280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Wow. Sparks

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 AM

Wow. Sparks

Ok. so i was talkin to someone in chat last night. We were talkin about my injector's. and how they get the sig to fire by the ecu grounding them. So we come to the conslusion of jumping a wire from that grounding sig wire and i would tap it to the body or somthign to ground them while trying to start car. just to see if they would fire. Just a quick tap, not hold it down or nothin. I found out the hard way. that that ground(green) has power in it. and it's hot. So what's the deal. I got both the same voltage onthe white wire's and the green. and there both hot.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM

THEY FIRED!!!!!!!!!! I only got the first three to. but i got them to fire. I hooked a jump wire up to the #1 Brown injector wire. and taped it the first three fired! Now i need the ecu to fire them
Old 08-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Taste My Rainbow

I Can Pull The Ecu Out Of My 79 If Any One Needs Them??
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM

i got a good ecu,and another one from a runnin Z. ECU is fine. I put injector's back on the motor. and tryed to start it with me manuly fireing the injector's. she would not even spudder a bit. I spray starter fluid in there. and she spudder's. why is this?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Taste My Rainbow

So You Have Ruled Out Spark And Air, So It Must Be Fuel. When Was The Last Time You Changed Out Your Fuel Filters?? Its Always Good To Check Things You Might Have Overlooked... Other Than That No Idea I'm A Newbie To This Stuff But Learning Fast.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 AM

brand new fuel filter. Some one said my car engine is acting like a Diesel towards the starter fluid. But won't make the gas go boom. I am gona go over my ign system today and check for spark again. But so far the engine will only attempt to start with a dose of starter fuild. and not with gas.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Taste My Rainbow

hmmmm that sounds real wierd..
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM

No spark now on any spark plug. Humm. at least we know now why it ain't acting with the gas. So this means that Starter Fluid was makin my engine act like a Deisel. Go figure.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM
NisTuner

So your pump is working, you're getting fuel pressure, and your injectors are firing. You're just not getting spark to finish the process? Maybe your ignition coil?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:57 PM

I am going over everything now. I won't have anymore time today to mess with her.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Über User

yes you will...screw life and its funcitons....its Z Z Z 24-7 until its running by itself. c'mon
Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
yes you will...screw life and its funcitons....its Z Z Z 24-7 until its running by itself. c'mon
Hey leave the kid alone. To me he is one of the most patient Z owner's out there. I mean he has been on here, and still doesn't have a running Z. And yet he keeps trying, and is stubborn like me. And I admire his persistance, and determination, to get it running. I mean d#mn, he has more than me. Anyway we will do what it takes to get his Z, the glory it deserves.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Über User

haha...no doubt ^^^^ im just impatient...i read and read on how things get revistited and done over and its like...you get the feeling why cant i be there and experience what he's talkin about...and that just turned into the feeling of...finish now, no more need for time anywhere else. but yeha he is definatly patient, since ive joined he has been in this...but now he is closer than ever. and it seems like....why is this one problem...so damn tuff. its not fair....to him
Old 08-25-2006, 03:33 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
haha...no doubt ^^^^ im just impatient...i read and read on how things get revistited and done over and its like...you get the feeling why cant i be there and experience what he's talkin about...and that just turned into the feeling of...finish now, no more need for time anywhere else. but yeha he is definatly patient, since ive joined he has been in this...but now he is closer than ever. and it seems like....why is this one problem...so damn tuff. its not fair....to him
I hear you man, I am sure if I was over there with him. I could probably get his Z running for him. But all we can do, is guide him on here. And yes, it can get difficult, when we can't see the things, he is trying to troubleshoot. And I am sure that is verry frustrating for him more than us.

It sounds like he needs to check his ignition system again. And what about your AFM Fubar? Is it working correctly? I know they can cause a big friggin' headache. Take it from me, I have already experienced that. Keep the faith man, we are here for you all the way.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 PM

As far as i know. AFM is fine. But even if it won't. she should still fire fuel. and give spark. Hell. i had spark last week. now that i can give it fuel Spark goes away. She acts like she just don't want to ever run again. Got to break her.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Have You Checked To See If The Dizzy Is Flipped Around Wrong?
Old 08-26-2006, 08:28 AM

Wow. ok. So i set her top dead center, grabed the coil wire. and my girl bumps it for me. So while i am there dancing. my hair standing up. i noticed i had spark again. I checked at spark plug. it's lookin a bit orange rather then blue. But at least i got spark again. While tryign to stat. i hear my MAF dooor opeing and closing(first time ever) she still won't act on gas. but she does act even better with starter fluid.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM

shes not going to burn gasoline with an orange spark.under pressure and with fuel present that spark is probably not even happening in the cylinders. Time to find the source of your weak spark. Start with the coil. Check it to make sure it's good and check to make sure the coil is recieving full voltage.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM

how much is full voltage. I have nothing that tells me how much somthing recives or send out voltage wise.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Off topic. But why start a new post just to say this?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2442519
Jus tput it on there. and will do more with it soon.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
how much is full voltage. I have nothing that tells me how much somthing recives or send out voltage wise.
The coil should be getting battery voltage. Anywhere from 12-14V is normal. Coil output is too high to measure with a multimeter. Also Ohm the coil to make sure it's not damaged internally.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 PM

This might be lame. but i don't know how to use the OHM feature of my multimeter.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Über User

its ok....i dont think i do either.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 PM

does yours just have one setting for measuring Ohms or does it break it up into m-Ohms, Ohms, and K-Ohms (or any combo)? If it's just Ohms then set it there and with no Voltage supplied to the current take a reading between the two points that you want to know the resistance. If you have to select a range then for testing the coil you should choose Ohms or K-Ohms due to the high resistance of the coil.

If you can put up a pic or what brand/model of meter I can tell you exactly how to use it. An Ohmmeter is probably the most helpful tool in diagnosing electrical problems. I hardly ever use the Amp or Voltmeter parts of my multimeter. I'll use the Voltmeter part to check battery voltage but thats about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

If you do need a new coil, get one from an 84 to 89 300ZX Turbo.

In my experience, the hottest coil ever supplied by Nissan.