300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM

89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke

Hello guys, my name is Ralph I'm new to the forums... I recently bought my fourth Z an 89 5 spd (with 209k miles) in super mint condition from an old lady that used to own the car since 93. When I first bought the car it has minor leaks from both valve cover and oil pan and a full tune up.

on the way home the car home ran like new, engine was smooth with no ticking nor knocking noise and was idle-ling super good that you couldn't hear the engine insde the cabin when in a dead stop in neutral

when brought the car home and decided to give it a good throughout check and the last time the timing belt was done was at 102k miles

so being mechanically incline i decided to give the Z a complete timing belt job with water pump and thermostat, both valve covers, new plenum gasket, vacuum hoses and belts.... last thing I did was a pressure wash underneath the engine to remove all the old gunk..

the Z ran super nice right after it came out of my garage for 10 days... I was using it going to Tampa and forth to where I live, but started noticing when I was using my A/C on full blast the temp gauge want it to over heat but NEVER got hot just flickering. So I decided to change the fan clutch and left the car on for a good 30 mins and I noticed smoke come out between the power steering pump and the passenger side cylinder head and KABOOM white smoke coming out the tail pipe

so what came to mind was, the head-gasket took a $hit in front of me..
I did a compression test and all 6 cylinder gave below 120 PSI

So my question is; Can a car burst it head gasket at anytime being that old with that mileage ? and without getting hot ?!?

like i said, since i bought the car it drove like new with lots of power !!!

please help me and thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails 89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke-300zx.jpg   89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke-300zx-2.jpg   89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke-300zx-3.jpg   89 300zx Z31 strange squirt of oil and white smoke-300zx-4.jpg  

Last edited by RafyBoy89; 04-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM

anyone ???
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Looks bad

I would be a little unusual to just randomly blow a head gasket. But that sure looks like what has happened. Not sure why you just let it set for 30 minutes running. If you had a cooling issue, that sounds like a risky test. Looks like time for a tear down. Was a bit hard to figure out "when I was using my A/C on full blast the temp gauge want it to over heat but NEVER got hot just flickering." if the gauge wasn't moving, just flickering, how could it be overheating, unless your gauge wasn't hooked up correctly, or your thermostat was stuck open. Perhaps something worked its way loose in the 10 days after the timing belt change. Did you replace the small hose inside the front cover when you did the new belt? Sorry this all happened, good luck getting her back on the road.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM

sorry that i wasn't detailed...

well while using the A/C on Max the gauge was slowly going towards the "hot" i would shut the A/C then would come back to its normal temp range..

I let the car on when i changed the fan clutch because at the same time was bleeding the brakes after i changed the brake master cylinder...

I didn't change the hose.. i checked it and was still reusable !
Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Timing Belt

There are a few parts that its always recommended to change when you are replacing the belt, one is always that hose, because its so hard to get to, and relatively cheap, also replace the tentioner, tentioner stud and water pump. It is a little strange that the AC was causing enough load to over heat your engine. When it was running without the AC on, would the temp stabilize ?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Yea, I replaced everything...

and yes the temp would stabilize when A/C off

out of the blue a slight leakage came from the passenger side of the head that dripped all the way to the alternator... after that I shut off the car, and when I started it again was when it started smoking white...

funny thing is that all of that happen right after i changed the fan clutch !! SMDH :/