300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Water Pump

Ok I just finished doing a comlete tune-up on my 86 Turbo. I also did an electric fan conversion. My problem is that I installed a brand new water pump from Nissan and it tested out fine but when I started the car it sounds as if I have a shot bearing. I checked the pulley but it is torqued down correctly so it is definetly the bearing. The odd thing is that my cooling system works fine and the temperature stayed right on the mark but when I shift you can hear the pump moving faster then everything else (pulley goes to engine speed but the pump is still moving faster). It is still spinning faster then the pulley for a second or two. Man I am pissed but I did enjoy driving it with my Z club it was alot of fun I just had to be careful. now I have to take it off the road again well atleast I got to drive it one day after two months of solid work on the car.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:40 PM

Well it's not my water pump. It looks as if my crank plate managed to come off the key and it is just spinning around. But the noise when I shift only happens as I am driving I can't rev and drop the clutch and reproduce the sound. So it could also be the throw out bearing on the clutch. Which is ok if it is that ill get a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and a nice clutch and call it a day. But it could also be a bearing so that might not be fun. Ill find out this weekend when I take the car apart again.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:08 PM
VIVA LA Z31!

Originally Posted by James Hesson
Well it's not my water pump. It looks as if my crank plate managed to come off the key and it is just spinning around. But the noise when I shift only happens as I am driving I can't rev and drop the clutch and reproduce the sound. So it could also be the throw out bearing on the clutch. Which is ok if it is that ill get a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and a nice clutch and call it a day. But it could also be a bearing so that might not be fun. Ill find out this weekend when I take the car apart again.
Hey James, what kinda sound is it? like a chirping, squeeling noise when you let the clutch out? cuz if so mine does the same thing, and they said its either the pilot bearing or the throw out bearing :/ ...the problem is i already have a race clutch and dont wanna have to buy a whole new clutch assembly
Old 03-29-2004, 09:43 AM

I had a similar problem in my '85 a few years ago. We were able to rule out the pilot and throw-out bearings. It would up being a bearing inside the tranny. It was making kind of a high pitched whirring sound. The damn thing literally exploded inside the housing. Luckily it didn't get into any of the gears. Dad and I rebuilt the tranny. How that thing works is still a friggin' mystery to me.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Well its almost like a turbo but with a grinding noise mixed in. It sounded like it was coming from the water pump but I finally ruled that out. I really think it is the crank plate just off the key. I am going to look into it this week so Ill tell you guys what it is. It also may of been my oil pump since oil was kind of low (oops). My light never turned on but I put some more oil in it so Ill have to check on it but it is raining today so Ill test it tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Tough Guy

I have an exedy clutch kit, in box, with tool and bearing. If you guys need it im looking to sell it. Let me know. donstsnj@aol.com
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks but I found the problem. My upper pulley (the tensioner for the A/C belt) wasn't tightened down enough. I have to replace the pulley now but that is simple so I am just going to order my new pulley and put it on.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Oh and the noise when shifting ahhh my throw-out bearing went AWOL so I have to replace it. I am going to get a lightweight flywheel and a JWT clutch disc. But I will get everything else through Nissan.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:24 PM

All of the noises went away YAY. All I did was replace the idler pulley.