280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Yet another new guy with a ZX...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Yet another new guy with a ZX...

Hey everyone... I'm The Swede and I'm new to the import, nissan, and Z cars... yeah I know- I'm hopeless. Anyways, I have been looking for a daily driver to replace the 94 spirit I was driving and picked up this pretty nice '83 280zx. It was driven by an old couple for the past 3 years or so once a week, and hadn't even topped the 3K milage for the next oil change. It's very faded-red, auto, and has about 170,000 miles on the odo.

I've already changed the plugs and wires, fuel filter and oil and filter. May change the air filter soon, but it doesn't need it yet... I dunno. Anyways... here are some questions I have if y'all could be so kind as to answer them for a noob:

Problems:
- There is a small clunk coming from the right front suspension when it cycles, either up or down.. I haven't dealt much with strut type suspensions (normally my specialy is older mustangs) so I'm not sure what it could be. I've listened to it and the only thing I can think of is possibly the strut mount on top? ANy ideas?
- There is some hesitation off idle and into accelerating. I replaced fuel filter (mainly because I do it on any car I buy) but it helped a little. Anything else I can think of is maybe the pcv valve needs cleaning/replacing, or maybe the tps sensor is out of adjustment. Everynow and then it sounds like it hickups a bit or bogs down when I stab the gas at idle... possibilities?

Upgrades:
-I'm really big on brakes... and especially like having larger ones if possible. I've looked around and cannot seem to find any really good sounding pads. Most of the stuff I've found has just been like plain semi-metallic stuff, real cheap. I've seen the KVR pads that don't look bad, and I've heard about getting some EBC green-stuffs but I can't find them anywhere. Also, I've searched and can't seem to find any junkyard style brake upgrades as far as calipers and rotors are concerned. I've heard rumors about 300zx hubs and rotors and stuff, along with possible toyota 4x4 calipers... but that might have been for the earlier generation Zs. Are there any other brake upgrades besides the really big companies that work?

- The car is currently an automatic, and even though this is a step down in terms of engine/car size from what used to be my daily driver ('70 mustang sportsroof), but it still turns about 4000 on the highway going 65-70 (I think the speedo is off, not sure on that though... flow of traffic = 4K) so the gearing is more than the stang. I found an 80zx in a local junkyard... and it has a manual. I'm not sure if it's 4 or 5 speed. The yard lists it as five, but when running it through the gears I could only hit what would normally be 1-2-3-4 and then one up to the right... not sure if it was 5th or reverse because I couldn't seem to get a gear to the bottom right next to 4th... Does anyone know how prevalent were 4 speeds in early ZXs. If it really is a 5 speed the yard wants 110 for it and will listen to all offers... so i thought about offering them 150 for everything; tranny, pedals, driveshaft (incase it's differnt), mount, and just for fun the mc and slave cylinder even though I will replace them with new parts... anything else I should know about this.. what else might I need?

Well, I know this is an extremely long post for a noob, please forgive me. Hope this will be a good experience on here and to be able to contribute to the site.

THe Swede

P.S.: I'll try and post pics when ic an
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM

The top right gate belongs to fifth on the shifter. Reverse is bottom right. So it's definitely a 5 speed. The only ZX that came stock with a 4spd was the 79. But that doesn't mean one couldn't have been installed. And you definitely shouldn't be hitting 4k at 65. Shouldn't even be 3k. Speedo could be off. As for the hesitation, could be a bunch of things from ignition to fuel to just plain wiring problems (corrossion is really bad on theses cars). Check your cap and rotor and your timing. Check all your FI wires for corrossion at the contacts too. Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the reply jfairladyz, as far as the cap and rotor goes I know they are good as I just replaced them when i did plugs and wires. I might throw in an ignition coil as I have one laying around surprisingly from another car and this one still has Nissan stamped on it--- could possibly be factory?
I really do think the speedo is off because sometimes I'll be cruising with traffic on a 45mph road and only show 35... so I'm not absolutely positive that the speed is correct at any speed.
I haven't noticed any corrosion on any of the wires, at least any obviously apparent but i will check that asap. I'll also break out my timing light if I can ever get over to my garage again....

Thanks again,
The Swede
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
The only ZX that came stock with a 4spd was the 79.
really?? I have a 79, but it WAS a 5 speed... was a 4-speed regular, and the 5-speed just an option?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by DynamicJ
really?? I have a 79, but it WAS a 5 speed... was a 4-speed regular, and the 5-speed just an option?
Yes, but most people opted for the 5 speed. There were VERY few 4 speed '79 ZX's delivered.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Swede958

Problems:
- There is a small clunk coming from the right front suspension when it cycles, either up or down.. I haven't dealt much with strut type suspensions (normally my specialy is older mustangs) so I'm not sure what it could be. I've listened to it and the only thing I can think of is possibly the strut mount on top? ANy ideas?
Could be a couple of things. My first thought is disintegrated sway bar bushing. If you really had something loose, or broken, you would probably know on the first turn.

- There is some hesitation off idle and into accelerating. I replaced fuel filter (mainly because I do it on any car I buy) but it helped a little. Anything else I can think of is maybe the pcv valve needs cleaning/replacing, or maybe the tps sensor is out of adjustment. Everynow and then it sounds like it hickups a bit or bogs down when I stab the gas at idle... possibilities?
TPS is a possibility, but I would lean towards the vacuum advance on the distributor. These are prone to failure and will mess up your timing on off idle/cruise acceleration. This is commonly referred to as an 'off idle stumble'.
Also check/replace all the other vacuum hoses as they are prone to become brittle and crack after all this time.

I would check the ignition module as well. It could be bad.

Upgrades:
-I'm really big on brakes... and especially like having larger ones if possible. I've looked around and cannot seem to find any really good sounding pads. Most of the stuff I've found has just been like plain semi-metallic stuff, real cheap. I've seen the KVR pads that don't look bad, and I've heard about getting some EBC green-stuffs but I can't find them anywhere. Also, I've searched and can't seem to find any junkyard style brake upgrades as far as calipers and rotors are concerned. I've heard rumors about 300zx hubs and rotors and stuff, along with possible toyota 4x4 calipers... but that might have been for the earlier generation Zs. Are there any other brake upgrades besides the really big companies that work?
EBC = Not a big fan
KVR = good stuff for a stock upgrade
Porterfield = really good stuff for aggressive driving
Axxis MetalMasters are pretty good too. I would put them as equals with the KVR Carbon Fibre pads.

The Toyota 4x4 calipers are just for the first gen Z cars (1970 to 1978).

The best thing to do is to get a good set of pads (KVR, Porterfield, Axxis) and good non-slotted, non-drilled rotors and add a set of stainless steel brake lines.

Go here to get ideas for what you can do to your car:

http://www.zcarparts.com

BEFORE you buy, go to the following websites and look up the parts you found at the MSA link:

http://www.summitracing.com

http://www.jegs.com

http://www.nopi.com

Most of the parts advertised at ZCarParts.com are available from other sources at cheaper prices.

There are several options for all out big-brake upgrade packages:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com

http://www.arizonazcar.com

- The car is currently an automatic, and even though this is a step down in terms of engine/car size from what used to be my daily driver ('70 mustang sportsroof), but it still turns about 4000 on the highway going 65-70 (I think the speedo is off, not sure on that though... flow of traffic = 4K) so the gearing is more than the stang.
The speedo may be off a little but at 70 you should be in the 3200 rpm range. You have a 3.545 R180 differential and the 1.0:1 ratio of third gear (D) in the automatic should give you about 3200 rpm at 70 mph.

You could swap in a 3.36 R180 from an earlier Z car, but other than that, your next best option is to convert to a 5 speed. The 3.36 R180's were installed in the 1970 to 1974 Z's w/ 4 speed trannies and the 5 speed '79 280ZX coupe, the '79 2+2 came with a 3.70 R200.

I found an 80zx in a local junkyard... and it has a manual. I'm not sure if it's 4 or 5 speed. The yard lists it as five, but when running it through the gears I could only hit what would normally be 1-2-3-4 and then one up to the right... not sure if it was 5th or reverse because I couldn't seem to get a gear to the bottom right next to 4th... Does anyone know how prevalent were 4 speeds in early ZXs.
See my previous post.

If it really is a 5 speed the yard wants 110 for it and will listen to all offers... so i thought about offering them 150 for everything; tranny, pedals, driveshaft (incase it's differnt), mount, and just for fun the mc and slave cylinder even though I will replace them with new parts... anything else I should know about this.. what else might I need?
That should about cover it. If the tranny is good and you get all the accessories including the clutch cable and linkage that should be a pretty good deal.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by lww; 08-18-2005 at 08:21 PM.