280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Project log *with pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
From NY to AZ

Yea the dash cap does cover the right speaker, but I wont be using those POS dash speakers when I do the stereo anyways
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
From NY to AZ

So I'm leaving for AZ tonight guys, wish me luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM
From NY to AZ

Not much to update in the past year, my GF and I have been using the Z as a daily driver since January so it has been on the road nonstop. Had to replace the brake rotors front and rear since they were shot but other than that the Z has been problem free. Now that tranny is starting to act funny, and since my GF just recently got herself a 4runner I can take some time to fix it myself and make it right. Should see some new things on it over winter break too
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Great, glad you made it to AZ. Welcome back
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

ewww you move to snotsdale enjoy your over priced gas there
Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Welcome to AZ man!
We need to get the people in AZ organized and start something. I have talked to several Z owners that I run into, and most are not even on here or hybridz.
I have been educating the masses.

Your Z looks good man. Keep up the work. I hope it's not long before I can get started on mine.

Being located in Snobsdale, (Sorry couldn't help myself, lol) you have no excuse not to show up at the Pavilions next Saturday. haha
If you do not know about the Pavilions, it is a free car show every Saturday in Scottsdale. No prizes, no judges. Just a bunch of cool people with some of the most rare cars you will ever see (saw a Veyron last Saturday) getting together, and enjoying eachothers cars, and motorcycles.
It's right next to the 101 loop on Indian Bend rd.
Jet bikes, jet cars, old cars, new cars, perfect cars, and beat up cars, imports, domestic, trucks, and motorcycles. You get it all. Good times.

Last edited by Ratfink; 11-18-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

oh yeah the pavilions havent made it to there lately been working lots of saturdays.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Originally Posted by rtmorgan
oh yeah the pavilions havent made it to there lately been working lots of saturdays.

I am there just about every Saturday lately. If I see a Z, I will find you.. Might bring my own Z. But, tires are so bad I am scared to drive it. Along with numerous other things. It's an embarrassment. lolz.
My poor car. =(
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM

lol if i go ill pm u and give oyu heads up. its like a 30-45 min drive for me i live near williams gateway airport
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Hoov for Pres!

You just aren't driving fast enough.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM

no its called 101 traffic and i cant afford any more tickets right now
i have to go in and pay my other one on monday
Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Yeah, you were not driving fast enough. A crown vic only does 135 max.

Just kidding. Well, not about the Vic, but about speeding. I don't recommend it. My record is pretty bad.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM

yeah i got a bull crap tastic ticket
williams field has been 50mph for the longest time so i dont even look at the speed signs anymor. but they changed the speed from 50 to 45. i was doing 56 and the cop wouldnt let me off damn motorcycle cops
Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 PM
From NY to AZ

I've been going to the Pavilions since I was 8 years old. Used to live across the street from there, literally.

Won't be out there this weekend, I'll be too busy building race cars
Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 PM

one of these days all us guys from az should meet up and have a driving trip up the mountains and have lunch hang out a little and drive back.
theres what a good 5 of us isnt there?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Hoov for Pres!

On here at least. I know there are really a lot more in the area. I see Z's all over the place. Not even counting the 350's I see like 1-3 a day.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 PM

yeah i see a lot of 350's gets kinda boring
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I agree. But, you just can't discount them on trips. If they want to come, I am game. Never even ridden in a 350Z. kinda strange. I have driving Skylines, and various million dollar machines, but I have yet to ride in a 350Z. lol
Non of my friends own one.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Über User

my aunt and uncle live in scottsdale. my cousing did as well obviously i think he moved out with his gf to flagstaff though. not positive on that one.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 PM

i didnt say i wanted to dscount them i was just saying i see a lot of them.
and now that i think of it i havent ridden in one either.

ohh when we do it we should wait till all the snow birds are gone cause traffic is worse right now
Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 AM
From NY to AZ

It's been a LONG time since I've updated this, or worked on the Z for that matter... So its time for an update!

I got a set of these lights to replace my DIY projector setup. I'll sill still be running the HID bulbs in these housings but I don't think I'll hack them up for projectors anytime soon.

Also got a new set of clear headlight covers since I lost one of my tinted covers to a semi a while back

I also got the rest of the MSA type II body kit to go with the front bumper which has been on the car for years. It will be painted sometime this fall and the kit will go on at that time. When it is painted I will have the turn signals shaved from the front bumper and all the running lights shaved from the fenders.

In the meantime it is getting tint sometime this week. Will have some updated pictures up when its done
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 AM

interesting housings, i haven't seen any with the turn signals built in like that. since the headlights are recessed, is that going to pose any legal issue? people from the sides might not be able to see those. i dont know too much about those types of laws, but it might be something to double check before you shave off the front signals.
i think it will look good though, i've always thought the front signals were too large and kinda funny looking. i've been trying to find something that could replace them, so i'm excited to see the next updated install pictures.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by nissangeek
interesting housings, i haven't seen any with the turn signals built in like that. since the headlights are recessed, is that going to pose any legal issue? people from the sides might not be able to see those. i dont know too much about those types of laws, but it might be something to double check before you shave off the front signals.
i think it will look good though, i've always thought the front signals were too large and kinda funny looking. i've been trying to find something that could replace them, so i'm excited to see the next updated install pictures.
Can't speak to the legalities, but Dodge vans use a setup that the front turn signal and side marker light flash opposite each other while turning. If ya rigged up such a setup, it would be legal regardless.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:53 PM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by nissangeek
I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem; a cop would have to know what a ZX is supposed to look like to see a problem with it, so I highly doubt I'm going to hear anything about..

Originally Posted by bojo68
Can't speak to the legalities, but Dodge vans use a setup that the front turn signal and side marker light flash opposite each other while turning. If ya rigged up such a setup, it would be legal regardless.
If you had actually read what I had posted you would see the I'm having both the turn signals and side markers shaved
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM

I can see a problem both from the legal and the common courtesty standpoint. Legally, same as above, but yes, seems like they'd have to KNOW where the signals are supposed to be located to really have an issue. Then again, I hope you cover up the previous turn signals in such a way to make it impossible to tell there used to be anything there, and make it easy to take back off, just in case.

From the common courtesy stadpoint, It'd be hard for other drives to tell which way you are turning. Directly infront and behind you is not an issue, but people who are facing your left or right side(say, at a 4 way stop), due to the recessed nature of the lights, would have a hard time seeing which way you are turning, or if you are turning at all. They may think you are going straight when you are really turning right, or even left. And if you are turning left while they are U-turning(because they thought it was safe, seems it appeared you were going straight), you may run into a problem.

But, it'd look cool ;-).

--Ryan

Quick Reply: Project log *with pics*