300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

weather stripping

Old 03-23-2006, 07:18 PM

weather stripping

Hey Guys,

Background:
Im 19 just got my secound 300zx. 85 coupe
It has rust out the A** all over ther place and big holes. I do body work so its not that big of a deal. I've already put in about 10 hours and thats only on the one side! (I sand only by hand)

My biggest problem right now that I'm dealing with is weather stripping though. Around the t's is shrunk and the back deck stripping is starting to fall apart. I found some yesterday but for the deck alone it is almost 100 bucks. If you guys know of where I can get some for a good bit cheaper please tell me. I wouldn't mind replaceing everthing.

The car is also going to need a new timing belt and new clutch!

I have big plans for this car like 350hp at the wheels at least so yours guys help would be great. Thanks,
Kyle
Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 PM

BUMP you guys have anything to say. I would really like to know of a good place to get parts besides ebay!!!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 AM

rust is bad. don't bother. the car is going to be due for the junkyard soon.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 PM

really....

Lets start with some questions.... what was your first 300zx?
What is an 85 coupe? I thought they were all hatchback.... except the few that got the aftermarket jap kit.

Now on to the other questions. If all the rust is cut away and is taken care of, there is no reason why you shouldnt fix it up. It would be fullish to say any sign of rust makes it not worth it... Watched an TV show the other night when the took a rust bucket and turned it into a 75k dollar car....

Clutch, check ebay. rubber stripping... I'd suggest searching z31.com and such, Im sure someone else needed it too...

Timing belt, ebay or one of the sponsors... should be fairly cheap.

The people on this board really know there stuff, but its your car, if you think the rust is reversable, then do it. As far as questions on any type of aftermarket, you can ask about quality but thats it.... there will be a million opinions about this and that bla bla bla. Do what you think looks good or sounds good.

Thanks,

Cyp

P.S..... you never know whos on the net.... lol
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 PM

cypres thank you for that very heart felt speech

I wish people would talk more on this forum its not like when i had my e30's everyone talked all the time and everyone had some info to share. Here its not like that azbum i've read your post and everything and you seem very smart but so little input on things that people need to know.

cypres don't be such a wise a** its not nice you should really see the car its got about 80 hours of work into it and is a nice primer grey color lol i think im going to sport that around for awhile O THeres no more rust yea

all i have to say is share the wealth with everyone else!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cypres
Lets start with some questions.... what was your first 300zx?
Me? The 1984 NA slicktop I have sitting in my carport right now. Had it since April 30th, 1994.
What is an 85 coupe? I thought they were all hatchback.... except the few that got the aftermarket jap kit.
Coupe. As in, 2 seater. Yes. They're all hatchbacks. But there's either coupes or 2+2s.
Now on to the other questions. If all the rust is cut away and is taken care of, there is no reason why you shouldnt fix it up. It would be fullish to say any sign of rust makes it not worth it... Watched an TV show the other night when the took a rust bucket and turned it into a 75k dollar car....
I have yet to see or hear of a Z31 selling for more than $20k lately. $10k is a stretch. And the likelihood of finding a buyer for a nothing special car at that price is slim to none. There are a lot of american classics that can fetch prices like that. You failed to mention what kind of car it was. But even in rusty condition, those classics seem to fetch more money than most mint Z31s. Noticed that?
Clutch, check ebay. rubber stripping... I'd suggest searching z31.com and such, Im sure someone else needed it too...

Timing belt, ebay or one of the sponsors... should be fairly cheap.
Good tips.
The people on this board really know there stuff, but its your car, if you think the rust is reversable, then do it. As far as questions on any type of aftermarket, you can ask about quality but thats it.... there will be a million opinions about this and that bla bla bla. Do what you think looks good or sounds good.
The point is, to properly remove all the rust and replace the panels is very time consuming or very expensive. THere are tons of rust free Z31s floating around for probably the same amount of money.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Old reply for kicks...

Az-bum..... you know so much but many of your replys are smart ***'d. All the brains in the world are useless without the need to know. Imagine if everyone knew everything there was to know. There would be no point to any question or research. Secondly, try to answer questions instead of creating problems.

The question about what was your first 300zx was to the tread creator who I personally know and also know that the car is was asking about was HIS FIRST 300zx of any kind. It is what is known as humor.

A hatchback can not be a coupe. That is like a double negitive. A coupe is a fixed top with no hatch. If it had a hatch it would be a hatchback. Is a miata a coupe just because it has two seats? No, didnt think so.

The car that they did on tv was not a Z nor did I say it was. No Z31 would sell for 75000. It was a plymoth duster that was turned into a super muscle car i.e. "G Machine" All the rust was cut away and the area was repaired and replaced. Exactly what Machsound has done on his z31. So yes if it is fixed correctly then the car is a great platform to use regardless of what others might say about how rust can never be fixed.

I think the problem with most online boards are that there is to much bickering going on when all the time people just want a simple answer. In general from now on people should just try to answer the information that people want to know. He asked nothing about the rust because he already knew what it would take to fix it and was well on his way. His question was about weather stripping. This tread could be a lot shorter and simpler if someone would have just said to search other z31 sites or check with the sponsors.

Machsound~ I have seen the car since you completed the body work and it does look good, tho the color is not exactly my personal preference. Its amazing how there is no rust on the car anymore despite everyone's sure confidence that it is impossible to repair rust. The car will be great once it starts to get built up somemore. I would suggest just searching for answers and if you cannot find them PM some people who seem to be knowledgable but who dont have smartass answers. Those people should be very helpful. When posting something up in a tread, dont give any back information about the car unless it applies to the question. As many people will answer with statements like " rust is bad... dont bother.the car is going to be due for the junkyard soon"

Later man and have fun with the car.