300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

getting new paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Z Extreme Guy

getting new paint

found out today that im getting a full sposnerhip on a new paint job for my z31 its going to be vipper red with black flames and there talking about makink the flames irodesent so they will change colors and my dragons will look like they are coming out of the flames now so hopfuly it will be a much better paint job. not to say that when i painted it,it was bad or anything. i liked it.the company is caled sings of the times the copany paints boats at lake thuao and custem rodes and they do kik a** vinal grafics too. ill poast pics after its done it will be a nice fish for msa
Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 PM

uhhummmm your car, sponsorship uhhuh yup nah.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:04 PM
VIVA LA Z31!

hey cool lookin forward to the pics
Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by James Hesson
uhhummmm your car, sponsorship uhhuh yup nah.
wow james didnt realiz your a hater sorry you dont belive. but thats ok youll just have to deal
Old 03-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by CrAzY_84na
hey cool lookin forward to the pics
ill make sure your the first to get crazy.i cant wait to get it back
Old 03-17-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
wow james didnt realiz your a hater sorry you dont belive. but thats ok youll just have to deal
I agree with James , I'll beleive it when I see it. About the sponsorship. Oh and thanks for getting back to me on those struts. There's a few names I could call you , and but for the admins , I would.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Iradescent paint and airbrushed dragons are for lowriders, NOT z's. Flames look stupid on our cars as well
Old 03-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Very true CalvinD but remember that thing isn't a Z anymore its the carcass of a Z at best.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by James Hesson
Very true CalvinD but remember that thing isn't a Z anymore its the carcass of a Z at best.
Yeah , it's like Mr Boodhaw decided to try to create a Camaro or a Mustang , and had to use a Z car chassis because it's obviously better. I mean , Camaro chassis' are in 2 pieces and requires subframe connectors to be properly stiff , and the Z handles better than any Mustang , hands down. So it makes sense someone would bastardize a Z to their own benefit. After all , way back when , the Z was "the poor mans Corvette"

Last edited by 85TurboZ; 03-19-2004 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Added sig
Old 03-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Why are people so critical about what Dr. Buddha does or says? He's turned his Z into a project car. Dropping a 350 into the Z31 is pretty cool. It's unique. Maybe the paint isn't quite what we like, but it's what he likes and that's all that matters. He's still into his Z and we're into ours. We all have something in common. I agree with crazy 84. I'm looking forward to pictures.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Z Extreme Guy

thank-you 91zxtt your right its not what every one els likes its what i like.but so it be known i have 5 z's and there all nissan but thats ok.it just so happens that my z 31 was a dare that it could not be done.so if some one dosent like it too bad and if they dont like the paint too bad but ill be posting the picks of it soon.sunday it is going to get the red done and the the rest soon.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Dropping a 350 into the Z31 is pretty cool.

No , it's not. If Z31s were supposed to come with 350s in them , they would have done so from the factory. See my sig. Basically , anyone thats put a 350 in one has given up on everything the Z31 stands for. That's not a Z31 anymore , that's some Frankenstein monstrosity.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by 85TurboZ
No , it's not. If Z31s were supposed to come with 350s in them , they would have done so from the factory. See my sig. Basically , anyone thats put a 350 in one has given up on everything the Z31 stands for. That's not a Z31 anymore , that's some Frankenstein monstrosity.
I'm pretty sure a lot of folks might disagree with that statement of opinion. Would you like to express your opinion of their efforts to them, and, tell them how they've "given up". Here's a link to their messege/discussion board, and I'm certain your opinion would be found entertaining.

With your kind of thinking, the Scarab Z would have never been. I can hear you now, "if Datsun meant for it to have a V8, they would have done so from the factory". That's like saying, "if automobiles were meant to run the quarter in 4 seconds @ 300+ mph, they would have done so from the factory."

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being an automotive purist. Someone has to preserve history and that aspect has it share of fans and entertainment value. If that's you, go for it and have fun with it.

As far as bad-mouthing Doc's Z car, maybe you should re:think your position and the way you express it. An automobile is an extention of one's personality, and Doc's is getting the job done in that respect. It's as different as Doc, and that adds some varity to an otherwise dull world. Just think, in a cookie cutter world there would be no diversity to enjoy.

Now, if you have other issues, or axes to grind, maybe be a little more discrete about it. Go find him and try to Jap Slap him, or send him a nasty-gram in his e-mail or pm, but, if the rest of the readers of this board are like me, they don't care to read your personal attacks on another member of the community. There are other venues for that.

Please, don't take offense at my rant. I tried not to be offensive, but, I've watched this thread degress to the point where speaking up seemed appropriate and needed.

Doc.... Post the new pics and then explain how you came up with a sponsor. I could use one. My cheap little Z car sure keeps my wallet empty.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
Z Extreme Guy

johnZboy: well i got a part time job becuz my wa sdoing the same. and my boss decided to sposer my car by having his body shop paint it.soly becuz im setting yp his new grafics shop called singe of the times well here is the singe we made tohange up in summit racing here in reno nv were i live youll see his logo next to mine.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by johnZboy
I'm pretty sure a lot of folks might disagree with that statement of opinion. Would you like to express your opinion of their efforts to them, and, tell them how they've "given up". Here's a link to their messege/discussion board, and I'm certain your opinion would be found entertaining.

With your kind of thinking, the Scarab Z would have never been. I can hear you now, "if Datsun meant for it to have a V8, they would have done so from the factory". That's like saying, "if automobiles were meant to run the quarter in 4 seconds @ 300+ mph, they would have done so from the factory."
And they still don't. Unless you are calling a Top Fuel dragster an automobile , but I don't call anything that rides to and from the track in a trailer an automobile.
Theres such a thing as installing a proper engine in a Z31 , such as an RB26DETT , and it's quite a different thing to install an SBC. If you're gonna do that , go buy a Camaro. If you want a proper Z car , then give it an engine it should be proud to have in it.

Last edited by 85TurboZ; 03-20-2004 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Loves Going Topless

Dr. Budda, cant wait to see the pics myself. My 300 will be getting a repaint soon. It'll be back to factory as my 93' convertible is stock with 99' HID's, 99' fascia and 99' tails. The kid that is doing it painted his dads bike with fader flames in multi colors and when you look at it you see rams heads coming from the flames on the fender and skulls coming out on the tank. It's really an awesome look. Right now he's working on an El Camino custom for a Wal-Mart exec, extimate cost $47K when finished.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Distinquished Guest

And they still don't. Unless you are calling a Top Fuel dragster an automobile , but I don't call anything that rides to and from the track in a trailer an automobile.
Theres such a thing as installing a proper engine in a Z31 , such as an RB26DETT.
1. Top Fuel dragster? It ain't a boat, plane, motocycle, truck, or train. I give up...

2. Most racing "automobiles" aren't legal or safe to operate on the public roadways, and, must be trailered to and from a track. I can hear it now..... "And Dale Earnhardt, Jr. wins the Southern 500 driving his Budwieser, uh, uh, uh. Whadda' ya' call that thing Darrell? It ain't no automobile he's driving 'cause I saw 'em unload it from that big red trailer."

3 An RB26DETT... Well at least you like a challenge. If you figure out how to do that.......
MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY BOOSTED....

Last edited by johnZboy; 03-20-2004 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spell checker malfunction
Old 03-21-2004, 12:44 AM
VIVA LA Z31!

haha damn John there is something about your tactics of combacks that hits the spot...im glad im not agianst you...but ya thats all im gonna say cuz i did my share of defending in the last thread...and you seem to have it handled quite nicely...

Thats a nice engine also

Rob
Old 03-21-2004, 10:34 AM

1. Top Fuel dragster? It ain't a boat, plane, motocycle, truck, or train. I give up...

2. Most racing "automobiles" aren't legal or safe to operate on the public roadways, and, must be trailered to and from a track. I can hear it now..... "And Dale Earnhardt, Jr. wins the Southern 500 driving his Budwieser, uh, uh, uh. Whadda' ya' call that thing Darrell? It ain't no automobile he's driving 'cause I saw 'em unload it from that big red trailer."

3 An RB26DETT... Well at least you like a challenge. If you figure out how to do that.......
MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY BOOSTED....
Dunno where you live at , but I see plenty of cars in the 11s and 10s driven to and from the drag track on public roads. Ever seen the Easy Street WRX? Thats a street legal car in the low 10s. Those guys I can respect , since they've taken the time to make their car street legal. I also see plenty of nasty auto-cross/road-track cars that are also street driven. And everybody knows Nascar cars aren't based on real cars anymore , like they used to be , so I don't know why you bothered to include those. And I seriously doubt you could tell me anything about installing an RB26DETT in my car that I don't already know , I've been planning this project since I bought the car about 8 months ago.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Distinquished Guest

And I seriously doubt you could tell me anything about installing an RB26DETT in my car that I don't already know , I've been planning this project since I bought the car about 8 months ago.
Cool.... Holla and post some pics.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:28 PM

Cool.... Holla and post some pics.
It's gonna be a couple years yet , I'm not ready to spend $11,000 on an engine swap yet.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:33 AM

'85- Why is that when someone disagrees with your opinion you tell them that they're wrong? It's an opinion. Technically, an opinion can't be wrong. There are no facts in the statement, "dropping a 350 into a Z31 is pretty cool." It's an opinion! Obviously there are others out there that think the same thing. It also appears to be a less expensive alternative to the RB26DETT.

John-Sweet pic! That is a work of art!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
It also appears to be a less expensive alternative to the RB26DETT.

John-Sweet pic! That is a work of art!
If you wanted the cheap alternative , you should have bought a Camaro in the first place. Don't sully the Zs reputation with an American engine , is what I have to say.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Z Extreme Guy

If you wanted the cheap alternative , you should have bought a Camaro in the first place. Don't sully the Zs reputation with an American engine , is what I have to say.
well cheap,i dont think so.if your RB26DETT is going to coast you just $11,000.00 then you shoud save your $ for iRB26DETT . since some one has all ready don it im sure the miss and hit factor is much easer.for the welding alone on my z was $6200.00 and some change ,and its not a camaro try a vet.and you said "After all , way back when , the Z was "the poor mans Corvette." So its safe to say if it was called a poor mans vet then putting a vet convertion in it is not a bad or a far off call on a z ,besides its not your car if you dont care for it then fine. tell you the truth i can respect that. but dont think im lossing sleep over what you have to say, one bit. the best part of owning MORE THEN ONE Z car is if i want to do somthing crazy i can i have a stock 84 turbo thats all nissan except rims and exast and small mods like that.so slow your roll turbo. its all good .... and by the way i have way more ($)cash in vested in just the moter then $11,000.00.#1 that moter is a 1992 L98 which is one of the hiest torqu proding v8's from factory. #2 it has been storked it's now a 383 and i have a after market accel TPI system that run in the nabor hood of $4500.00 and thats not evean scraching the top off it. So let me end this poast with some wisdom from Buddha (me) "A man that lays his woman on ground will always have pice on earth."
Old 03-22-2004, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
well cheap,i dont think so.if your RB26DETT is going to coast you just $11,000.00 then you shoud save your $ for iRB26DETT . since some one has all ready don it im sure the miss and hit factor is much easer.for the welding alone on my z was $6200.00 and some change
Dang , $6200 for welding? You got ripped , BIGtime. They make mounts for the RB25/26 and the associated tranny mounts for the Z31 , at least in Japan , so no welding required for me. Basically , the $11,000 I spoke of includes all the necessary mounting hardware as well as the single turbo conversion , and all the necessary mods to push me past 600 Hp.

Quick Reply: getting new paint