280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Some serious Doo-Doo... transmission related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Some serious Doo-Doo... transmission related.

Okay, for a bit of background on WHY i picked up this transmission and put it in the car, my other topic is a few below this one.

I bought a used transmission from a place in Tulsa, was told it shifted fine and was pulled from a running driving no problem car. I think i can believe this, as I have a 30-day money back guarantee. I forgot to bring in the repair manual form the shop, but its the B model for 280zx's, whereas my original is a C model, and i (think I) know this because my original has a reverse sensor plate(?) and the new one does not.

So, before putting the new one in but after the old one was pulled, I started messing with things to see how similar they were, where things went, etc. I unscrewed a large 17mm bolt form the rear housing, positioned about 3 inches from the end of the Transmission and 1 inch below and 1 inch in front of where the shifter plugs in. I cant remember what it is called. Directly in front of this is a hole in the housing that contains a pin held in by a E clamp, or C clamp or w/e they are called. When I unbolted the large 17mm bolt, it unscrewed about 1/2 an inch or less, and I found it to be hollow. Inside, there is a heavy-duty spring. On the other end of the spring, which I discovered on accident later, is...something. It is like a metal cap, with a raises center line.

I also unpinned the smaller hole, which then enabled the shifter assembly to move back and forth, rotate from side to side, and be moved with certain combinations of twisting and pulling or pushing. Running up the side of this is a groove, that the "something" mentioned earlier looks to be pressed into to prevent movement. Upon attempting to reinsert the pin, I discovered that there is only 1 way to return it to the original configuration, where shifting is possible. However, I don't know what that way is.

And that is the problem. Does anyone have experience with this phenomena of moving shifter thing? And how to correct it? I cannot find the right "slot" for me to be able to shift into gear, and Ive already put the new transmission in the ca. I'm at my wits end right now. any help, any idea, anything at all is what I'm needing, folks.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Some serious Doo-Doo... transmission related.-part-1.jpg   Some serious Doo-Doo... transmission related.-part2.jpg  

Last edited by KHCreason; 07-25-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM

I have never messed with transmitions, so i can not really help. Nor do I see anybody else able to help. Try to post on Hybrid Z, Lots of people can help you there.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Ah, no worries. took it to a datsun guy here in town and hes getting me squared away.