280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

cat gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 02:54 PM

cat gone

i got this peace from a friend .... out with the old in with the new love the new sound be i dought the neighbors DO
Old 05-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Is the rest of the exhaust stock?? I was wanting to do that to my exhaust to.. Any hp difference??
Old 05-07-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
Is the rest of the exhaust stock?? I was wanting to do that to my exhaust to.. Any hp difference??

I have a MSA header and a 2 1/2" to 4 " out crome muffler and YES with out a dought in mine or my girl friends mind, IT has more power better sound and crazy *** top end I ordered an injector plug kit from ebay today only $22.00 and that will replace all of my injecter plugs that are broken and taped on {hhahhahahahah well not taped but should be } i am really stoked on how she running body kit body kit body kit motor sports here i come

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 05-07-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by 81 red L28E
I have a MSA header and a 2 1/2" to 4 " out crome muffler and YES with out a dought in mine or my girl friends mind, IT has more power better sound and crazy *** top end I ordered an injector plug kit from ebay today only $22.00 and that will replace all of my injecter plugs that are broken and taped on {hhahhahahahah well not taped but should be } i am really stoked on how she running body kit body kit body kit motor sports here i come
Sounds nice I need to eliminate my cat. With standalone engine managment I should be able to just run lean going thru emissions.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:06 PM

i live in washington state they dont give a crap about emissions if your car is already lic and titled {loveing IT}
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Bleach is my Hero

i live in washington state they dont give a crap about emissions if your car is already lic and titled {loveing IT}
Must be nice. I hate living in major cities. But after 23 years my car still goes thru emissions with no problem. Now when I put my new engine in that will be a different story I am sure
Old 05-07-2005, 06:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey man; Be careful, sometimes they take a mirror under your car at emissions. And if they don't see the catylitic convertor. they my fail you. My suggestion, which I am thinking about. Is gutting out the cat, and make it look like it is there and functional. I know some people that have gutted it out, and put the cat back on. As long as it is there, they don't care. Anyway what they don't know can't hurt them? right?LOL!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Hey man; Be careful, sometimes they take a mirror under your car at emissions. And if they don't see the catylitic convertor. they my fail you. My suggestion, which I am thinking about. Is gutting out the cat, and make it look like it is there and functional. I know some people that have gutted it out, and put the cat back on. As long as it is there, they don't care. Anyway what they don't know can't hurt them? right?LOL!
Or I can just keep my old one and if they do say something I will swap it out?? What was real wierd is last time they didnt even pop my hood.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

man, you guys got it good in washington. i got screwed here in cali. pulled over by chp for some garbage other than my car ( racist cop ) made me pop the hood, and then the cop went through the engine bay and exhuast noticing i didnt have a cat and that all i had was headers and a glasspack. plus i didnt have the C.A.R.B. numbers on my intake and filter so i was sent to the state ref and fined 380 bucks and was required to get smogged again. funny thing is . . .he thought the 280ZX was carburated. i wanted to puch him in the face and use his whole can of mace in his eyes, then take his night stick and break his teeth in . . .
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 AM

i still want to do all of that to the stupied PIGS i hate cops
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Once you gut the cat, just push a slightly smaller diameter pipe in it and weld it to the original flanges. Now you have the cat installed and the advantage of a straight through pipe. The slight decrease in ID won't affect much unless you're running a really serious engine setup.

Back in the day where I lived in the mid-west, the law required you to have a cat installed, but there was no requirement that it work! Everyone pretty much punched out their cat and put a pipe through it.

As long as you're within the 'letter' of the law, you should be fine.

Be aware, you will loose some of your low end torque.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Apollo, how'd you get those prelude seats in your car? Did you have to make a bracket for them or did it mount on without using an adapter
Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Bleach is my Hero

i still want to do all of that to the stupied PIGS i hate cops
I got pulled over with an AK47 once.. The best time of my life, cop was shittin bricks the look on his face was priceless..
Old 05-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by Captain caveman
Apollo, how'd you get those prelude seats in your car? Did you have to make a bracket for them or did it mount on without using an adapter
its was fairly simple. just need a welder, die grinder or hack saw and some scrap metal to make tabs for mounting. wasnt hard at all just gotta have the equipment. i removed the honda belt buckle, replaced it with the Nissan and cut the the rear bracket facing inwards off so that it would fit as close to the tranny tunnel as possible.
AK47 huh . . . .did you have a permit for it? how did he see it, lying in the passenger seat? did you use it on the bastard?
As far as replacing the cat with a straight pipe, yea its nice but lww is right, you do lose low end. but high end is VERY nice. even on a very mild motor . . . at least from my experience
Old 05-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by apollo
its was fairly simple. just need a welder, die grinder or hack saw and some scrap metal to make tabs for mounting. wasnt hard at all just gotta have the equipment. i removed the honda belt buckle, replaced it with the Nissan and cut the the rear bracket facing inwards off so that it would fit as close to the tranny tunnel as possible.
AK47 huh . . . .did you have a permit for it? how did he see it, lying in the passenger seat? did you use it on the bastard?
As far as replacing the cat with a straight pipe, yea its nice but lww is right, you do lose low end. but high end is VERY nice. even on a very mild motor . . . at least from my experience
It was semi-auto dont need a permit but it was registered in my name, as far as using it on him no by the time he found it there were 3 other sherrif's there.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:23 PM
cm3

Is it easy to gut the cat? I was thinkin about buying a hi-flow cat but if this works I might try this instead.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:26 PM

hahahahhahahahahahahahahah nice
Old 05-08-2005, 04:44 PM

Hahaha! Pulled over with an AK ... nice.

Cops out here are racist ... my brother's Fillipino, so cops say they don't need a reason to pull his ***. Now that he's a firefighter, that has changed.

Here's what I plan on doing to pass my car:

1) Run the stock manifold and downpipe (it's not turbo!) to the stock cat. After the cat, I'll use the flange from the stock system and weld it to a 2"-2.5" collector, then run 2.5" piping back to a CherryBomb Turbo muffler. Legal, and sounds good.

2) Once I pass the car, I'll pull the cat, and add a piece of 2.5" piping between the collector and the rest of the exhaust. Until I get a Pacesetter header and DP or turbocharge my engine, I'll stay with the stock manifold.

3) For race day, I've already fabricated a 2.5" side exit "Race Pipe". I simply clamped a 2" collector onto the flange protrusion from the stock pipe where the cat bolts up, and ran 2.5" piping out the driver's side. I'll have pics on my webpage tonight so you can see what it looks like. Just as a sidenote, DON'T run a straight race-pipe on the street. I couldn't even make it out of my driveway without having the cops called on me for disturbing the peace.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Bleach is my Hero

That sounds Nice.. I am prob going with a side exit exhaust and custom down pipe I already have..{refer to gallery} My nieghbor made his own side exhaust on his 350W and its not really too loud.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
The Evil Twin

Only the outskirts of Washington don't have emissions. Those of us in the Seattle/Tacoma area do have to go through emission tests every 2 years untill the vehicle is 25 years old or older.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Just as a sidenote, DON'T run a straight race-pipe on the street. I couldn't even make it out of my driveway without having the cops called on me for disturbing the peace.

you guys must live in such a lame place.... in hood my you can do what ever you want cops are really chill they never even look my way.. one time we got stop for street raceing the cop said look i dont care if you guy want to line up and take a run just do it at the stop light in carlsborg. not on a one way road , then he made us go tell the neighbor we were sorry hahhahaha
Old 05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
It was semi-auto dont need a permit but it was registered in my name, as far as using it on him no by the time he found it there were 3 other sherrif's there.
If it was semi-auto, it wasn't an AK-47...

Bulgarian SLR? Egyptian Maadi? Chinese Type-56?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

you guys must live in such a lame place.... in hood my you can do what ever you want cops are really chill they never even look my way.. one time we got stop for street raceing the cop said look i dont care if you guy want to line up and take a run just do it at the stop light in carlsborg. not on a one way road , then he made us go tell the neighbor we were sorry hahhahaha
. . . . . . .wtf. if that were me, anywhere near the sanfransisco bay area, it is an automatic impound, hefty fine, and a free rodney king reenactment courtesy of the prosecuting officer.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by apollo
. . . . . . .wtf. if that were me, anywhere near the sanfransisco bay area, it is an automatic impound, hefty fine, and a free rodney king reenactment courtesy of the prosecuting officer.
Same here, but If I drive to my friend's town(about 15min away) we can do whatever we want. Just dont do anything destructive! Heck, Sometimes the cops show up to watch! After your car is registered it'll never be checked again. Unless you get a cop on a bad day. I love that about Michigan ...that and we dont have front plates!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by lww
If it was semi-auto, it wasn't an AK-47...

Bulgarian SLR? Egyptian Maadi? Chinese Type-56?
It was Bulgarian AK-47 had a 30rd magazine, and took 7.62x39 caliber bullets and was semi-auto paid 380.00 for it at lone wolf here in phoenix. it says AK-47 on my registration for it,.