280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Rewinds

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by lww
NASA is the North American Sportscar Association.
so what kind of awsome deal did Konig get?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lww
NASA is the North American Sportscar Association.
Hey things are looking much clearer now. Thanks are in order to Bleach and lww for ending the confusion and corny space shuttle jokes we've been spitting out

And I don't know if I'd trust spending $55 dollars on a new wheel.

Kinda off subject (well we have been blowing smoke ) but... Has anyone seen those Kumho tires that burn red smoke? No ish, it's actually red. They're not going to sell them to the public, but they're suppling them to one of the drift teams (can't remember which). It's actually pretty trick looking.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 AM

yes the red smoke show tires are very sick .......i think it would be fun doing some donuts on main street with a set of thoughs
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM

Can you imagine the look on peoples faces when they see red smoke coming from your tires?!? Man I wish they would sell those things Come on Rod, I know you got the hook ups in the tire world. How bout hittin Kumho up for some of them suckers
Old 09-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Tell you what Rod, you get me a pair of those for the rear end I'll put em on and go down to the precinct here in Suffolk and start doing donuts in the parking lot until the tires blow out and have the whole thing taped so everybody here can see it They'd probably think I was a terrorist or something with poison gas trying to take out their department
Old 09-09-2005, 10:15 PM

J, I'd pay to see that. Wait 'till I get to VA before attempting this maneuver .
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by BigBirdsZ
so what kind of awsome deal did Konig get?
If I recall correctly, the awesome deal NASA members were getting from the Konig agreement was:

$55/wheel for 15's.

$65/wheel for 16's.

$75/wheel for 17's.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:09 PM

lww when you can get the zxt out of the shop?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dorifto
J, I'd pay to see that. Wait 'till I get to VA before attempting this maneuver .
Rods gotta hook me up with some of them tires first
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Doesn't post much...

Huh? What tires? You don't mean the Kumho's that bellow red smoke do you? Remember a few years ago, BFG came out with the "Scorchers" that had one section of tread that was either blue, red, or yellow... and you could make colored skidmarks with them? It kinda backfired because people thought it glorified unsafe driving. Anyway's, I'll let you in on a little secret. The tire business is brutally competitive. The average mark-up is betwen 10 and 20%. On brands like Michelin or BFG... you're sometimes lucky to sell them above cost at all. Every tire chain gets special buys from time to time that makes them more competitive on a certain brand or style than the other guys, but all in all... if you do a little shopping you will find almost everybody is within a few bucks of each other. It's funny when new kids come to work for me because they think they're gonna get a fat hook up on tires with their cost+10% Discount... sometimes cost+10 is higher than retail! We make our profit in other areas... but even that is slim at the end of the day (See my previous rant about the cost of doing business). If you want the best deal, buy them online through "Tire rack" or "Tires.com". All you have to do is find a shop to mount them up for you.

Rod.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM

I didn't mean hook up as in free or discount Rod. I've never in my life tried to take advantage of anyone like that. If someone offers me something at discount of course I'm going to take it. But I wouldn't just come out and ask for one because I knew THEY could get one. When I said hook up I meant along the lines of getting a hold of a tire not available to the general public. And I figured it was something along the lines of promoting unsafe driving, What the Hell what other reason would there be to not release something like that. Anyways, this whole thing was all in fun anyways. Unless of course you can ACTUALLY get them

And Rod how do those online place make their money then? I mean it's not like they can make their profit in labor. Why is it they can sell them cheaper? Some of those kinds of places even have free shipping and stuff, or buy 4 wheels and get the tires free.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:50 PM

Oh and I've busted tires for a living and no discount is worth a 10+hour day doing tires. If the pay is good it can be worth it, but just to get a discount on tires. Definitely not worth it. And the only discount I got was that I got to install them for free. Whoopie Still paid full price for the tire though. Oh well, I wasn't working there for the discount anyways. I was a job and it got me through school for the short time I spent there.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Doesn't post much...

Oh, I knew you were just playin'... I didn't take it like you were hitting me up. I just thought everyone might be interested in knowing a little inside info on the tire bidness. I can get any tire that's maid... I just buy at different levels of discount, from different companies. As for how they sell them online so cheap. Volume. WHen they buy a shipment of tires, they buy thousands them at a time. As where I may stock two sets of 235/45zr17 Yoko ES100's in my store... they will stock a couple hundred of that same tire. Because they buy in such bulk, they pay a little less or sometimes... a lot less. There has been times where TireRack was selling a tire to the general public for less than what I pay for them. Bear in mind that I have Big O's buying power behind me... We are the biggest in the Industy, Overall, we buy deeper than anyone else. Still, there will always be certain tires that TireRack or Tires.com (Discount tire direct) will get cheaper. Plus, they charge twice as much for shipping as it actually cost them to ship. If they're making ten bucks on the tire, and another $7.50 in shipping, They're making $17.50... A couple THOUSAND times a day. It adds up pretty quick.Rod.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Blown headgasket user

im still here you fools. just rebuilding my engine and getting a gt28r. will update soon, but i have the rods, pistons out and block clean ready to reassemble..
Old 09-29-2005, 10:52 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, but we lost interest in you when J and Rod jacked this thread!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey! That's what we do best

Rod.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Fleaicous
lww when you can get the zxt out of the shop?
It'll be done when it's done! Started pullin' stuff off the engine compartment for powder coating...

When that's done, I'll drop the rest of the motor and tranny, pull everything else out of the engine compartment that will come out and then send it back to paint and body to get the intercooler pipeing holes in the radiator support opened up and nicely finished then the engine compartment needs cleaned up and re-painted.

Have to re-do the side skirts. I didn't like how the blend job came out. Have to drill out the rivets and cut the epoxy away from between the skirts and body, re-shape them, re-attach and re-paint.

This will make for the 4th time the hood has been painted...

And then I've got to do a ton of little touch-up work. Like, all original screws in the cowl vents, replace the driver's tail light where the black outer edge is cracked, put the freakin' door mirrors on! The list is like a page and a half single space typed...

And then I've got to get the rest of the engine itself cleaned up, get the new diff w/LSD installed with new CV's then put on the drive shaft loop, install the 4 puck kevlar clutch, have to decide if I'm going to build a new IC core or re-use the one I have... and it goes on and on and on...

I'm hoping it'll be ready by NEXT years MSA show....
Old 09-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

Dude, You can't bring that car to MSA next Year!!!! I'm supposed to win that show!!!

Rod.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Dude, You can't bring that car to MSA next Year!!!! I'm supposed to win that show!!!

Rod.
Don't worry Rod. It's a people's choice award. After what I saw at this year's show, the people are friggin' blind!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Doesn't post much...

Ain't that the truth...

Rod.