280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Auxillary Injector Fan Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:32 PM

Auxillary Injector Fan Needed?

I am trying to get rid of unecessary components in my car that I never use or are not needed. I am wondering if the injector cooling fan is really necessary. So far I have removed A/C + CC, can anyone think of anything else?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:33 PM

no its not neccesary..im ditching mine...
Old 12-31-2005, 03:16 PM

I don't have mine either...so far so good. It's been off for two years now.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:59 PM

According to Nissan it's neccessary. The L's did suffer from vapor lock back in the day. But what with fuel injection and evolution of gasoline it's not really much of a problem anymore. Nissan only put it there cause the exhaust manifold is right under the intake/fuel rail so a lot of heat can build up there. Theres always the chance you could have a problem at some point but I've had mine off for two years and never had a problem. And prior to removing it the damn thing wasn't working anyways so you do the math. Just realize something could happen but it's not going to damage anything. The vapor will only form when the car is off so worst case scenario you have a tough time getting that sucker started if it ever does occur. Letting the pump run for a while will usually get rid of any vapor in the lines. You couldn't do this with old carbed vehicles cause the pumps were mechanical.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:48 PM

speakin of how close the intake is to exhaust, I have takin every thing off the top of my intake(replaceing and cleanin while it's down anyway's, Mainly just an excuse to work on the car) I have noticed there some one has Deff been there before, and have takin off the intake before. The reasion, They were to damn lazy to put the heat shild back on. Will this hurt me? And since my blower work's, At least i found out that if you mess with the wrong wire on the water inlet, the blower turns on, I am gona leave it there till it stop's. Gives my motor more of a It Only came In This Car Thing, to all the V8 lovin red neck's around here.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 PM

I forgot to put the heatshield between the exhaust and intake manifolds on before. By the time I realized it wasn't on the car I had already tightened up the intake and exhaust manifolds and didn't feel like pulling them back off to put that heatshield on (too lazy ) Drove it that way for a couple months with no problems til I had to the exhaust manifold off again to swap it out. Then I put the shield back in. In all honesty, it probably only helps block the heat for so long. After so much driving and it absorbs so much heat, it's not likely to make too much difference. To be on the 100% safe side, if you've got one laying around, I'd put it in there. But like I said, 2 months with no probs so...
Old 12-31-2005, 10:26 PM

Is there a way to make that shield more effective J ?? Like higher heat composites, or polishing so it reflectes heat???
Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Ruff Ryder

im keeping my injector fan, it helps when you in the deserrt at 120*

Last edited by hoov100; 01-01-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:31 AM

Wrap it in carbon Seriously, thats not a plug for myself. Carbon is even more resilient than metal at blocking heat. Eventually, it's going to heat up and give off similar heat to an all metal one, but it will take a lot longer and the carbon wont get nearly as hot as the metal. Right now I'm working on an all carbon heatshield for the exhaust manifold (the one thats shaped like a manifold). It's just a prototype that a customer is going to test on his car to see if it can take that much heat. Carbon can withstand extreme temperatures no problem. But we have to see if the resin can handle it. Thats why it's just a prototype for now. If it passes then I'll offer it up for sell to everybody else too. Carbon is a much better insulator than those metal shields. Right now I'm working on that one, and one for the brake master cylinder (almost finished) and the one that bolts under the intake manifold and blocks off the PCV hose (the shield that goes up and down). Only problem is that carbon costs a lot more than metal so it's a trade off. Oh it looks better too

Polishing wont really help. It's still going to heat up just the same. But it will look better polished
Old 01-01-2006, 10:09 AM

i took off my fuel injector fan , but only after i decided to change to a lower thermostate to make sure my car ran cooler and didnt hurt my fuel injdtors in any way. personally i know that the fan comes on after u turn off the car and the heat builds up alot.. but if u run a cooler thermostate it doesnt come on , or at least it never came on for me..
Old 01-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Bleach is my Hero

dont need cruise control, the carbon canister, aux. cooling fan, A/C, heater, and all the relay boxes on the passenger side except for the headlight relay..
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Big Poppa

Running A Cooler Thermostat Isnt The Way To Go, Coolong Systems Work In Reverse. To Much Flow And It Wont Cool. I Have A 195 In Mine Because My 3 Core High Density Rad Flows So Well It Doesnt Cool. And You Dont Need The Fan. Hey J Make Me Up A Carbon Heat Sheild, Would Ya
Old 01-01-2006, 01:02 PM

which heat shield? And Shady is right, the lower thermostat isn't going to help. Alls that does is allow the coolant to start flowing sooner. The car is still going to hit it's normal operating temperature regardless of what thermostat you use. The L's have been shown to like that 195 degree spot. An all stock cooling system running whatever temp. thermostat is still going to hit same temperature. The only benefit of the lower temp thermostat is in hot weather, WHILE you're driving. And the injector fan only works while the car is shut off. Now an aluminum radiator would lower operating temps, neither one is much going to affect whether you need the injector fan though. It's more an issue of heat generated by the exhaust manifold that causes the vapor lock. Not the cooling system.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Big Poppa

Heat Sheild - All Of Them. Im Trying The Aluminum Route But Its Difficult To Form Without Having The English Wheel Anymore
Old 01-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Yeah, once I get the molds done I'll let you know. Once the molds are done I can have the shields done in a day. I'll let you know, then you let me know