300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM

roll bar

i have found most everything i want to do to my 87 300zx turbo, and i even found where i can get what im about to ask but i cant remember where. im hoping someone knows where i can find it. im looking for a roll bar, just a 4 point roll bar for the rear right behind the seats but it has to have the bar on it to allow me to bolt a 4 point harness to it. does anyone know where i can find it again? thanks for all help.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 AM

There was some lively discussions on the topic at z31.com ..

Here are some links ....

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PIC08/50-1937

http://www.swracecars.com/app_listing.asp

Last edited by inqui-Z-tor; 12-29-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Dont z31s have a factory roll bar in the back behind the t-tops. I have seen one of these cars fliped and all was broken but behind the t-tops... Its just what I have heard, maybe I can find a parts car to cut into... Im not 100% sure but again its just what I have heard. But if u want the 4 pnt harness I suppose you have to buy one...
Old 12-30-2006, 06:17 PM

No factory roll bar in z31s of any year ...
Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM

well in that case I like the one from S&W http://www.swracecars.com/shopping/s...asp?Search=Yes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM

sorry i didnt reply sooner but i have been gone for a few days. the one from the z store is the one i found before. i dont know why i didnt think to look there wheni was trying to find it again. thanks again Z-tor.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM

that roll bar is 8/10ths of what my z costed
Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 AM

yea i didnt notice that before so i think im going to go with the one from sw race cars instead. i mean $180 sure as hell beats $800 any day for almost the same thing.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:33 PM

I'll be the 1st to tell you .. I know NOTHING about roll bars or roll cages .. BUT .. depending on your intentions .. I recommend studying the applications very closely .. while cost is a understood factor .. don't scrimp too much .. afterall its a safety factor ..

Much like helmets .. yes you can purchase $50 helmets or $2000 racing helmets .. the bigger question? "What's your head worth?"

As I mentioned .. I know NOTHING about roll bars/cages .. just becareful ..
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Well I look at it this way. I wasnt even planning on a roll bar. But if its cheap enough why not. I know people that weld so installing it isnt a problem... a crappy roll bar is im sure a better roll bar then nothing at all... Unless what you slam on the brakes it comes loose and hits you in the head!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Not withstanding a discussion on "something is better than nothing" ...

If the roll bar/cage is designed (safety, structural integrity) properly, installed properly (allows driver to enter and exit) and with the appropriate materials .. "YES" I would agree "something is better than nothing" ..

What you don't want is a "false sense of security" .. where you're testing the structural integrity of the Z .. and the roll bar/cage .. and YOUR LIFE!

Thats why I just mention .. please choose wisely, be informed and be careful.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:30 AM

I think the diffrence between the two is that the sw kit is diy, and the zstore kit is fully welded just bolt in. the sw kit actually looks like the better choice to me because of the fact you can get it in an 8 point or 10 point kit.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:14 PM

yea i will agree with the whole safety idea behind, and i also know nothing about roll bars accept that they are safety devices. but in the same matter im not really going to be doing much racing with the car, a few drags at the strip now and then but its mostly going to be for show. the big reason i was looking for the roll bar is so i can have something to mount the 4 point harness to instead of trying to find a good solid location. i was thinking about the one from SW, getting it and cutting the 2 bars that run from the rear up the sides to the front because the would be in my fat ***' way of getting in and out of my Z, but like i said im just looking for it for the show and 4 point harness purpose.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM

got to thinking about somthing. i was thinking about getting stupid and ridiculous by putting to small LCD screens in the rear of the headliner(behind the rear seats)just to f*** with whoever is behind me, lol. but then i got to thinking, maybe the roll bar for the harness' would be in the way. if i was getting a 2+2 this wouldnt be a problem but i think it might be on the 2 seater. any opinions,ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 AM

LOL .. I remember a pic of a z33 convertible ... the owner installed screens behind the drivers and passenger headrests. I guess it was for those that would be tailgating him .. LOL.

My understanding was that the screens were infact "operational" ...

edit: Photographs added

Just thinking . if you're gonna just do it to "mess" with those behind you ... why not install a flatscreen against your rear hatch glass .. say 18" or so .. LOL!

Last edited by inqui-Z-tor; 01-06-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:27 AM

yea that would be funny to but i also got to see out of my rear view. i have this thing where im always looking out all of my mirrors, i dont know why i do it but i do.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM

I use all of my mirrors too ..

btw .. in my prior post .. I added the pics of the z33 with the screened headrests .. you'll see the "roll bars" that protect them too ..
Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM

lol, thats funny, i'll give the person who did it credit for being creative but with the size of the opening in the "roll bars" those screens seem kind of pointless.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Dude, get a giant flatscreen tv that covers your entire hatch. Mount it so its facing inwards and then get a key hole camera. Hook it up to the tv so so can see out the rear, then you could black out the rear window. You could "mess" with your passengers instead of some random losers. And you could hook it up so thats its night vision camera, hmm thats really something that I want to do.

Last edited by PurpleGanjah; 01-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 PM

gotta admit, that made me laugh. in a good way though. lol
Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool

I'm not sure where you're going with wide screen TVs and remote cameras, but, the bars are easy enough to do if you have some fabrication and welding skills. On a difficulty scale of 1 (changing a tire) to 10 (nanotechnology), I'd put the project at about a 4 or 5. It is not plug and play...

Here are a couple of pics of mine. It's the S & W Race Cars NHRA approved version.

Right after installation

With the interior put back together
Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 PM

thats pretty much exactly what i want except i dont need the 2 bars the come up the side of the seats. i can weld and fab but probably not good enough to do something like this, ive only done small things like what teachers have you do for practice with it. hopefully by the time i get the turbo Z and the roll bar my skills will be better or i can just have my brother in law do it for me since i dont want to have to pay a mad amount of $ to have a professional do it. thanks for the pics.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM

Why dont you want the side bar? I like it, seeing pics of cars getting hit in the side, EIISHH
Old 01-08-2007, 04:08 PM

with the sparco seats im getting they are different on the sides than the seats that he has and i would be bashing my side into the bars all the time, and i dont really want that. heres the site links for my 2 Z's

first Z
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2292875

the turbo Z im getting
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2541017

if you take a look at the pic of the seats im getting and try to picture them with the roll bars yo will see what i mean. the seats pic is in the turbo page.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 PM

you can always cut the sides of the roll bar off... but not sure how affective the roll bar would be if even safer dont want the car to flip and the roll bar come at you... but it looks stout enough from the pics above.

did you say that you would bang into the side bars or there would be clearance issues with the seat and the bar?

Quick Reply: roll bar