280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

msa headers street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Get outta my way.

msa headers street legal?

Well after searching for about a hour I found no answer. Are the msa 3 into 2 headers street legal here in California?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Ruff Ryder

if you hook up the smog injection crap and put a heat shield over it, i doubt they would notice, just take it to a place where they dont care..
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Get outta my way.

Originally Posted by hoov100
if you hook up the smog injection crap and put a heat shield over it, i doubt they would notice, just take it to a place where they dont care..
Haha around here theres lots of those places. Well my dad will buy them but on the condition that they are street legal.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Ruff Ryder

if you put the smog injection tube on their i dont see why it wouldnt be smog legal, its not like they polute more.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Doesn't post much...

The answer is NO, they are NOT Smog legal in California... Period.

No C.A.R.B (California Air Resources Board) label = No Dice.

He didn't ask how to hide them or modify them to accept what you guys ASSUMED would MAKE them legal.

They ARE NOT LEGAL.

Rod.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Ruff Ryder

if i can get SBC powered z31 to pass smog without paying the guy off, he should have no problem passing visual, especially if he takes it to the el-cheapo smog places..
Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Doesn't post much...

if i can get SBC powered z31 to pass smog without paying the guy off, he should have no problem passing visual, especially if he takes it to the el-cheapo smog places..
Well that's all well and good, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's FREAKING ILLEGAL!

What part of that don't you get?

Just because you managed to slip something by an idiot at the smog station means nothing.

The question was "Are they legal?" and the answer is NO, they are not.

he was pretty clear in saying that his dad would buy them "Only if they are legal" which they are not...

He wasn't asking for opinions on how he might get away with it.

Don't encourage someone to break the law unless you want to take the responsibility and the consequences when they get popped for it. That is just ****ed up.

Rod.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Get outta my way.

Ya Id rather get legal headers thanks anyways. Well Ive been searching all day now and cant find any headers that seem to be legal. Anybody know of any decent performance headers that are legal?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Ruff Ryder

unless he does something stupid, like street race, i doubt a cop would ever pop his hood, that and unless he gets chrome headers i HIGHLY doubt they would notice, i dont know about san diego, but around here cops just dont really car about engine mods unless you have a huge fart can scrapping the ground.

BTW where you located?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Doesn't post much...

unless he does something stupid, like street race, i doubt a cop would ever pop his hood, that and unless he gets chrome headers i HIGHLY doubt they would notice, i dont know about san diego, but around here cops just dont really car about engine mods unless you have a huge fart can scrapping the ground.

BTW where you located?
Wow, I don't remember you being this f%^&ng stupid before but... Damn.

Do you simply not understand the question?

Are they illegal?

Yes.

Again, unless you want to volunteer to accept the consequences of his being either:

A. Caught using an illegal header by a cop.

or...

B. Failing a smog inspection for having an illegal part and being sent to the smog referee.

You are an *******. You're flat out suggesting to him that he does something illegal. Easy for you to say huh? If you want to do it, fine. If you get away with it... Good for you, but where do you get off suggesting someone else do it?

Aside from all that, this was a simple thread based on a simple question and you keep being an idiot about it.

The answer is still NO.

Get a clue already.

Rod.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Get outta my way.

I live in Riverside. Im just going to keep searching for some legal headers.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Big Poppa

unfortunatly there wont be any legal headers for the L series motor, they are for "off road use only" besides that, your exhaust manifold will actually flow almost as good as a header, there are minimal gains on a low the medium modified z. there only really good if your raising the compression and making the whole engine flow more air. which of course are illegal as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Juan280zx
I live in Riverside. Im just going to keep searching for some legal headers.
Sorry Juan, these cars are so old, that there were never any CARB legal headers manufactured for them.

As was mentioned, they don't do much for performance without a bunch of other "complimentary" mods anyway.

Get a nice 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust with a decent muffler and it'll sound good, drive well and be completely legal.

Cheers,
LWW
Old 08-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Get outta my way.

Speaking of mufflers anybody recomend a certain type. I dont want one of those ricer fart cans, I would like one with a nice powerful rumble sound to it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 PM

Magnaflow, Borla, etc etc. I picked up a "Cherry Bomb Super turbo" the other day, and it actually makes my Z sound nice. It gives it a nice quite sound but when you open it up all the way, it sounds like a racecar.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Ruff Ryder

all of the deep rumbling sounds you hear are caused by big CAM and a strait through pipe, magnaflow and borla make two of the best non-JDM mufflers that i have heard, except for the one i have on my 87, all it says on it is "bullet" and it will make your 6 pack sound like a pissed off v8.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

I have Magnaflow's on all my Z cars. For me, they definitely have the best compromise between quiet while driving normal and angry rumble when you roll into it.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Big Poppa

got any part numbers for those magnaflows, mine kinda is still ricey, and is a dynaflow turbo muffler from msa. its starting to get pretty loud. i kinda think 7000rpm alot has worn out the insides of it!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM

San Diego is THE worst place for us to be. Straight up. Mods are not only watched dogged like crazy there. But there laws are so strict that cops are briefed on what to look for even if it is "stealthy", you could flat black everything in your engine and they would pop you for it... and if you are wondering muscle cars are slapped hard too. If you get caught racing they not only arrest you(like everywhere else) but they crush your car within 24hrs. With all you **** in it. And there's nothing you can do about it. Left your laptop in it? It will be crushed as well. SD is cracking down so hard, you can't get away with much.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Ruff Ryder

its BS, if they where to crush my car i would be going to get a lawyer.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Well it is true, San Fran is doing the same thing.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Ruff Ryder

im moving to NM, california can kiss my ***, soon you wont even be able to wipe your own *** without some special permit..
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Well CA, has it's ups and downs. You just have to know the laws, or know some people. Like I know our District Attorney, so I can get away with alot
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Big Poppa

there are lots of lawyers standing up to that crushing law now. i dont like lawyers, but this ones insane. theres a law aboot personal property, and that they cant crush it without a fair case, and you have to be able to "bail" your car out or something. its all coming back at them now with this new hanous law.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM

I lived in CA most of my younger life; sounds like it's gotten much worse than I left it. I live in N Louisiana now. The last time I had my Z "inspected" they made sure all my lights, windshield wipers and horn worked. Then checked my papers. On my way in less than 10 mins!

Quick Reply: msa headers street legal?