300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

gross polluter???? (Free 86 Slicktop for your Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Unhappy gross polluter???? (Free 86 Slicktop for your Help!)

so, i went to smog my 50 AE the other day--got told the z31 is now a gross polluter -- only on the first pass was it bbbaaaadddd, but the second pass was way OK--so now we go to diagnosis on tue AM--that first run was done cold--after a brief 5 mile run up the 15 fwy from coronado to aero drive (Z-Whizz)--suspect EGR--not certain. any one else with that problem?

Last edited by z-hag; 11-16-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
User Friendly

Check the ECU codes and let us know the results.

Also, what were the emission test results and allowable limits (HC, CO and CO2 levels, O2, Dilution and NOX)? Scan and upload your inspection report if you can, so we can see in which areas your car failed.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-02-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM

84 z31's been on CA's gross polluter list for a while now ...

I can only take my z to a "test only" facility because of that ...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
my 86 z31s both have to go to test only--because they are lder than 1995, the cut off date for smog test only facilities--newer get to go to the dealers and independents. my AE didnot SAY test only, so i started out at my repair shop--tomorrow i get diagnosed. pray for less expense!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Ruff Ryder

who wants to bet its vacuum related?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Queen of Yachts

ok--here goes----leaking blow off valve; leaking air induction tube; cracked and leaking AFM; leaking idle air hose; old and lazy O2 sensors that need to be replaced. ALL AT RETAIL........and so 'we' cannibalize the NA slicktop to complete the AE. here's the deal--anyone within driving distance of coronado, ca--the offer is: you help me cannibalize my NA, you get to take home a running parts car. as it is NA and my other 2 z31s are turbo, there WILL be a running parts car left over after i have removed the pieces i really need. i hope SOMEONE might want the car--it has been my daily driver for 2 years, i love the car--but i need to keep the other 2 girls running, so i will do as i have herein written. it is a 1986 300zx na slicktop. UGLY but runs really well. good drive train. rack and pinion already changed out 1 1/2 years ago.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM
User Friendly

Go for it, guys! I would if I lived in CA. (I edited your thread to draw more attention, Z-Hag. )
Old 10-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Queen of Yachts

barbie--how do i get the pix to lie side by side instead of missionary position??? and thankyou for the edit!!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
User Friendly

Sig. fixed.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Queen of Yachts

the NA does run REALLY well--i'll give iher a bubble bath then take and post pix of her-

thanx--is perfect, now for a while!!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
User Friendly

Z-Hag, you might want to post a thread on 3ZC.com and title it "Free 86 Slicktop for your Help". I'll bet there's a bunch of guys who'd love to take you up on your offer.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
No Club Love

Did you know you live on an island, well you forgot to menchion it at least.I'd be there if i was in Cali, but i'm finishing up school, with out problems. What all do you need fixed. What you said, is easy, it'll take an hour or so. The o2 sensor would be the worst depending on were they are. The rest your taking off the n/a correct. Man i wish i was in cali.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Queen of Yachts

actually, coronado is a sand spit peninsula filled in with other people's garbage disguised as landfill with a HUGE navy presence--i know that well, because their wakes make my coffee fly every morning!--layered with people who think ice cream comes out instead of poo. and they cannot drive as well as illinoisians.(from the mind of someone who lived in st louis for 4 years too long). nothing against illinois,but the average joe there cannot drive.

hi, barbie--i tried to access 3xc with my service i am not able to get there. could you post there for me and have any respondents come here?? or to a better suggestion. i figgered if they come here then we can bash 'em for not being as fun as here.??!!

oh,gawd--i need to start chargin money--sorry 'bout the 'ho'in'--jwreck--neither car takes much to fix. yes, parts from the NA slicktop go to preservation of the AE--decision made most objectively with considerations given to ALL aspects of : general overal appearance; accrued and known mileage on odometer; presence of blowby; use of oil--# cans/1000 miles; potential financial benefit - bottom line for return ---etc.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-06-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 AM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by z-hag
oh,gawd--i need to start chargin money--sorry 'bout the 'ho'in'--jwreck--neither car takes much to fix. yes, parts from the NA slicktop go to preservation of the AE--decision made most objectively with considerations given to ALL aspects of : general overal appearance; accrued and known mileage on odometer; presence of blowby; use of oil--# cans/1000 miles; potential financial benefit - bottom line for return ---etc.
Right? anyways if it's still down there, mid janurary, i'll come get her. Sorry but school first. Anyways, i wish i could be there to help but ya no.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Queen of Yachts

i'm not in a real big hurry--i have to save up for evrything, now because of disability money and all that sordid balderdash. school is the ONLY reason to delay on ANYTHING. whatcha studyin'?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
No Club Love

High school, duh. I'm still a youngn but i love cars expecially Z's. After school, i was going to take a year off and explore. Then back to school, probably Diesel mechanics. Then nascar automotive. Depends on me though. I really dislike most school, as well as the ignorant people. The only people i get along with are mechanics and you all.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
User Friendly

hi, barbie--i tried to access 3xc with my service i am not able to get there. could you post there for me and have any respondents come here?? or to a better suggestion. i figgered if they come here then we can bash 'em for not being as fun as here.??!!
I have a thread ready to post for you on 3ZC, but need to know whether the Slicktop: is a 2 or 4-seater, has auto or manual transmission, how many miles on the engine, is the car all stock and what color is the interior and exterior?

Also, NO bashing here or on 3ZC. I moderate both websites, remember?

i'm not in a real big hurry--i have to save up for evrything
Speaking of saving up ... I changed the offer to state that the Slicktop is FREE if the person supplies the parts AND repairs your AE (NO cannibalizing of the Slicktop). I was just reading over the parts your AE needs and realized that your Slicktop does not have the correct parts to repair your AE. Also, if the person is able to just drive away the Slicktop, rather than towing it, it'll be more of an incentive to accept your offer. Sound good?

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-04-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Also, NO bashing here or on 3ZC. I moderate both websites, remember?
Wow what a women.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
Wow what a women.
LOL, it's forum rules, not my own.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Queen of Yachts

barbie--by bashing i meant have fun with-----
there are so few parts i can use for the AE from my na--it is a 2+0,--i can use the a/c, i can use windowmotors, door panels, or part, and some very few other parts--that's why i said the other way,.....but i like your way better, lady--you're GOOD. thankyou. this dial up stuff is so neanderthal--but i haveno choice in how i can do this from home. that's why EMO is always growling somewhat--i cannot always edit--esp if the navy is running around like now. and i live under the bridge like a proper troll.
they need to bring tools--i don't have any anymore--some dude tho't i didn't need them as much as he did--he musta pawned them or something--i dunno--long time ago, now.

barbie--is that pic really you?? if so----dam,gal--these dudes are droolin!

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-06-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
User Friendly

there are so few parts i can use for the AE from my na--it is a 2+0,--i can use the a/c, i can use windowmotors, door panels, or part, and some very few other parts
Wait, you didn't mention switching out any other parts earlier. All that was mentioned was: BOV, air induction tube, AFM, idle air hose and O2 sensor. We can throw in a power window motor to the parts and do a swap on the door panels, but the a/c (assuming you mean the compressor) might not go over so well. Lemme know what you want, so I can post your thread on 3ZC. And, once it's posted, you can't add any more parts to the list, cuz the offer will be considered final.

Also, does the Slicktop have an auto or manual transmission?
How many miles are on the engine?
Is the car all stock?
What color is the interior and exterior?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
User Friendly

barbie--is that pic really you?? if so----dam,gal--these dudes are droolin!
Yeah, that's me in my avatar, and thank you!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Queen of Yachts

wowie, girl--whew. i need a plastic sturgeon, man. wow. the a/c i could live without--it is a ttop--and my other turbo has one with only leaky hoses, so i can use the setup in the AE. piglet will still run perfect, because i still drive her all the time. and she has a semi-rice exhaust--not quite a coffee can, has good airflow to preserve her many milesonit engine--less restriction, better durability--bullet was the brand--i don't think they exist anymore, but i don't know. was express muffler in chula vista. she IS ugly--but she will make someone very happy--and be a good instructional instrument when it is time to rebuild her, in about 40k miles--she does have blowby and does use some oil--about 1 qt every 350-500 miles--but she LOVES to RUN and stretch her legs. but, dam, she's oogly.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Does the Slicktop have an auto or manual transmission?
How many miles are on the engine?
Is the car all stock?
What color is the interior and exterior?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Über User

whats a plastic sturgeon gonna do for you?? lol....a fake rare fish?? lol jk....

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-04-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: gross polluter???? (Free 86 Slicktop for your Help!)