280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Brain box or Mass air sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Brain box or Mass air sensor?

Well Got the cruise issue solved. "Cleaned contacts" Now the car decided to crap out on me at work. Real good for a resume! Car floods itself out. Pulled the injectors plus the cold start injector. They were all fine. Timeing is spot on. All fuses and fuseable links are clean and fine. Cleaned the contacts on the sensors. I got spark I got fuel by the tanker. Sware I got fuel blowing out the tail pipe! Now I took apart the Mass air sensor. I push the pendulum towards the "lean side" Car runs like a champ. Soon as I let go it starts dieing blowing black smoke. It then dies for about 30 mins then it fires up and acts perfect then all of a sudden it just shuts off. Sorry for the length like to be clear. Now I got a chicken or the egg situation on this primitive system. LoL would the brain box be going out and me toying around is just by passing the ecu to keep it running or is it just the sensor. Hate to buy both parts ! Lol thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Low_N_Slow
Now I took apart the Mass air sensor. I push the pendulum towards the "lean side" Car runs like a champ. Soon as I let go it starts dieing blowing black smoke.
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...our-afm-15277/

If you still have your AFM apart, we suggest rebuilding it
Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM

My car was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the engine temp sensor if you have a 80+ it is the CHTS in 79's much to my confusion it is a WTS near the water jacket. a quick way to check if it is working is just by unplugging it when the car is running. if the car completely dies then you know it is atleast partially working if nothing happens then do a visual check on your wires and do the FSM test on the sensor.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks men. Well I fiddled in the rain in the parking lot. Got pissed and cranked up the tension on the spring. Got it running . Hit 100 mph passed norfolk on rt 64 car ran like it never ran in my known 30+ years. Got it home stalled in the drive way. Would not start for an hour. Tried it again running like a champ spewing carbon. RICH! Lol oh how electrical issues ruin your weekend. Ok the chts is new "8 months to be exact" The car sat since the ol man was sick so 2004 to this December. I have a feeling . There was 1/2 a tank of stale gas in there. I had to of backfired through the intake. Lots of popping during the first weeks back on the road. How ever you guys correct me please. The Mass air , throttle position and computer will cause this exact issue. So should I just brake down and buy all three? My line of work I plug a scanner in and read codes. Um yea we all know were to plug the code reader in on a Z If it would just stay dead Ill know more but this back and forth running perfect really got me lost !
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Make sure the connectors are good. Scraping the oxide off is a temporary fix if the plating is gone. Lots of things can cause these problems. Have you replaced all your vaccum lines? Did you rebuild the AFM yet?