300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 AM

84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning

I am working on the 84 300ZX 2+2 with auto trans, that I am fixing up for my Son-in-law. Before I put the remanufactured long block and the auto transmission back in, I have been cleaning up the engine bay, transmission, trans tunnel and all the original parts I am going to reuse. I bought 3 different Gunk engine cleaner/degreasers and after using them all, I have found that the "Heavy Duty Gel" cleaner worked the best for getting the thick caked on gummy deposits off. I would guess, that a lot of this could have been accumulating since the car was new. The Gel formula stayed on the areas I sprayed it and soaked into the gummy oil/dirt/etc and did not dry out. I was able to let it sit over night to work it's magic. The other 2 products, after spraying and sitting for a period of a few hours would dry out and had to be re-sprayed. I also found that the original and the foamy were good for spot cleaning where you wiped and or scraped lightly (with a plastic scraper). This was mostly fo the minor areas of gummy dirt/oil/ect. I only used the "Original Engine Degreaser" on the transmission, because I did not want to soak any electrical parts with a direct spray. I would soak a rag with the liquid, wipe it down, gently scrap it clean and then wipe it down, then scrap and wipe as many times as needed. I am not completely done with cleaning (about 85% done). The hardest part is cleaning all the wiring harnesses. It takes time and patience, but well worth it. Through out this process I have not used any water. I wore rubber gloves and used paper towels. When I am completely done, I will use some water, but sparingly. There are 2 areas that I do plan to do some touch up painting, with the original color and that is; at the battery tray and the frame rail where brake fluid damaged the paint, In addition, I do plan on checking out the condition of all wires and connections and then place Di-electric grease on all connections. I think my Son-in-law and daughter will get a lot of enjoyment out of this car. More to come. I am heading back out into the garage, Good luck on your projects! Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails 84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6528.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6375.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6494.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6502.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6505.jpg  

84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6510.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6517.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6518.jpg   84 engine bay/trans, parts cleaning-dscn6277.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 05:55 PM

man this is great I would love to do something like this to my car.. I just don't think I have the resources for something like this.. Looks great!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Hi Lazarus2297, With a name like Lazarus, you should be prime to resurrect the engine bay of your car, even with the motor in place. I have done that several times on past cars. As long as you have a good set of jack stands, to lift up the front end, to give enough room to move around under there. Also, the Gunk cleaners can be used from the top or the bottom of the engine bay. I used the "No water method", wearing rubber gloves, a plastic scraper and paper towels to clean up whatever I could reach. You would be suprised how good you can make the engine bay and associated parts shine with this process. I have been accumulating tool,s ever since I was 19. My father was a mechanic and I helped him at the beginning age of 4. My love of Mechanical things led me to getting a college degree in Mecahnical engineering and my career related to engineering and maitntence in several paper mills. I am again showing my age here. I retired in 2010 and moved to AZ from WI. I knew that as I got older the working off the floor was going to get harder and harder, so I knew a 2 post symetrical auto lift was a necessity, if I wanted to continue doing what I love to do for as long as my body allowed me to. I will be 67 in October of this year. I do all my own maintenance (I hate giving money to others when I can do the work myself and better than they do). I have been accumulating tools since I was 19, adding items as I went along and could afford them. I did many, many jobs with minimal tools and bought ones that made the job safer and easier. Anyone can do the same. Experience and patience are the best teachers. To be sucessful in any career path, a person has to envision what he/she wants, then studies up on the process needed and then is willing to get dirty and make mistakes. I have 3 rules, that I live by, when I or anyone else is in my shop; 1 NO ONE GETS HURT, 2. NOTHING GETS BROKEN and 3. ENJOY AND HAVE FUN WHILE DOING THE WORK. I will stop now and leave you with those words of wisdom, from someone who has learned from his mistakes. My only frustration is, that I will not live long enough to do all the things I want to do! Thanks for listening. Now go tackle that engine bay!!!! Thanks, Bob
Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bobs 84 300ZX
Hi Lazarus2297, With a name like Lazarus, you should be prime to resurrect the engine bay of your car, even with the motor in place.
Nice catch there, I like to use that username in all my online accounts, my name is not Lazarus, but like Lazarus in the Bible I too have been raised from the dead, spiritually speaking that is..

I am kinda the opposite side, with my parents divorced when I was young and only being around my Dad on the weekends (not to mention my dad is the type who has Advanced Auto put on his windshield wipers..) I never picked up a desire for automotive stuff. I do how ever like troubleshooting and repairing stuff, which fits well with my profession (IT desktop/network support). I don't personally have a lift, but my father-in-law does so that is a big plus.

I acquired an 84 300zx turbo, 5-speed GLL just out of high school (1996) and was not good to it.. but I loved the power and ride.. It unfortunately never had the fuel injectors fixed and I knew nothing of the "recall" and the engine bay burnt completely up one night. I kept telling my wife one day I will get another one of those and I will fix it up and take care of it.. thankfully that day has come! It just so happened to coincide with the birth of my 4th child (2nd boy). So other than getting her road worthy most, other non-essential projects will have to take a back seat. As I have time I some level of engine bay restoration will be on the list.

Thanks for responding, I love forums and it seems Facebook has killed most forums these days, but I am glad I found a couple Z sites that are at least fairly active..