280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Its time!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 AM

Its time!!

I finaly have some free time on coming weekends so I am gonna go ahead and start working on making the Z all pretty like. Need all your advice on how its gonna look like when I'm all done with it.

First of all, it needs paint. I have mentioned this before that I want to go two tone and I thought my mind was pretty much made up on what two colours to use but I was at the paint store the other day using their paint sample chips to figure out the right combo. I was initialy looking at a jet black alongwith a Z3 orangy red. Then I saw a flat orange from a lamborghini chart and a dark metalic charcoal (sorta gunmetal) from a BMW chart and I am thorougly confused. The transition between the two colours will be a solid line of pure white. I will be doing up some drawings closely resembling the two paint schemes to give you all a better idea of what I hope to achieve in terms of looks but I feel I need some advice from my Z fellowship to make up my mind. Its early I guess since you might not know what the hell it is that I am talking about but still.....Any ideas / opinions (the good, the bad and the ugly...any of those are appreciated) on the two paint choices?

I will soon post on the Z's other sub-projects so stay tuned
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Damn ... I can't believe I'm still up.

I really think the orange and metallic charcoal separated with a thick line of white would be fantastic. How do you plan to separate the colors? What I mean is, where are you going to put the two-tone? Are you following the upper body line, or the lower line where the bump strips usually are?

Either way, it should look hot. Let us know what you decide on.

-Dave-O
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 AM

Yeah regular night owls we are I guess. This is about the only time I can go on without my 2 1/2 yr old wanting to bump me off to go to the Bob the buildre website

As for the paint, The top of the car in cluding the hood, roof and the hatch were to be black (or charcoal...now) and for the contrast colour I will be following the lines off the side of the car from the top of the front fender and continue along the crease that goes right close to the B pillar (I assume thats correct) then the contrast starts up again above the rear quarters where the crease starts and ends at the back edge of the fender by the lights. I am thinking of fabricating a body kit that will include front / rear facias and side skirts which will carry the same conttrast colour all around the car. The white will be right at that crease in between the two colours, maybe an inch wide maybe 2. I haven't decided yet.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Doesn't post much...

I like it. Sounds like it would look pretty sweet. I can tell you that I had the wild idea of painting my front grill piece red about a week ago (You know the plastic insert below the bumber and above the chin spoiler?), to give the car some contrast. So, I did it. I painted it the exact red that the calipers are. When I put it back on the car, I didn't really feel the love for it. But, after a few day's I realized that a lot more people were checking out the car. Everybody seems to like it, so maybe I'll keep it that way. I'll try and put a pic later.

Rod.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Yeah I am feeling good about this. So what colour scheme u think?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Doesn't post much...

I like the whole gunmetal/orange idea. I truthfully didn't have the ***** to go two tone on my Z, but I love the look. Mine was originally supposed to be ALL black. I didn't want any color other than black visible on the car. No chrome, no nothing. It was actually too black if you can beleive it, so I broke it up with red accents and it looks really good. So here I am with a black/red combo. If you go with your idea, I think it will look great.

Rod.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:50 PM

I dig two-tone. I almost feel it should be that way from the factory.

In fact, I was [and still am] planning on painting my Zed a two-tone black and charcoal gray. I also thought about the bright metallic orange like Carl's Z has, with the black.

Like HaroHaro's 2+2 on www.s130.net
http://www.s130.net/photo/p_haro_02.jpg
http://www.s130.net/photo/p_haro_13.jpg

-Dave-O
Old 09-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Ya know, the more I think about the orange / charcoal scheme the more I like it too. Especially considering I thought I was pretty much set at the black / red scheme then saw the other colours and instantly doubted my initial choice. Hmmmm thanks dudes. Your valued opinions are much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Dorifto
I dig two-tone. I almost feel it should be that way from the factory.

In fact, I was [and still am] planning on painting my Zed a two-tone black and charcoal gray. I also thought about the bright metallic orange like Carl's Z has, with the black.

Like HaroHaro's 2+2 on www.s130.net
http://www.s130.net/photo/p_haro_02.jpg
http://www.s130.net/photo/p_haro_13.jpg

-Dave-O
Believe it or not man. Carl's Z is a faded red that turned to that reddish orange. Just to let you know, but yeah I agree 2-tone is tight on these cars. That is why I am going with blue and silver scheme.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Doesn't post much...

So what's the latest on this man? Haven't heard anything from you in a while now. Are we going with the Orange/Gray thing or what? I still think that was a good call. Keep us posted and send some updates now and then.

Rod.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 PM

Yo!...sorry I've been away on a roadtrip with the family. Two and a half weeks or so. 3900kms in total. Thank God for those portable DVD players. Kid was busy the whole way watching Shrek!

Anyway about the paint project...have been doing up some drawings and stuff trying to come up with what I want for the front/rear facias and the side skirts. Almost have it I think. I will submitt scanned sketches by this weekend I promise.

Was just looking for a free weekend to strip the rest of the paint off. Its just that.....to me family comes first though as I am sure most can understand. Yeah the Z is my third love! Wife & Kid tied for 1st sadly that leaves the Z with a 3rd.

Thanks though for checking up on me Rod...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

I'm right there with ya buddy. You don't have to feel sorry for having your priorities straight, It's a rare thing to be well adjusted these days. Can't wait to see the sketches. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome.

Rod.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 PM
NisTuner

Gunmetal/Orange. Sounds pretty awesome to me. My car is two-tone in case you haven't seen it. I have the Blue/Silver two tone. It's really a pretty neat combo, I'd personally like to eventually go with a different paint job, but stick with the two tone. As said though, 2-Tone fit these cars well.

Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...X/DSCF0091.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...X/DSCF0092.jpg
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 PM

Nice! That is one clean looking 2+2
Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 AM

Has any one actually seen a two-tone for the 280ZX like from the bumpers and black striping down. I think I might look reasonalble. When you do your sketches or rendering (Depends on your preference) just give it a chance out of curiosity. It looks ok on a variey of cars such as the S13 and AE86.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:04 AM
NisTuner

Hmm Fantagon, That could be neat, but for some reason I just don't see it working as well on a 280ZX. Who knows?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Here's the two tone I think looks best...

CLICKY
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

No doubt man, the rarest color scheme of them all!!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 PM
NisTuner

Man, if I eventually change the color scheme of my 280, I think I'd almost consider going with that scheme. That's pretty cool lookin.