300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

F---king Smog!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:24 PM

F---king Smog!!!

Hey Guys, Im Having A Bit Of A Trouble Here. Here's The Story , I Have An N/a W/c I Converted To Turbo, 3" Straight Pipe, Took Out The Egr, Vacuum Canister, Catalyctic Converter, Added An Fmu And Nos Fuel Pump, Still N/a Ecu And Injectors. Now I Need To Smog It ,naturally This Car Will Definiteley Not Pass At All, Coming From An Island We Dont Deal With This Kind Of Stuff (smog). Anyways I Started Putting Back The Vacuum Canister, Cat, And Took Out The Fmu And Fuel Pump And Went To Try And See If It Will Pass, But It Was Still Way Off From Passing. "by The Way I Stay In Cali!!!" I Love This Z A Lot And Wanna Keep Driving It But With Smog Problems I Cant And This Is My Only Car Too. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!! Long Live The Z!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:38 PM

Your car's performance would have been just fine with the egr, vac canister, and cat. Matter of fact with the exception of the worn out cat, it would have been better. Best bets to increase the chances of passing are tune-up, new cat, new o2 sensor, and oil change. You probably removed the AIV too right?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Without the EGR valve, you won't pass the visual inspection unless Stevie Wonder is the mechanic. You could probably pass the high RPM test without the cat, but won't pass at idle. Where are you failing? Are the hydrocarbons high? What are your CO and O2 readings? What octane gas are you using? There's a trick with the Z32's that involves disconnecting the vacuum hose from the fuel dampner. You need to plug the vacuum leak and hide the hose so that the mechanic can't see it. If your running anything higher than 87 octane, then run the thing out of gas and run 87 through it for the test. It will burn cleaner than higher octane fuel because it ignites at lower temperatures. That will drop your HC readings. The main thing is still going to be the EGR. I'd leave the EGR on there. You probably won't notice a difference with the EGR on or off on the N/A, or the turbo for that matter. Have you ever thought about installing a hi-flow cat? Again...probably won't notice a difference, but you won't have to deal with the headache every 2 years.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 PM

readings from the smog

Hc-457, Co-7.6, Co2-9.9, O2-0.3, No-117 This Was On A Cold Day... No Fmu, No Fuel Pump, With The Octane From The Gas Last One I Remembered Was 91, New Cat On It. Again The Egr Wasnt Connected. Then I Tried Again Now With The Engine Hot, Did The Same Things But Played With The Timing A Little.... Got It To Specs
For Passing But The Egr Wasnt There, So It Was Good At First Then It Fluctuates This Was At Idle, But At 2500rpm It Was Good. Im Gonna Put The Egr Back And See What Happens Maybe It Will Help. Does Anybody Know If Those Thing They Sell Saying Guaranteed To Pass Additives Work??? So If Anybody Else Have Any Tricks In Their Sleeves Or Hook-ups Let Me Know. Desperate Here Guys I Just Want My Car To Look And Drive Good And Stay Legal!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 PM

457 on hydrocarbons!! 7.6 on CO!! Was this the actual test, or just the pre-test? That's almost off the chart.

Originally Posted by maroon300zx
No Fmu, No Fuel Pump, ....
Interesting..how'd it run with no fuel pump. That additive won't help you here. You need the EGR. That would make it all nice and legal again. If it still doesn't, then tyr the 87 octane...it'll work.

Your CO2 is too low and your O2 is too high. The two should total approx 15; which they do, but the O2 should measure almost 0. You could have a bad O2 sensor. Post the readings up here after you install the EGR valve and let's go from there.