280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

SLOW 280zx(non Z driver)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM

SLOW 280zx(non Z driver)

I would have introduced myself in the forums but I dont quite plan on beeing around too much atm. I love z's, almost picked up a cherry 240z but was gone within an hour on craigslist, guy only wanted 1k, hope to find another in the next year or so. But my questions come to a friends 280zx. just to start off I am not familiar with Nissans at all really, but I am no stranger to cars in general.

Ok well the car is a 1983 280zx Turbo, the main problem is no power what so ever. IT shard to explain in detail as I have only test driven it once, I knew within the first minute that soemthing was really wrong. Throttle response is complete ****, not sure how accurate but a simple description would be.

Going wot at 20 mph, you gain 10 mph in maybe 8-10 secconds. First real indication of a problem is the boost gauge in dash is reachinig maybe 2-3lbs.

Dry compression is as follows,
1-108
2-80
3-110
4-95
5-108
6-110

Didnt do a wet test as im sure I will be replacing rings anyhow as low as the compression is, however I dont want to rebuild it and come to find out it still isnt bosstign as it should. Id rather get the boost problem fixed to make any other parts needing to be replaced are done so when it is all apart.

Thank you to all and any help, and hope to be joing you guys myself soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by supertuner12010
I would have introduced myself in the forums but I dont quite plan on beeing around too much atm. I love z's, almost picked up a cherry 240z but was gone within an hour on craigslist, guy only wanted 1k, hope to find another in the next year or so. But my questions come to a friends 280zx. just to start off I am not familiar with Nissans at all really, but I am no stranger to cars in general.

Ok well the car is a 1983 280zx Turbo, the main problem is no power what so ever. IT shard to explain in detail as I have only test driven it once, I knew within the first minute that soemthing was really wrong. Throttle response is complete ****, not sure how accurate but a simple description would be.

Going wot at 20 mph, you gain 10 mph in maybe 8-10 secconds. First real indication of a problem is the boost gauge in dash is reachinig maybe 2-3lbs.

Dry compression is as follows,
1-108
2-80
3-110
4-95
5-108
6-110

Didnt do a wet test as im sure I will be replacing rings anyhow as low as the compression is, however I dont want to rebuild it and come to find out it still isnt bosstign as it should. Id rather get the boost problem fixed to make any other parts needing to be replaced are done so when it is all apart.

Thank you to all and any help, and hope to be joing you guys myself soon.
The boost problem may be that there isn't enough exhaust to even spool the turbo?

Also, is this a sudden onset issue or did he just purchase the car or something?

Checked all the basics? Ignition (plugs, wires, cap), and fuel? Also check the timing.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
The boost problem may be that there isn't enough exhaust to even spool the turbo?

Also, is this a sudden onset issue or did he just purchase the car or something?

Checked all the basics? Ignition (plugs, wires, cap), and fuel? Also check the timing.
Makes since, he did say something about the intake and exhaust mani gaskets beign replaced by another mechanic just prior. I noticed a bolt was bissing on the exhuast mani as well.

He has owned the car for quite a while now, its been like this for a while, its been to multiple mechnics, but no one has rellay done anything that helped. I can only go buy what he has told me has been replaced.

Plugs are some e3, never really been a fan of them, but have never used them myslef so I am not to sure. Wires check out visually but have yet to check resistance on them. Cap I am not to sure either, there is a bolt missing on the distributor though, so I know its been messed with.

Seems as though I might just have to pull the engine and get it on the stand. Making sure everything checks out, was hoping there might have been common problems with them. For the life of me I cant figure out the bov, looks to me like its a recirculating system but I just cant figure out what everything is for.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by supertuner12010
Makes since, he did say something about the intake and exhaust mani gaskets beign replaced by another mechanic just prior. I noticed a bolt was bissing on the exhuast mani as well.

He has owned the car for quite a while now, its been like this for a while, its been to multiple mechnics, but no one has rellay done anything that helped. I can only go buy what he has told me has been replaced.

Plugs are some e3, never really been a fan of them, but have never used them myslef so I am not to sure. Wires check out visually but have yet to check resistance on them. Cap I am not to sure either, there is a bolt missing on the distributor though, so I know its been messed with.

Seems as though I might just have to pull the engine and get it on the stand. Making sure everything checks out, was hoping there might have been common problems with them. For the life of me I cant figure out the bov, looks to me like its a recirculating system but I just cant figure out what everything is for.
Well before you go through the effort of pulling the motor definitely go through and test everything to do with fuel and spark. And please check the timing. May also want to check out the CHTS if the car has one. An easy way to test it is just let the car warm up all the way and pull the plug on it off. If the engine's running changes it's likely working correctly.

If you haven't already seen this, here's a PDF version of the FSM: XenonS130 - S130 Reference

Also I highly suggest you pick up a copy of the Haynes manual: Amazon