300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

400+ hp? can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, maybe one more

Location: Far away, locked up from anything interesting, almost in the dead center of the US
Re: 400+ hp? can it be done?

400 hp is only a couple seconds away if you just through in some jp5 and crank the sucker to 10 grand! But if you want that kind of power for more than just a second or two, before your engine reduces itself to a molten slag, lots of prep work must be done. You have a good start, but forgot a few of the basics,

exhaust
intake
timing control or upgraded ecu (stock is only good to about 310 i think)
Injectors (only good to 300 hp)
boost controller (gonna need that)
some kind of bov for your upgraded turbo
if you put in new cams and are looking for high *****, make sure you replace the, rocker arms, springs & lash pads. I believe motor sport mentions this as well.
If you with 400 ***** you might also want to get your connecting rods shot peened or replaced with some good ones, I don't know if the stock ones can handle or not, but it might be worth it.
There are a few other cheap mods you can do, like 240 sx tb and maxima alternator and so on. You are just going to have to decide on your budget as to what all you do.
oh yeah, you might also want to replace the clutch, since you WOULD turn the stock one into dust (don't ask).