280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Uhoh.... I think it might be V8 time..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Big Poppa

Well Decksetter I Hope You Get Something Out Of This Thread, I Think We All Know Each Others Passions Now. I Think You May Want To Start The Thread Again Titled "v8 In My Car?" And Collect Info From Everywhere Possible.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 PM

The mounts can be ordered, the driveshaft I believe would be custom. The wiring, if you go carbs would be none, f.i. would need alot of wiring. I'm just guessing from what I've read. Anyone else really know more?????
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Doesn't post much...

I saw a guy at MSA that had a supercharged Ford 302 in a 280Z. I would go that route if given the choice between that and the SBC. Again, HybridZ is the best place for information on this subject. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on there that should be able to help you track down what you'll need. Good luck with the project.

Rod.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

http://www.jagsthatrun.com
Old 01-03-2006, 03:34 PM

Thats the place to go. They look to be a better alternative to the MSA swap kit (the mounts anyways). But the difficulty goes up with the JTR kit. So it's a trade off. Better kit or easier kit Should be a no brainer: Better kit
Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I thought MSA was buying thier kits from JTR?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:22 PM

lol, I can't tell you how many times i have poped my hood and ppl expecting to see a 4 banger. they see that big ol strait 6, and they got to clean there short's. I love the L28E, even though i have not got to drive one yet, just workin on it, and hearing mine run for the VERY short time it did, It was Mean As Hell. it did not know or tick at all. it's in a pissy mood right now though, backfireing. the L28E can put out alot of power for an old motor, if you get her decked out totaly, block reworked and board over, head's redone, roller rocker's, a good aftermarket cam (your choice of stage), all performince part's, eather turbo or N/A, she's got power. and alot for a lil car. from what i hear, just a stock L28E is fun as hell to drive. If it were me, i'd rebuild the L28E, but IF i ever had to do a swap, i'd go all out, and find me a small Desiel, but i like to be a uniqe persion. My 2 Cent's, (also my opinion, )
Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by lww
I thought MSA was buying thier kits from JTR?
Maybe, and then modifying them According to JTR they are two different sets of mounts. They say the MSA ones are direct bolt in but place the engine high and forward for ease of installation. Where as the JTR ones allow a little more flexibility but the install is not so easily accomplished. It's been a while since I've been on their site though so things may have changed since then, but that was last I knew.

Of course JTR could be making the kits for MSA but they're just not the same kit as on the JTR site

What ever the case, whether MSA is using JTR mounts or not, JTR says the two kits from the two companies are different. But like I said, that could be outdated information.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM

I hate to tell u this but i love my 280zx turbo , but i would never go AMERICAN engine in my nissan car... to me its totaly self disrespect to selfestem , now if i was to up grade to a newer nissan engine every one knows i would go RB26DETT hmmm what a AWSOME CHOICE !!!!! any body ever done this ? let me know ? hehehe
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 PM

Yeah it's been done. I dont think theres a generation of Z thats hasn't had the RB26 stuffed in it by someone at some point. Now what I've never seen is someone stuff the engine and the entire drivetrain in a Z. An AWD RB26DETT'd 280ZX: now that would be sick, and as far as I know, has yet to be done. Dont quote me on that, I;ve just never heard of anyone doing it yet.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM

there are a few 4wd Z's out there, Hell i was gona do one, but i can't get my hands on a 80's model subaru front end, The 4wd Z's i have seen were monsterized from truck part's they looked like truck suspension, and frame with a Z body. eather way, I liked seeing the Z rip through the mud. But if i ever Could get my hands on a 80's model Subaru front end, I think i might have a rally Z, That would be a hell of a Z, of course i would need the transfer case out of the subaru also, but i have a few red neck freinds that can make it's all blend together.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 PM

i was checking on line on front clips skyline r-32's etc... i will be contacting my trusted friend PAUL ... and ask him about doing that type of swap in my car..
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 PM

You can get an entire GTR front clip for under $4k with a start up warranty. I know there are AWD Z's, there used to be one that sat in some guys yard back in NE. But I'm talking ATESSA AWD with an RB powering it
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Here's some pics from a guy in a local club here in Phoenix. Strictly drag...

Don'ta ask me about the cardboard girl. Kinda creepy...

Last edited by Carl's Z; 08-03-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/index.html

http://www.sleeperzx.com/

And the cleanest one I've seen (even though it's a 2+2!):

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/index.html
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Big Poppa

That Gray Z Is Nice. That Guys Is Quite The Craftsman. Up Here I Can Get An Older Awd Skyline For 8000 Cdn From My Friend Who Imports Them. And Any Rb26 Parts I Want.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 PM

Is that the chic from Species?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Looks a tad like Cindy Margolis, but can't be sure....
Old 01-05-2006, 10:34 PM

Hell if I know. I do know this: It aint Jessica Alba (obsessed much )
Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM

Oh put a VG30ET or VG33 hybrid in and be done with it. Otherwise when I do it there will be demands for pics, pics and more pics
Old 01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Doesn't post much...

I was thinking about this whole motor swap thing yesterday. There are so many guys with Chevy motors, or Ford motors and now it seems that everybody wants to find an RB motor and swap that in to a Z car. I finally figured it out! Actually, it was my Porsche that gave me the idea. Now, this would take a ton of money and fabrication, but it could be done. How about taking the motor out of the front of the z entirely, moving the fuel tank to the front, mounting a Porsche Turbo flat 6 motor right behind the seats (Rear/mid) and drive the rear wheels with it!!!!!!! If you could pull that off, you would have the craziest and gnarliest 280ZX on the planet bar none. Think about it... I know J is thinking "Holy crap! that would be sweet" . I'd do it if I had about 50K to blow on a project (at least)!!!!!!. Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Just swap in the rear section of a Fiero and you could cut your costs I've thought about the whole rear engine thing before but thats a lot of work. I was just looking at this Diablo kit car site the other day and thinking that would be sic if you could put an engine in the rear of the Z. I think I'll stick with a front engine layout for now though I've been seriously contemplating a VQ40 out of a late model truck or SUV. Put a turbo or two on that sucker and you've got a light weight torquey motor with all the aftermarket support of the current VQ Then just bolt up the 6 speed from the 350Z and you've got yourself one hell of a ride
Old 01-11-2006, 02:25 PM

well like stated earlier, if you must swap in another motor, then put in the heavy weights, 2jz, or vg30det, or rb26. Power and light weight super car
Old 01-11-2006, 03:23 PM

VQ probably weighs close to 200lbs lighter than any one of those motors. On the street I'm not going to be putting out 1000HP. And in street trim the VQ will hit on just as much power as a streetable RB or 2JZ. So if you figure all of those motors at 500HP for a street driven vehicle not only would the VQ40 have a better torque curve but the car it's in will weigh a clean 100lbs less (with turbos on the VQ). Not to mention weight distribution is a good deal better with the V6. The VG would be nice but the VQ is still A LOT lighter. The VQ is nissans engine of choice in racing, not the RB. It's been that way for a few years now. So I think it's safe to say that the VQ is Nissans new power house. Lighter than the RB, better power delivery, and a shorter engine for better placement. The only thing the RB has on the VQ is the fact that it can push rediculous numbers that your average tuner is not going to see anyways.

But then again, you did say "heavy weights" is just what those motors are I'm not knocking those motors at all. As far as power goes in the import world, those motors dominate all, hands down.

You gotta admit a 400ZX twin turbo does sound inticing And that silky smooth 350Z 6 speed: Butter baby
Old 01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Doesn't post much...

That "Silky Smooth" 6 Speed has been overwhelmed with problems and isn't quite so "Silky" after about 15K. Nissan has a fix in place for most of the issues it has, but I'm not 100% sure about that tranny yet... If they can fix it though, I agree it would dominate all!!!!! Rod.

Quick Reply: Uhoh.... I think it might be V8 time..........