300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

1st Kicks out

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:27 PM

1st Kicks out

Hey guys,

Couple questions real quick. First one and the one that bothers me the most. My 1st gear on the tranny keeps kicking out like there is no gate in it at all. Is the gate bad or what. A nissan dealer just replaced the thing like a year and half ago and I have already had to replace the throw out bearing because it completely blew up.

Secound thing is my aif/fuel gauge is a bit over active. It jumps from rich to lean in a split secound. Not like your typical gauges that are a bit slower. Is it the computer working to much and changing the mixture that much, or what. I know the gauge is working because it goes rich under full throttle and to lean as soon as I let off. Just wondering.

Third thing. When I want to turn up the boost more I want to go with the z32 fuel pump out of the twin turbo? Is it a direct replacement? What injectors are good for that? Are they just drop in injectors or something special? Pretty much can I pull them off a mustang and have them work.

Im doing a full exaust and intercooler, up grading the turbo and fuel as soon as my mandrel bender gets here. 3" the whole way back with a dump valve before the cat. Its going to be intense.

O yea the car on 92 octane and 13 psi is sick as He**. Its getting dynoed on the 23 I'll see what numbers it throws down on 10 psi and 13.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by machsound
Secound thing is my aif/fuel gauge is a bit over active. It jumps from rich to lean in a split secound. Not like your typical gauges that are a bit slower. Is it the computer working to much and changing the mixture that much, or what. I know the gauge is working because it goes rich under full throttle and to lean as soon as I let off. Just wondering...
The O2 sensor actually pulses a signal to the ECU. What brand A/F gauge are you using? It's probably just really sensitive at responding to the signal from the O2 gauge. Basically, it's not buffered at all to dampen the on/off pulsing of the O2 sensor. This is why I dont think narrow band O2 sensor make good candidates for A/F gauges. They're not a very reliable means of testing. An acutal lambda sensor is much more accurate.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by machsound
My 1st gear on the tranny keeps kicking out like there is no gate in it at all. Is the gate bad or what.
Pull the boot and check the shifter bushing.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
there are many proper z repair shops that do not take your money and leave you thumbing--stealership do not always get it right. try a specialty z shop and save $--that way you only have to fix it ONCE instead of yearly, or whenever the warranty is out.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Im using an Auto Meter ultra-light gauge and a new boush o2 sensor. I just have never seen a gauge do that before.

Shifter bushing? on the top of the tranny. What should it look like because it only does it in first gear. If its the bushing im just going to get a short shifter along with the bushing. Why put the stock stuff back in there?

Lucky enough I didn't pay to put the new tranny in the owner before me did. But like i said that thing has so many problems. So I will prob end up putting a new one in sometime soon. I don't think they they knew what they were doing. I am going to go there sometime and talk with them.

I wish there was someone around that knew more than me about these cars. (not saying I know everything but no one knows anything about them) most people think its a 4 banger. I love it when little honda boys pull up next to me reving the He** out of there motors and try to race. After 1st gear they just stop.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Über User

is it the light up LED air/fuel guage that uses led to signify lean/stoich/rich. if so that bastard dances all day. unlesss your on it hard it doesnt read a constant thing. i honeslty think they are useless.