300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Z31 rear camber kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:27 PM

Z31 rear camber kits

I'm sure this has been gone over before , but I can't find it in the search function: Are there camber adjustment kits for the rear wheels? My rear springs are apparently drooping low enough that my rear camber is out by -2.20 degrees. The car appears to be the proper height in the rear , so I'd rather just get something to adjust the camber.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:16 PM

motorsports has them for 80 bucks a set .
Old 03-04-2004, 05:43 PM

Are your bushings new? I not, it makes a little difference. the z's are set up from the factory with pretty healthy rear camber, when I bought mine, the tires looked fine on the outside edge, but the rears were bald.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by craZed
motorsports has them for 80 bucks a set .
Those only correct up to -1.5 degrees. Are they the only ones that sell camber correction kits?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by calvinD
Are your bushings new? I not, it makes a little difference. the z's are set up from the factory with pretty healthy rear camber, when I bought mine, the tires looked fine on the outside edge, but the rears were bald.
Basically , negative camber on the P-side is a lot higher than the D-side: -2.20 to -1.70. When I tromp on the brakes hard , it pulls the car to the right. The brakes are not the problem , everything was just replaced or reworked. Calipers , pads , rotors and all. The brake system was given a clean bill of health , but it still pulls. I was told the high negative camber on the one side could cause this.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:54 AM

What you've described could be true. The side with less negative camber is allowing the tire to make better contact with the road. I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference thoughing. Considering the fact that when you hammer the brakes, the rear brakes don't work nearly as hard as the fronts since the weight of car is shifted forward. I would think it could have something to do with your alignment. You could have a few bushings worn out in the front that are allowing the front upper and lower arms to move under hard braking. If you replace the rear bushings and install the camber kit, then you should be able to bring the rear end back into spec. You could also replace the springs. If the rear is already sagging, then you could go with sport springs. You wouldn't notice much difference in the ride height, so it wouldn't effect the camber that much. Plus, the car wouldn't squat as much during hard acceleration.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bad_dog_Z
1. The car is suppose to have some negative camber. It helps it corner better.

I meant to mention that also.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 AM

Also on the earlier Z31s there was an issue with cars pulling to one side under braking. When my Z was brand new it had this problem and since it was still under warranty it went back to Nissan quite a few times to get fixed. I can't remember what the problem was but I'll look in all the paper work because I saw the receipts my Grandfather had awhile back from when he was trying to get it fixed.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by James Hesson
Also on the earlier Z31s there was an issue with cars pulling to one side under braking. When my Z was brand new it had this problem and since it was still under warranty it went back to Nissan quite a few times to get fixed. I can't remember what the problem was but I'll look in all the paper work because I saw the receipts my Grandfather had awhile back from when he was trying to get it fixed.
Yeah , let me know about that. This is driving me nuts.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboZ
Yeah , let me know about that. This is driving me nuts.

dude thats wierd, I thought I was the only one. I think the shock and strut on my passenger side is worn a lot more than the drivers side. I can tell when I go over big bumps, and when I look at the car from the back the drivers side rear tire looks okay but the passenger side you can see a slight tilt. is this normal, one side wearing out before the other?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 86ZXTurbo
dude thats wierd, I thought I was the only one. I think the shock and strut on my passenger side is worn a lot more than the drivers side. I can tell when I go over big bumps, and when I look at the car from the back the drivers side rear tire looks okay but the passenger side you can see a slight tilt. is this normal, one side wearing out before the other?
I dunno if you'd call it normal , but it seems to be common just on OUR cars. The spindle on the P-side strut was bent where someone had curbed it pretty hard (I think) , and the shock on the D-side rear is totally dead , I can feel it letting the tire bounce even when I'm driving on the freeway.
Front end camber and toe is now back within spec , except for the fact my rack bushings are shot and need to be replaced. The rack "walks" back and forth when I turn the wheel , it's a very disconcerting feeling.
The rear end , now thats a different story altogether. Camber is WAY out , as I've stated in another post , which so far I can attribute to sagging springs and bad lower control arm bushings. It pulls to right during braking only , which also happens to be the side with the highest negative camber in the rear.
I love this car , but I didn't relize getting it sorted out was going to be such a pain. I've had cars much older than this that didn't have this many things wrong with them. I'm just wondering if most Z31s suffer from weak bushings and springs , and occasional bad struts and shocks. But with 160,000 miles on the chassis , I guess its to be expected.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:51 PM

Yeah our Z's are a bit weak in the suspensoin department, I replaced my springs with B&G springs and it made a huge diffrence in the handling. I am planning on replacing the bushings next followed by shocks.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:26 PM

well I know its not normal but it makes me feel a little better knowing one side suspension wear is common to our cars. it means lots of people have delt with it and know how to fix it, ya know?