300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

i cant believe it

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 07:49 AM

i cant believe it

last night i was on the interstate in 5th gear and gave hear about 3/4 throtal and whooa.i looked at my autometer boost gage and it read 20 psi!I then let off to gather my senses.I thought I surely must have read it wrong becuse my z is practicaly stock except for ka24 tb ,bov,air presure regulator.so i got on her again to get a good look at boost gage,sure enough 22psi!WTF I instantly looked over to air/fuel gage ,reads,first two bars of lean.definately time to let off.ok so know i diside to see where she leans out at.I try again this time watching both gages only boosted to 18 that time but did stay rich.why so much boost?before she would max out at 15psi. i have no intercooler so whenever i feel i might want to turn up the boost i add octain booster to a full tank of 93. im down to about 1/4 tank when she all of the sudden disides to push 22pounds.does the octain booster concentrate as the tank goes down? could that have something to do with it?i dunno,im clueless right now,22pounds from a stock 87 i do know this though,SHE PULLED LIKE A MOTHER F!@#$^!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:03 AM

vacume at idle was same as always ,and with regulator open she maxed at around 6 same as always.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 AM

i wouldnt beleve it either,but i drive this car and the seat of my pants tells me something is deffinatly going on.i normaly run 9 psi. i have run vacume lines from my wastegate threw my firewall to an air pressure regulator that is mounted under the dash just above my left knee so i can adjust boost pressure while in boost.i can normaly run any were between 6 and 15 depending on where i put **** .so i can actualy feel the power grow as i turn **** .but last night was different,she had more power than ever,way more.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:02 AM

Sounds like an X file to me. Better call Mulder and Skully. If it really is running that much boost, it won't last long. Stick internals won't handle 20+ psi for very long. You may wind up with that dreaded "oil pan failure". That's when your oil pan isn't strong enough to hold in all the shrapnel after terminal detonation. I suggest you check it out further. Try another gauge. No need to risk wrecking a perfectly good engine.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:11 PM

no doubt,91zxtt,i definetaly dont want to run that much boost.hell,i dont even like to push 15pounds much,exept for short stints