280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What the F#@<, Man?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 12:06 PM

Angry What the F#@<, Man?!?!?

I'm having problems with my starters. neither of them hit the flywheel. It used to, but only about a 1/16 of an inch, and it ground of parts of the teeth. I don't know what the deal is, they both used to hit it just fine, and I did a bench test and they're both still good. Any advice might be helpful here.

Oh, a little background, I'm running an '82 L6 n/a with an '83 manual tranny. I ground down the piston in the solenoid, the stopper on the sprocket, and gained about a 1/8 of an inch, but it still doesn't hit. I'm going to try to grind down the part that bolts to the engine and maybe get another 1/8 to 1/4.

so if anyone's ever head this type of problem, please reply.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

mighyt be the flywheel

im guessing it could be the teeth on your flywheel might be chiped.. i had thr same problem with my old flywheel and when i tried to start the car, the starter just spun.... you can test it by putting the car in gear and push it enough to advance the flywheel to a non chiped area on the fly wheel then try starting it... if it starts then mostlikly the flywheel needs to be replaced...
Old 04-14-2003, 06:29 PM

hmm....strange....
but he says it BARELY makes it to the flywheel....
.....but you have a point if it did hit and now it just ground off the teeth.....

do you know if it always hit for only 1/16th of an inch or was it better?

when u did the bench test...do they come out totaly?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 PM

okay, so deal is... I had one of the starters on an '83 motor with the '83 manual tranny, and the other was on the '82 motor with the '82 auto tranny. Both hit where they were supposed to, but now, niether hit at all. i set the '82 auto flywheel up against the '83 motor, and it looked closer to the rest of the motor. But that should make no difference because....

both of the starters kick out the same distance!!

oh, and the teeth are only ground off only about the first 1/16th inch of the flywheel and starter.

Like it wants to hit. And it used to, but it ground off.

The starter is at my gradfathers right now... he's grinding off about a 1/4 of where it bolts to the motor. hopefully that will fix my problem.

I just don't understand why the starters started the motor and tranny they came on, but not this combination I have. I'm almost inclined to think that the end of the crankshaft on the '82, the part that the flywheel bolts to, is thicker or something.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:47 PM

oh, and yes. it did hit better than 1/16 an inch. you -er- I can look straight down into the starter hole and see the wear on the flywheel where it's supposed to be.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM

maybe...like maybe your flywheel sits further from the starter then it was before....but i think that grinding of the mounts a little will fix it right up....