280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Injectors?

Got in the Z-- bloody cold outside cranked the heat-- woof whole car filled with the smell of fuel. Popped the hood. Only to see I've got an injector leaking.

Checked the local pick n pull-- problem there is that most of them the rubber hoses thats crimped to the top are dry-rotted. I grabbed two from there anyway, to see if by chance you could replace the hose and re-crimp it. But thought I'd go ahead and ask here to see if anyone had done so.

Also was wondering if another car out there had the same size/type injectors that might be a place to check also-- was going to get a set from a 300zx they had in the junker too.They wanted 11 bucks for the fuel rail V6 (was short the funds for the rail and was in too big of a hurry to try work the lil buggers off) so I didn't go for those, wasn't sure if they were the correct size anyway and its a helluva long drive to take 'em back. Not too friendly there anywho.

Did see a perfect silver 280zxt there. Clean as a whistle. Looked like it had blue/silver interior. Car was much cleaner than most I've seen on the road around here. Unfortuanetly, whole car had been picked clean. Would have been a nice take even just for the body though. Such a shame... always see some of the nicest cars at the worst times at those places.

Anyway, thanks for any help.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 PM

I'm sure you can recrimp them but instead of going that route you can just get a hose clamp and clamp a new line to the injector. That's what I've done and I've not a had a problem yet and it's been about a year if not longer since I did it. The funny part is the top of the hose where it meets the fuel rail is where I ended up having a leak on 5 of my 6 injectors. But not a leak yet at the injector since I clamped the hoses on.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:32 AM
NisTuner

I definitely think I've got some type of injector leak as I was getting the same thing as Mooney last night. I also believe that's what attributes to the fact that sometimes the car feels like it's really pulling and other times it doesn't seem to have the pull as much.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:48 AM

I know I probly got an injector leak. I just got them working again. but two of my 6 injector spacer's(big black part) there cracked. So i got to pull them. But I have not yet had a problem with the hoses.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:06 AM
NisTuner

Will the injectors from a 300ZX work like Mooney asked? I have a set of injectors from the 300ZX and if I could use those, that'd be great.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM

I had also thought about using a hose clamp. Problem is (LOL I'm cheap if ya can't tell) I didn't grab the fuel hose clamps there.. and just a regular hose clamp (with the slots) cuts into the hose when tightening more vs the fuel style ones which are smooth bands.

I wasn't sure if anyone had done anything though-- thanks again. Anyone have an idea what stock injectors are rated at anyway?

Luke
Old 10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
NisTuner

Mooney, when you said you had the injector leak, did you actually see the injectors leaking? I've got to just get the car going tomorrow out in the sun and start checking this out. I hate problems.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 AM

Yep, you could see fuel around the top of the injector. Wasn't that hard to spot at all.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 PM
NisTuner

How can you tell if it's the actual injector or the rubber seal around the injector. I have what looks like two, possibly 3 that are leaking near where the injectors screw in. So luckily I have the injectors from the Z31, so I'm gonna go and fix that up soon, but while I'm at it, should I pick up some new seals?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by duowing
Will the injectors from a 300ZX work like Mooney asked? I have a set of injectors from the 300ZX and if I could use those, that'd be great.
I believe the injectors from a 300ZX NA are the same as the ones for the 280ZX Turbo. Although, you should be able to use them on a 280ZX NA. Although, it may run a little rich at idle due to the slightly slower cycle rate. It may not be able to open and close the injectors fast enough at low rpm's to keep the fuel ratio correct.

At speed there should be no problems.