280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!

I've managed to source connectors for the stock engine wiring harness. It will include nine EV1 connectors for the fuel injectors, cold start valve, idle air and thermal switch, a three pin connector for the TPS and the seven pin AFM connector. I'm redoing all the connectors all my harnesses and I ordered in extra connectors for members on the forum. Price will be $50 shipped in US/Canada. There is well over $100 worth of connectors so this is a great deal. If you have a 280ZX and you haven't replaced the 30+ year old connectors on your car yet you need this kit! A lot of the problems on the car have to do with corroded or loose connectors. Cleaning the male side of the plugs is possible on the AFM, injectors, TPS, etc however cleaning the female side on the connector is difficult and doesn't often last. The reason is that the male connector is easily accessable and are usually solid brass. These can be cleaned/polished to new condition. The connector side is plated and the disimilar metals cause corrosion and the plating is destroyed in the process. Cleaning the corrosion is difficult because they are physically difficult to access and with the plated material missing the base material will quickly corrode and the problems will come back.

A lot of the problems associated with the idle and running of the car are associated with the AFM connector. Often the clip from the connector is missing causing poor a poor connection which can cause intermittant faults which are often difficult to track down.

I would highly recomend replacing the stock negative battery cable with a heavy cable to the starter and one to the chassis. I also recomend a ground cable from the chassis where the battery cable mounts to the ECU and from the ECU to the ground point for all the sensors on the manifold near the Idle air valve. Replace all the connectors with this kit and you have an excellent base for your electronic fuel injection system.

Replacing your connectors isn't going to solve all your electrical problems but it will give you a good solid base and eliminate a lot of potential problems.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM

do you know when these will be ready to ship? and how do you want the payment?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
JSM

Anything for the 300zx in your searching?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Tuners dream
do you know when these will be ready to ship? and how do you want the payment?
I'm hoping to get the shipment in before Christmas. Send me a PM that you're interested and I'll add you to the list. As soon as the connectors come in I'll post pictures of the kit.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by JSM
Anything for the 300zx in your searching?
Z31 or Z32? I can probably build a kit. I made the S130 kit just from my own frustration trying to get the connectors at a reasonable price and not having to ship from various companies. Ironically enough I dropped $800 on connectors so I didn't have to spend $175 to refurbish my harness.

The Z31 is the only I don't have (well and a Z33 but I have access to one to verify connectors) so if you had pictures of the connectors you need I can start doing some research.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Über User

if only it had the connectors for the turbo ECU as well, that would be gold.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
if only it had the connectors for the turbo ECU as well, that would be gold.
I'm working on that as well. The connectors are not available but if I can get pins remanufactured then we will be golden
Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

I'll get one let me know!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Über User

I'll prob take a set regardless but ecumenical connectors I crave.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Wow, this is a great deal! I recently replaced the FI connectors on mine, otherwise, I'd probably jump on this - thanks for offering it. Are you doing this for S30s as well?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Same harness for the FI S30's so yes
Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yay the connectors are in! Well sort of... they sent me the wrong TPS connector which apparently is on it's way - grrrrr. Anyhow I'm super happy with the connectors - they are actually better than I thought. They are better than the stock connectors in a few different ways. First they have a silicone gasket inside the connector to keep water out. They also use a silicone plug on the wire going into the connector to keep water from getting in on the wire side. They also have a squeeze release mechanisim so you don't have to mess around with the clip to get the connector to release. You also don't need to worry about loosing the clip! The AFM also has a rubber boot similar to the original stock one. The pins are also a lot nicer than the stock pins. They have a secondary spring which helps increase the clamping force on the terminal giving you a better contact and less chance of having an intermittant fault.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!-afm-connector.jpg   Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!-ev1-connector.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Ok I made a little video up to give you some pointers on repairing your wiring harness. I did the AFM which is the most complicated of the ones we'll be replacing. It's a little embarasing because I messed up the connector trying to keep the video time short but I left it in. It's a good reminder to make sure you've got everything in place before you solder or crimp your connector on. I do this sort of work all the time and I should know better - shows you what happens when you rush Anyhow if you have any questions the video doesn't answer feel free to ask!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VYE1qs9ra0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Sounds like a nice kit! Any idea when the correct TPS connector will be in?

Oh, you have PM
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Über User

I want these now. Get the tps in? And when will there be a kit for ecu connectors? I rant all of these right meow
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

There was a little confusion on getting the TPS connectors sent out so it may be another week or two - sorry for the delay guys hopefully we'll get you set up soon!

Still trying to source pins for the turbo ECU side...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Über User

You're an electrical pro right? Should be cake finding em for you

P.s. what's a zedex?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

30 year old electronics parts are like trying to find dinasaur bones lol - they are usually both long since extinct

Zedex is a much faster courior service that competes with Fedex. Since the English invented the language we all call English and they call a Z "Zed" I'm sticking with it ;P You realize Americans are the only ones in the world who call it "Zee" right? And Celica is the other one that weirds me out when you guys pronounce it.... lol but it's all good
Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Lurker

Haha, how do you say Celica?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Like the rest of the world Or this guy...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Über User

Yup I know we are special with zee. Also interested in celica now too. I can still comment on you you pronounce your out words though.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yup I know we are special with zee. Also interested in celica now too. I can still comment on you you pronounce your out words though.
Lol for sure - it's all good
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Finally sucsess! The TPS plugs are in and they are the same quality build as the EV1 and AFM connector and they are even the right size Everyone who was waiting on the kit being complete your wait is over. Please send me a PM and I'll we'll figure out payment options, shipping etc.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!-tps-plug.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Über User

I want. I have money too, fancy American currency so what's that Exchange rate equate to like 10 bucks us? Lol but seriously....
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I want. I have money too, fancy American currency so what's that Exchange rate equate to like 10 bucks us? Lol but seriously....
Lol we've been at par or above for years now

Quick Reply: Wiring harness repair kit - eliminate your electrical gremlins!