280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

looking into buying an 83 280zx 2x2tops want to know what 2 look 4 when checkingout

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 05:03 AM

I have that exact same car. Have you checked it out yet? If not, when you do look at it, look for rust in the wheel wells, rust on the rear hatch, and look where all the lights meet the body because sometimes water can get into the lights and cause rust. Check out all the lights and options (windows, signals, ect.) to make sure they work correctly. Also check the T-tops for evidence they might leak. You might want to give the interior a good once over because a lot of the plastic interior parts can wear out. When doing a test drive watch for rough idle, rough shifting, and uneven acceleration also keep an eye on all the guages. If I were you I would also let it sit in idle for a few minutes after the test drive to make sure it can run smooth. If the RPMs start going up and down in idle thats ok. If it is stalling out constantly then you have a problem. This is all stuff off the top of my head. Im trying to think of problems i've had with my car but none come to mind. Good luck with the Z! I hope you get it.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:22 PM

Also--If you can look under the car, try to see if the transmission , rear differential, and oil pan are leaking. If there's a lot of black goop stuck to everything, that's probably ok. Just look to see if there's any fresh drips or evidence of ooze. Gunk under the oil filter is ok, because it's really hard to remove the oil filter without spilling oil on the engine block. Keep this in mind when you look under the car as well.

Check the splash guard under the raidiator to see if there's any coolant sitting in there. If there is, that's a sign of a water pump getting ready to go out on you.

If the car has digital gauges, make sure that the water temp doesn't go above 1/2 way. Even in the Texas heat, my car never gets hotter than that...even in Dallas rushour traffic.

You should have a "talking lady" that warns you about a door being open, low fuel, lights being on, and parking brake being on. Try to set it off and see if it works especially if there's a custom stereo.

That's about all I can think of right now....
Old 09-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Also look at the tires, bald tires are sure signs of abuse, also check the brakes, hold down the pedal for pressure loss, and the back side of the tires for brake fluid. Brakes can get costly, and they are important. Also look at the rims for damage, off road excurisions usually leave marks on them. Hope your Z is in better shape then mine.