280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Cassette Player and dome/Dash light magic

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

Cassette Player and dome/Dash light magic

Have to start with the dome and dash light magic.
So as I turn the car on (crank on) the dome light and the light on the dash at the passenger side blinks three time. No clue why or what the hell for...this stated after I installed the radio/cassette player (Thanks Superduner). I know there is some sort of issue with wiring, but for the love of me I cannot figure out what? I never touched the wires that I would think is related to either of the lights. Any thought or help on this would be really appreciated. I am from Los Angeles and if anyone knows a good radio/cassette installer that can probably find a solution to this? that would be great.
My second problem with the cassette player is that it just keeps auto-reversing (I think). As soon as I put the cassette in the right play lights up and then click the left play lights up . I did a Google search and I get solution to change the drive band. I don't know if there are any tape deck experts here, but if you guys can point me to a website or a local repair shop that does these work I would really appreciate the help...
P.S. the car has got a new paint and interior so new pictures will be posted soon.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:28 PM

When you installed the deck did you run fresh wires from the batt to power the radio? Or did you tap into the existing harness? Where did you attach your ground wire to? As for auto reverse, unless the button is stuck or the inside mechanism somehow trips thinking the tape is at the end and starts winding back. Myself, I would take out the deck open the top up and wire it up and throw a cassette in there and see exactly what it does.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

I used the existing wirings they has...also note that my 82 is from the month of April and the stereo system I got was 12/82 (practically an 83). I know I messed up somewhere really bad, but I am at least happy that the darn thing is in there . Just hoping to get it almost perfect that's all
I had a help from my mechanic also and he was also confused with the wiring because the system has different in the back and the wires were different in the car.
When I go the car it had some after market pioneer tape deck/radio and I know they cut up some wires there...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Idk how people are messing this stuff up to be honest, I wired up my 80 Z car with no problems, I tapped 90% of the power and lights stuff from the cig lighter. And the one power wire for when the key is on from the old radio.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am trying to install the OEM radio...and there are some wires that just did not make any sense to me. I will try again to get things right this weekend and I will keep you guys posted.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Oh the OEM radio. Sorry I thought you where installing an aftermarket.

Look at the FSM wiring diagram. that helped me figure out what wires I could use.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

So here is the deal with the radio/cassette...
I could not for the love of me figure the dome light issue out, so I took it to the mechanic and he said that my entire dash harness is messed up. The previous owner before me wanted to install some sort of a security device which uses a key to activate the ignition and the device is still connected but is bypassed at this time ( i think the mechanic is just ******* with me). Although the dome and dash light do not light up at all now (dome lights up only if the switch is moved to light). I think he took that connection out. I did figure that the drive band is broken in the tape deck so that one is easy...
Don't hate me but now a new problem has come up; the LED for the OEM radio only lights up when I keep the power button pressed and as I release the button it dimms out and while I am driving I loose the sound of rear speakers (no idea why).
Sorry to keep ranting like this and yeah pics are coming soon