280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Stalling issues

I searched and searched could find the thread I wanted so I'm going to start this one ... sorry guys
I have an 82 280zx non turbo after about 15 minutes to 20 minutes about the time it takes to get up to temp the car just dies/stalls. I can't figure it out. It starts up like nothing happened after the first stall it'll stall again but not always right away... sometimes it does tho. Please help I am not an expert mechanic but do know my way around a car. Truthfully I'm not very good with the electrical testing and am not sure I'm doing things right. I live in northern Ohio so I only get about 6 to 8 months to drive my Z but it truely is a pain when you can't figure out and all my mechanic buddies have lil experience with these cars... they are much younger than I am. I can give you any additional info. Btw when i picked her up last year it didnt have this problem I did all the basic maintainance on her plus had to throw in an alternator..... I also replaced and/or clean up most of the grounds on her. Desparately seeking insight. And thanx
Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

XenonS130 and download the FSM

Check the CHTS first...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 AM

so it could be a few things... the CHTS. Does it run rough? If it runs fine and then just suddenly shuts down it could be the Ignition Control Module on the side of the distributor. My Z should run fine and the suddenly stall on me. On my Z (1983 NA) it was the fuel pump. It's not good to run your Z on Empty... from what I hear the gas actually lubricates the pump and so running it on empty is not good for the gas pump. I changed the fuel pump and it was all gravy.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Ok... CHTS is good then again I'm not confident enough in diagnostic abilities to be 100% sure also fuel pump checked out good... I haven't thought about the Ignition control mod..... I tested tps.... the AFM.....plugged and unpluged every sensor i've seen.... sprayed contact cleaner and scrubbed clean everything that needed it ..... And I looked thru the forums and FSM....lol My poor lil tablet running outa space due to all the info Ive been looking @ for my Z...... I keep saying all she needs is a little TLC..... After work I'll definately look into that control mod... Thank you gentleman.... I hate having to ask questions but I just got back to work and don't wanna just throw money at her when I don't have too....
Old 05-13-2013, 01:24 PM

My fuel pump would run fine for 30 to 40 minutes and then die on me... just be aware that this happens some times.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Still looking for help from some friends since my electrical skills are lacking, I like to be double checked. sorry I haven't updated but chts i'm pretty positive is good. I heard about fuel pump and haven't had time to check. works been busy. I just wanted to semi update and thank everyone for input. I keep people posted. and possibly some pics.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM

.Okay alil more status update as I took time and scoured forums google and a plethera knowledge from a Mechanic I trust but he has no experience with the Datsuns. I thinking I narrowed it down to a spark issue and have decided to start small and start with the pick up coil .... cheap and probably shoulda been changed when I tuned her up, All my bad. Hopefully it will be the end all be all. If not It looking like I go to the IC module..... or start swapping connectors causes I found an extra harness..... today more multimeter..... I think I'm getting it
Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The pickup coil is usually OK but the ignition module on the dizzy failure isn't uncommon at al...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM

once Again Fric, you are the man..... I went through again and clean the terminals and plug on the IC mod and its much better.... wanna replace the plug still and get one for when it does ... she seems to better.... couple hours of running and only 2 instances one at full throttle on freeway... of course fired right back up and once rightafter start up again she fires up..... going back and redoing everything again..... and continue to replace/clean the grounds... Thanks will keep everyone updated when i run into another problem
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 AM

once Again Fric, you are the man..... I went through again and clean the terminals and plug on the IC mod and its much better.... wanna replace the plug still and get one for when it does ... she seems to better.... couple hours of running and only 2 instances one at full throttle on freeway... of course fired right back up and once rightafter start up again she fires up..... going back and redoing everything again..... and continue to replace/clean the grounds... Thanks will keep everyone updated when i run into another problem