300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

ASCD Clean Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 AM

ASCD Clean Removal

So, my 86 Turbo had no ASCD when i bought her for $700 cash.

Am i able to remove the Vacuum Lines and Vacuum Can that was left? Is there anything i need to recirculate? all of the air-hoses go nowhere (the one from the plenum leads toward the Vacuum can but doesnt connect, the other from the vacuum can toward where the ASCD used to be, but obviously doesnt connect with the ASCD)

This is the Vacuum Can that i am talking about right? On turbo models it is between the Coolant resivoir and the Carbon (evap) Can. Is this the name of the part? because i havent found trae of it in my haynes, but only can find info on it online from other Z owners.

Im gonna call it Vac Can. the Vac can wont affect my smog check, right? I need to gone if it is a 3"x3" useless plastic piece. Like i said, previous owner removed the ASCD, but not all of the componenets.

If it can be removed, what needs to be re-routed if anything, and what (other than ASCD) will it effect?

Or is there a magical website written by one of our fellow users that i have missed? a link to that could help! thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Forgot to mention that previous owner left all of the stock air hoses under and around the engine bay, he just cut them replaced some hoses with those wiggly bastard aftermarket hoses.

but what i dont understand, is, why replace the hoses when you removed the F*ing ASCD and they dont plug into anything?

And Also, there is no more climate control, the fool removed the heater core, and i took out the remainding A/C components under the Pas. Side Dash and all according pipes. With No climate control, will this make a re-rout or removal easier or at least justified?

Last edited by SoNotaMechanic; 02-14-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: I keep leaving out information. sorry
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 AM

Wow someone who shares my frustration over a lack of info! I too came across a turbo 300zx, an 87 tho. I happen to have the part except it is not functional. The previous owner had removed it and left it in the trunk. My Chilton (haynes) book sheds absolutely no light on the subject. all I know is that one of its functions is controlling ac under boost. I also wonder about chucking the setup altogether.