300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

I f**ked up I think

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:06 PM

Oh haha if you ran out of gas and the car died that is the problem. Put the car in the start position (don't turn it on) and let the fuel pump run for a minute then try to crank it.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:03 PM

The fuel pan is also probably dry.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 PM

Here'ds what you do. turn the key to the ON position, get yourself out of the car, go on back and listen for the fuel pump. if you hear it, it's working.

Here's how to get rid of the old gas. jack up the back end of the car, roll in and find the fuel pump, it's by the rear axle. there is a black hose going into the fuel pump on the passenger side of the pump. disconnect this hose and all the fuel will siphon out. Make sure to grink plenty of milk and use the jugs, because you need to catch this fuel. Get a couple gas cans to catch the gas coming out.

WHile the tank is draining, open the gas cap to allow for ventilation while it's draining. get an empty gas can and go to the GOOD gas station. Get the highest grade there is there, because the residual bad gas in the system will dilute the good gas you just bought. Buy about 5 gallons.

Put the hose back on once the fuel is all drained, pour the gas into the tank, then let the car sut with the key in the ON position to circulate that fuel. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Then try to start the car. Use starting fluid to get the thing to fire. It will fire but the car will definately run like crap. Now get in the car and go directly to the gas station. Fill up the entire tank with the highest octane gas there is. Now you can drive it. REMEMBER: use premium gas for the first 2-3 tanks to clean the entitre system, otherwise damagew can occur from the bad gas.

It might also be a good idea to change your fuel filter too. As for the bad gas, you can add it to your other cars that have fresh gas. Only put about a gallon in per full tank of gas, it should be fine

Brian
Old 04-22-2004, 07:50 PM

Fuel pump by the rear axle! The pump is only accessable from the top of the tank. To get to it you must drop the tank down. I just exchanged my pump for a Z32 TT pump and it isn't as easy as your saying. To do what he is saying would take a day of work and require a body to make it somewhat easy on you.

Now do you mean fuel filter or what?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:57 PM

Okay, then, the procedure is still the same. Just LISTEN this time:

1. go out back and listen for the fuel pump. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, it's your problem.
2. If pump works, how bout you just disconnect the fuel line going into the engine, turn the key to ON, and just let it drain into a pale/ milk jug?
3. when the fuel runs dry, just fill the tank back up with fresh gas and do what I told you earlier!

now by fuel filter I mean get over to autozone, get a filter, and change the damn thing, how hard do you want to make it?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by James Hesson
Fuel pump by the rear axle! The pump is only accessable from the top of the tank. To get to it you must drop the tank down. I just exchanged my pump for a Z32 TT pump and it isn't as easy as your saying. To do what he is saying would take a day of work and require a body to make it somewhat easy on you.

Now do you mean fuel filter or what?
You guys are all nuts.

Undo the 4 screws in the trunk that have the 2 connectors for the fuel pump going through it.

Then unplug the connectors, and pull the metal piece out of the way.
Next, udo the 3 fuel lines you'll need a phillips and a pair of pliers.

Next, jack up the rear, and once on jackstands put a piece of wood or something between the jackstand and the fuel tank

Then you will need a either 12 or 14mm deepwell socket to undo the straps that hold the gas tank to the car

Then open the gas door and get a flathead and a hammer. you will need to break loose the black ring around the filler. Just turn counter clockwise "and you will know my name is the lord"

there is some plastic surrounding the filler hose that goes to the tank iirc (racecar had to do a weight reduction on the .4 once piece of plastic)
and you will find a couple of other hoses. Deal with them with extreme prejudice.

And voila. The tank is free. Doesnt take too long if you have and fsm. But my drunken explaination (more like a 5 beer buzz, but ive done it like 4 times) should do the trick.

this whole process shouldnt take too much longer than an hour to drop the tank. From there you are up to yourself to decide what to do.

If anybody disagrees go ahead. Its not like i drive one of these old *** cars
Hell the 84s are older than me.

Hope that helps

Last edited by s13z31killer; 05-09-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:22 AM

Oh yea and go ahead and drain the tank before you do this. It makes it so much lighter for some reason.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:15 AM

Yeah you can just drop the tank. If its empty thats easy to an extent. I have also done it and dropping the tank only took about an hour and its not to hard but some of the bolts are going to be seized after 2 decades of sitting.