300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM

any ideas?

ok so i have a 88 shiro #124 im in the process of restoring it... and it was left with the head off sitting for 14 yrs so the block is rusted to **** so im gona replace the motor and possibly tranny...... now idc that the motor is matching numbers.... im never selling the car so idc... but i was wondering what should i do as far as motor? its becoming harder and harder to find the vg30et complete motor/harness/ecu.... because the harness kaput as well. that being said is the na harness the same as the turbo?

and could i do a DETT swap? from what i gathered on the VERY little info on it. all i need is the ETs oil pain and motor mounts? aside from the custom exhaust/intercooler piping? does anyone have anymore insight on this?

would be greatly appreciated

and any thoughs on a vq35 swap? id much rather stay from that time era (80-90s) and stay boosted as well
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Shire is a turbo model

I thought you had the turbo top end parts, they will bolt directly to a VG30e motor, your car has the turbo ecu too and correct harness. I'm a bit confused since you seem to be repeating the same question over. What parts off the original engine do you have ? is the stock harness destroyed / unusable ? Why keep starting a new thread on the same issue. Most likely Nismo will merge your threads. makes it easier on those trying to help. Every engine combo you might imagine has been tried in these cars, do you have a lot of money to spend ? You had posted you had purchased a VG30e, thats all you need, keep its heads on, just remove the intake and exausts and bolt on your turbo top end, plug it in and drive.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
I thought you had the turbo top end parts, they will bolt directly to a VG30e motor, your car has the turbo ecu too and correct harness. I'm a bit confused since you seem to be repeating the same question over. What parts off the original engine do you have ? is the stock harness destroyed / unusable ? Why keep starting a new thread on the same issue. Most likely Nismo will merge your threads. makes it easier on those trying to help. Every engine combo you might imagine has been tried in these cars, do you have a lot of money to spend ? You had posted you had purchased a VG30e, thats all you need, keep its heads on, just remove the intake and exausts and bolt on your turbo top end, plug it in and drive.

yea i said the harness was kaput/done/not useable after taking a look at it.... and no, i have a running N/A that can be a donnor (over 280k mi. on it so thats what preventing me from using it). so the list of things from the shiro that are unusable are as follows:

block/ pistons
harness

the head is stil intact and is in good condition...a complete head.....and the turbo is questionable (have to clean it up) though still looks solid for the most part

im really lost on how i should do the drivetrain at the moment..... theres not to much of a budget... im not a big spender but like to save where possible... but i can easily buy a new motor tranny as long as its not outrageously expensive.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Keep an eye out

Never easy, but always doable on a budget. I'd keep an eye on local adds like craigs list for a donor turbo car, trust me Ive been doing the same and they seem pretty rare now days. Usually when an ECU gets sold out of a turbo car the harness goes with it. There could very well be a member that has a spare turbo harness laying around. That way you could freshen up your donor motor, make sure its sound, and drop it all in. harnesses are just wires and connectors for the most part, unless its in a million bits you could take your time, do some splicing , soldering and shrink tubing and fix it yourself, it might sound over whelming, but it's not really if you use the FSM wiring diagram as a reference.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM

The motor is not a matching number thing, any 4/87 to 89 W series VG30ET will work. You can use a 4/87 to 89 W series VG30E NA block also, the higher compression ratio will give you more power.