300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

My second 300zx, transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM

My second 300zx, transmission questions

So I picked up my second z31 today, and have a few questions about its transmission, but first, it is an 88 2-seater non-turbo with 238k on it only major down side is its auto transmission, it sounds like a lot of mileage, but man is this frame clean... Its ridiculous! And it was only $300. The car was sitting for over 2 years and the previous owner lost the keys to it. So I drilled out the ignition key cylinder and a checked out what it sounded like. And I did check all my fluids before doing so. Took some fresh gas and about 15 mins of cranking and it kind of started running, but finally it leveled out and it sounds so much better then my daily z31. Here is where we ran into some problems though, I know the timing belt will need to be done as it was last documented around 160K.

The reason for the post though is to see what some of y'all know about these automatic transmissions. I do plan on eventually swapping a 5-speed into it, but with the holidays coming up, I can't afford to dump that kind of money in her yet. So on the way back, the transmission was not all there, it was MAYBE 1/8th of a mile drive. I could feel it go into what I think is 2nd 3rd and 4th. I felt and saw rpm movement between 3 different gears. The shift going into the last gear was slow, about a half of a second between gears. Speed did not exceed 27 MPH. The vehicle was not responsive to the gas, it was like a slipping clutch in a manual. The first two were quicker though.

I guess what I am asking is how well do these auto transmissions hold up? I am considering doing a flush and filter change (if they have one) just to see if I can get it moving better for now. Oh, here is the kicker, while in the park and reverse position, the car would move forward under its own power. Could I also have a transmission linkage issue as well? I am about to go check out the FSM for the auto transmission since I have no experience with the auto version.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Monkies; 12-01-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Formatting easier to read
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM

It has been noted that the auto trans were the weakest ones and the least reliable. I think xenon has a writeup on the different transmissions.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Well sounds like you drove it an 1/8 mile after it has been sitting for yrs?
and it seemed to shift good until drive /3rd
you may have a brake dragging or something giving high turning torque resistance. you would want to put it on a lift and check out things like that.

does it look as if the trans has been rebuilt extensively, at 190K pretty sure it has 1or 2 times

sitting for that long the torque converter drains 1/2 way and will trap air in the converter causing eratic shifts low power untill it purges the air .

is the fluid level right? is the fluid reddish or closer to black?
must have a linkage problem if it moves in Park ,as the parking pall should prevent that.
my speedo read 250k but there is no way it has that many miles the digital dashes failed a lot and it must have been swaped out from a salvage ride by the seats and interior mine seems about 100k if that. maybe yours too.

Last edited by 86tcoupe; 01-16-2014 at 01:32 PM.