard for the switch, things I have found to need....

A tp switch from the standard
clutch/ brake pedals
the master cyl.
the lines
the tranny
ect....

the ECU can stay also, I have played merry go round with three so far( 2 manuals and 1 auto.), and no Diff. the info for the auto tranny relays thru the TP switch and others.... so I found out so far. so the ECU has no idea what you have for drive train because the sensors are tweaked for whatever is installed.

Last edited by WolfMan; 05-04-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 AM

After talking more with My mechanic, we have agreed that the cost far exceeds kepping the car . it would be easierto just purchase anothe standard in the future. So I will keep the automatic that I have redone and use the standard for parts.
If anyone nees parts from a 1985 standard execpt the engine, everithing ese works fine, the interior is blue and the seats are in great shape, glass etc. just let me know what you need.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:18 PM

LOL... I dont think you understand... if you already own the standard, how would swapping all the parts you have to another car be more expensive? maybe the mechanic offered you a great deal??? I would stray form that.. it is taking me 4 days to do the swap... So I really dont see what the problem is.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Rent a hoist and just swap the motors. You could have it done in a weekend. Get a manual and a friend to help you out and it should go by relatively easily. That way you wouldn't have to worry about swapping out the pedal assembly and what not.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:57 AM

Thanks for every advise you have given.

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Rent a hoist and just swap the motors. You could have it done in a weekend. Get a manual and a friend to help you out and it should go by relatively easily. That way you wouldn't have to worry about swapping out the pedal assembly and what not.
I spoke to y mechanic and he advised me that his cost on swaping the engine,from my prestine 2+2 that I rebuilt , exterior and interior , was not worth changing the engine because he also found undecarrige corrosion, and the cost would be arround 1,000 . best scenerio is just to use the stndard as parts and latter I will buy a 93 z32 or 91 MR2.

Alll said and done There aresome parts I could use from he DEAD z31 standard.

By the way I did resolve the 2000 RPM issue on the 2+2 It was i he harness from the Iddle control to the ECU. now all is well. One car Running is eter then none?

Thanks againg everyone
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM

well, glad you figured out a solution, by the way, what is the issue about all this rust stuff? $1000? pff All you need to do is rout out ALL the corrosion and weld a piece of stainless steel over the affected area. (if its body damage) I mean, it sounds like you spent alot of time on that beauty, why not look around for alternatives to keep her alive? and before anyone tries to correct me on that procedure.... remember what I do for multi billion dollar aircraft/ equipment.

Just send me a picture of that damage and I will reference the best way on repairing the damage. this goes for anyone
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by WolfMan
well, glad you figured out a solution, by the way, what is the issue about all this rust stuff? $1000? pff All you need to do is rout out ALL the corrosion and weld a piece of stainless steel over the affected area. (if its body damage) I mean, it sounds like you spent alot of time on that beauty, why not look around for alternatives to keep her alive? and before anyone tries to correct me on that procedure.... remember what I do for multi billion dollar aircraft/ equipment.

Just send me a picture of that damage and I will reference the best way on repairing the damage. this goes for anyone
Its the frame itself that is rusted badly, both sides. the body is stright the paint is great, but to be relistic I have given up on the standard. I will talk to my mechanic about the transmission swap. and make my 2+2 standard.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:14 AM

just pull the lines off a junked one.
What you will need:
Appropriate driveshaft (Is it a 2+2?)
Crossmember. Mounts are the same. I'd rec
comend these mounts though: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...b-6c15bd6ded94
Center console shifter boot
Correct wiring harness, or re-wire the neutral safety switch, and reverse lamp.

I'm pretty effin tired, I miss anything guys?