300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

New to 300zx and allready have some problems :-D

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 09:05 PM

New to 300zx and allready have some problems :-D

Hey guys, me and my nephew (hes only 5 years younger than I am lol) just picked up a used 84 300Zx with around 125k on it, it was 500 bucks the body has been worked and painted within the last couple years, has newer model power leather seats etc so seems like a good deal.

Well apart from a leaking (you can see all kinds of cool rainbows inthe driveway on a rainy day LOL) valve cover gasket on the passenger side (thank god) It seems to have a horrible idle problem . it starts GREAT it starts RIGHT UP but if the car sits for a bit first, it will die immidialty after starting, until you rev it up a bit for a few moments, then it will lope and miss and carry on, but idle, fluctuating between like 800 and 1000 rpm it seems (its a digital dash so Its hard to tell EXACTLY how its acting since I am not used to it)...

From what the previous owner told me it has an upgraded throttle body (65mm I think he said?) and a maxima alternator. Its been converted to an electric fan. He replaced all the hoses and **** in the engine bay, its actually damn clean in there. He eliminated AC and stuff, plenty of room to work. One of the first things we were going to try was the CHTS but because warming up doesnt fix the problem I know that cant be the ONLY issue.

The car will drive allright ,but clearly is not smooth running above idle either, authough runs plenty well enough to drive, it doesnt try to stall when its revved or brought into neutral or anything it just stalls when first started up. Warming up does not help it idle any more smoothly, but does stop it stalling. Any ideas? Also can reach me on AIM if you want if you've got questions : AIM: Loktai . I'll grab some pics of it some time soon, I'll probably be on here plenty bitchin about it to you guys.

Charles
Old 10-09-2005, 12:04 AM

Have you gave it a tune up?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:53 AM

The previous owner basically redid the entire car, in the engine bay everything has been, uhhh,revamped. This car had an MSD when I first looked at it, he took it off before the sale but even with the MSD the car idled poorly, if anything there was only a slight improvment.

Charles
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 AM

Check the computer for codes. If you have a service manual it will tell you how to go about it.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:08 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Mello's right, the computer will most likely tell the truth, but if you can't do that... check your injectors... and you might want to do a compression check on all cylinders. Deffinetely check the fuel system... my car will often do the same thing as your describing when I'm low on fuel, or if I've put bad fuel (fuel with water in it) into the tank... the local Chevron's bad about that... You should remove all the stuff from the rear hatch (carpet, and insulator) You will find a circular plate in the middle of the hatch, with two screws, remove these screws and plate, be careful not to lose the O-ring, under this you will find the sending unit. You'll need either an 8mm socet/wrench, or a mid size phillips-head screwdriver. remove the sending unit and examine your tank, check for debris and other things that could be causing you a problem with your fuel.

THIS MAY NOT BE A SOLUTION FOR YOU. But it could help.

JD

Last edited by Velox ZX; 10-09-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Loktai
The previous owner basically redid the entire car, in the engine bay everything has been, uhhh,revamped. This car had an MSD when I first looked at it, he took it off before the sale but even with the MSD the car idled poorly, if anything there was only a slight improvment.

Charles
Regardless, any time you buy a used car always do a full tune up.

Go get a haines manual,it will tell you how to run codes.
And change the fuel filter,o2 sensor while you're at it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM

Will do, I'll keep ya posted to anything new. Thanks ! Also a new development the clutch goes to the floor and you have to pull it back up by hand, it stays up until you touch it again and it falls back down... the resivour had no fluid. Will check the slave cylinder first. Gotta get me a manual.. . lol

Charles
Old 10-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Are you sure it's used? It could be a brand new 84, right?