280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

A/c

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 PM

A/c

here we go...
i got ac system on...no belt....
i assumer old r12 was in there last...no idea....
my brother in law says he bought coupla cans of refrigarant from wallmart and charged hes system and works great..
my question to you....
WHAT do i have to change, or convert to go to the new stuff from r12...cuz its illegal in canada .....anybody messed with AC before??
1981 280zx NA
Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Externally Wastegated

If you're converting from the old system to the new one, it's expensive to say the least. I got quoted ~700 to change the entire system. Don't just buy that cheap stuff that supposedly works with the old system cause it will work for a little while before damaging your system. A few people over on zcar have done the conversion, they will probably have more info.
John 82ZXT
Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 PM

I've heard it's just a matter of a couple of fittings, but that just doesn't sound right to me. It'll probably be a bit costy. I'm still running R12, but don't even have the belt on now. Just living with the windows down and going 90mph wherever, and I live in Arizona... ;^)

If I lived up in wheat country, I wouldn't even bother...
Old 05-14-2004, 10:18 PM

heh well i keep going back and forth..one day im sayin ill take the whole damn system off...nother day im sayin ill charge it...i dunno l....ill just get it checked and properly charged...i guess messin with that can be dangerous i hear