280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

two months

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 AM

two months

So here it is, I've been back from OHIO for two months now I've started my new job and i've realised that I've only driven my 83' 280zx once....once. I don't have time to enjoy it or do what's needed to finish it.

part of me wants to sell it, find it a better home with some one who has the time... maybe get a newer model that dosen't need worked on.

another part of me would really miss it but it's just collecting layers of dust here in my parking deck while my new car gets dinged up and picked on by the cars that go to the Z car gurage.

after all my suki is a a lot faster and has A/C and well it's a year old...

so the question;

1. keep her and see what the future brings

2. buy one that needs less work

3. sell mine to someone who'll really fix it up and give it the drive time it really deserves...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 AM

Well do u need the room? Are u paying insurance on her? if not, i'd say keep her.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 AM

If you don't have the time to do the work on her that you need to do to enjoy it, then I'd say sell it and get one that's in good shape and doesn't need the work. Something that you can just drive. But if you don't have an affinity for the Z car and don't enjoy them then it's probably just your best bet to let her move on. I'd hate to see an enthusiast part ways with their Z (seems to be happening a lot lately aroung here ) but if you can't enjoy it you might as well let someone else. Final call is yours though. I know if I got rid of my Z I'd be miserable.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Ditto man, if I got rid of my Z's I would be sunk man.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

work on it little by little. take your time. work on her when you have the chance and money. my Z is my daily driver now, but before i got to this stage i bought my Z from a salvage yard in terrible condition. took me a little over a year just to get her road worthy, working here and there. dont let it go just yet
Old 08-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

keep her... do what you can when you can.. and in no time youll have a car youll be proud of.. having a new car is not nearly as rewarding as having a car you built and fixed yourself... i say keep her
Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by icice9
.. having a new car is not nearly as rewarding as having a car you built and fixed yourself... i say keep her

SO TRUE ICE........... SOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 PM

even though your suki may run right now, there's always the unforseen that could happen. If you were to get into an accident, for example (I don't want this to happen to you, because that'd just suck), and your suki was in the shop, you'd have no vehicle for the time being. Yeah, your insurance company would more than likely provide a rental for you, but the main thing I'm trying to say is that it's nice to have a back up car, even if it doesn't run just right. If it gets you from point a to point b safely, that's all that matters in my book.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Z8 driver

keep the Z man. It's always a good idea to have a second car, like Jeremy said... plus, having a Z for a second car is a sweet deal anyway...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 AM
The Evil Twin

How about having two Z cars?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

2 Zs are always better than having 1 lol you can pick and choose which one you want to sport for your day.. just like shoes...
Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 AM

Not to be condescending, but if you have to ask, then you should move on. These forums should tell you what a good time people have with their Z's, and also some of the hard work into enjoying these cars. If your not into working on it and just want a car that will work when you want it to, then you should sell it and get something newer. I hate to say it, but you don't really sound like a "Z" person. The older ones take some TLC and knowledge, and if your just not into it, which is completely understandable, then there's your answer. Sell it and get your Suzuki or whatever. I'm sure you'd be happier with not having to put your sweat and tears into a car for everyday driving like most of us here have.

That's my 2 pesos worth. Sorry if it was "to the point", but it was "in essence" meant to be...

Good luck in the future...

Carl's Z

PS: I'm not tring to be an ***, and your ALWAYS welcome back here regardless as far as I'm concerned. Just don't become a "ricer"...

Last edited by Carl's Z; 08-17-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM

This is CRAZY talk. Are my ears (well eyes actually) decieving me? What's all this nonsense about a second car? THE Z SHOULD BE THE MAIN CAR! The only time my Z will become the second car will be if I get another Z. Even when it's down for work its still my primary ride, that's what the Protege is for .

Oh and Carl I gotta agree with you for the most part. But even I've had second thoughts about my Z. Not neccesarily giving up on it, but rather buying another one to drive so I can finally pull this one off the road and really tear into it. But all in all, I think you're point is pretty accurate. If it's a problem for someone to have to work on their car (especially if they got another one to drive) then it's probably not the best thing for them. I get a thorough satisfaction out of driving my Z and thats why I would never sell her unless it was for another Z (but then whats the point right?)
Old 08-18-2005, 12:00 AM

the issue isn't if i want to work on it, heck i got it off of my friend with the bulk of it in boxes.

but i switched jobs and it just.... sits there all it really needs is a little more wiring work and the body work to be finished, yall' seen the car (for the most part ) at freekmont or at the gatherings at stone ridge but now I'm working like crazy to keep a district up and running. i leave my home at 8:30 and get home at 10:15 or maybe a bit latter if i stop off for a burger. i do that seven days a week and work till seven or eight on sundays.

this job has taken over my life, i just want what's best for the car.

and suki is my turbo charged elantra witch gets the same amount of niglect i'm afaraid. the only difrence is it has a/c and rides like the newer car it is.

i'm not so sure i just need to find a less demanding job. what's good haveing the money if you can't enjoy it?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by tekanitrus
the issue isn't if i want to work on it, heck i got it off of my friend with the bulk of it in boxes.

but i switched jobs and it just.... sits there all it really needs is a little more wiring work and the body work to be finished, yall' seen the car (for the most part ) at freekmont or at the gatherings at stone ridge but now I'm working like crazy to keep a district up and running. i leave my home at 8:30 and get home at 10:15 or maybe a bit latter if i stop off for a burger. i do that seven days a week and work till seven or eight on sundays.

this job has taken over my life, i just want what's best for the car.

and suki is my turbo charged elantra witch gets the same amount of niglect i'm afaraid. the only difrence is it has a/c and rides like the newer car it is.

i'm not so sure i just need to find a less demanding job. what's good haveing the money if you can't enjoy it?

exactly man... I make 35K a year, which isn't A TON, but i've got PLENTY of free time to make up for it... I say get a new job! What are you doing now a day??
Old 08-22-2005, 06:12 PM

I am the district manager for wti a re-seller for verizon wireless
I handle 6 stores right now and once the district picks up i'll get two more.

I left early to take itout for a spin today and realised the reg was up A MONTH AGO!!

<sighs> spent 3 hours at the dmv, slaped the sticker on the tag hit the key.... and drove to kragens to have the battery charged. >,<``

so i posted it on craigs list, if it dosen't sell after a week then i'll call it fate and look for a job that i can have life with, maybe demote myself. that or pay someone else to finish it.

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/92763194.html
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 PM

She looks like a keeper to me. So I say keep her, and judging from you ad she doesn't need that much work. And like you mentioned above, you could always pay a shop and have em get her up to the level you want it at so you can just drive it and not worry about it.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah man that is a pretty clean Z, take jfairlady's advice. Let someone else, fix it up for you. And then all you have to do, is drive down the blacktop. Without a worry at all!!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 PM

Well I left my job today... who's up for body work?!?!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 PM

Somebody better help this guy out!!! He quit his frickin job to keep his Z!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 PM

lol !!

I'm thinking of going into busness for myself, maybe..

I just need to figure out what i want to do cos' I need to do something that dosen't take 15 hours from my day six days a week and 8 on sundays..
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Somebody better help this guy out!!! He quit his frickin job to keep his Z!!!
That is what I call a zfreak, and verry obsessed! LOL! Anyway you don't want to work your life away Tekanitrus. But you should find some other guranteed income, before you quit your current job. Anyway good luck to you, and nice to hear your keeping the Z. Or is it?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 PM

don't think i'm gonna be selling it now.

I drove it for 4 hours and two cigars yesterday, i'm gonna call and have my ins. boosted back up from just fire and theft in a little bit. I'm also calling a few friends and seeing if they can lend a hand getting my foot in the door of a few places.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Good to hear man, good luck to you. And glad you decided to keep your Z!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Holy hell, we're in the same position!

I've finally decided to keep my Zed. She may only be worth about $400 in material, but in sentimental value she's worth millions.

Jason, I'm still selling you my distributor, don't worry. This will give me a chance to run a MegaSquirt system, and the supercharger setup I planned a while ago [again, don't worry Jason, I'll let you do it first. ].

Dude, quitting your job for your Zed sled is one hell of a move. Kudos, and congrats. Best of luck on finding another something-something to pay the bills.

Looks like the Z-car Family is full of addicted nuts. Add one to the ranks.
-Dave-O

Quick Reply: two months