300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

After serious tune up, 1988 300zx 2+2 engine shake the whole car and mis fires?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Unhappy After serious tune up, 1988 300zx 2+2 engine shake the whole car and mis fires?!

OK, I'm the new kid on the block so Hello everybody. I'm having quite a difficult time with my Z. Im completely having hard time getting my Z to run right, so here is what I did. Some of this list retains nothing to the engine but to get an insight. My Z needed some major TLC since it had been neglected by my father. When I got the car in my presence I did a complete money dive (which doesn't bother me at all) and replaced... Spark plugs (X2), spark plug wires (X3), fuel filter, dizzy and rotor, ignition coil, oil filter plus oil change (which to find out had a quart of Lucas oil BS stabilizer prior) redid the timing to OEM specs (under the hood lol). Replaced the starter and the altenator was replaced prior to any of this. I had to drop the tranny pan and TIGHTEN, yes tighten it cause of poor maintenance. Now after all this I started the car since the starter was the VERY first thing I replaced just to see it run. Ran for 10 seconds the shut off. After, replacement came for everything else but coming to turning over the vehicle to be happy with the succesfull transformation i did with everything you could hear a type of "putter" you would say, coming from the exhaust. *papapapa* catch my drift. Plus the WHOLE car was shaking a very subtle but noticeable side to side like miniature hydraulics. So upon thinking, replacing everything in the engine bay to correct this issue... It only got worse I spent 4 whole days of straight staying up especially since I go to work and the Z happen to be the only car I drive now due to past events. I originally can't tell which cylinders aren't firing but I know there is spark by numerous times of being shocked xD! When I smell the oil there I clearly gas in it and the fuel pump is more than capable of shooting a stream of fluid across the garage LOL. The mis fires have gotten worse, it feels like onlyone cylinder is firing. When replacing the oil it was completely black but no metal shaving or nothing. I'm trying to think of anything that was replaced but I'm pretty sure it will come to me by thinking and talking more about it. Thanks hope to hear from somebody soon, Gunna be heading to the garage in the next 2 hours.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Are you sure to put all the plug wires and distributor on right?
and you said you changed the plugs what did the old ones look like?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Yea I made sure all wires were set went with three different pairs, the originals that were in there were champions (DEAR GOD KNOWS WHY), they were brown and the nodes was melted they looked like they weren't even gapped. Then I put NGK like the manual said, still same affect THEN I out OEM auotlite coppers in same affect. I did put the dizzy on correctly. It did the same affect with the original OEM parts its why I changed everything in the first place.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jok3r
Yea I made sure all wires were set went with three different pairs, the originals that were in there were champions (DEAR GOD KNOWS WHY), they were brown and the nodes were melted they looked like they weren't even gapped. Then I put NGK like the manual said, still same affect THEN I out OEM auotlite coppers in same affect. I did put the dizzy on correctly. It did the same affect with the original OEM parts its why I changed everything in the first place.
Edit: cylinder 3, 5 and 6 are not firing and no tapping noise coming from the injectors which means their now firing right? I need adequate information about these injectors if anyone can help me out. If I need to take the fuel rail out might as well upgrade. If not necessary would like to no my options for anything. Thanks .
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Switch the injectors around to cyl 1 2 and 4 if they stop firing then you need new injectors if not and cyl 3 5 6 still aint firing then i would do a compression test, and check the electrical conecters

Last edited by Z92AL; 02-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z92AL
Switch the injectors around to cyl 1 2 and 4 if they stop firing then you need new injectors if not and cyl 3 5 6 still aint firing then i would do a compression test, and check the electrical conecters
My fault, it was cylinders 3, 4 and 6 but I still understand. Do you honestly think I could lose compression over something simple like that? I will do that though and tell you the outcome, Thanks AL
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jok3r
My fault, it was cylinders 3, 4 and 6 but I still understand. Do you honestly think I could lose compression over something simple like that? I will do that though and tell you the outcome, Thanks AL
So I switched injector plug 1 for 3 and it started working, when switched back 3 started miraculously working -__-. Moved onto 4 and 6, switched cylinder 2 for 4 did not fire. Moved 4 to 6 still no change (Nothing but hope for this car). There was a good amount of green corrosion on the plugs, cleaned them up. Sunday I will be removing both injectors to clean.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Clean the injector connectors off really good then test them to see if they are getting juice.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z92AL
Clean the injector connectors off really good then test them to see if they are getting juice.
Did clean and tested, all systems go. Still running like a 4 cylinder though. I got other ideas after compression test... Hope for the best