280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

81 280zx Need help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 PM

81 280zx Need help Please

New to the forum, so excuse my noobness.. The car has been sitting over 20yrs.. Got 40k original miles 5-speed odometer reads top speed 80mph. Some of them read more so I would like to know the difference please, the car started with new plugs fuel filter and battery, idles great for 2hrs no over heating nothing. If I try stepping on the car it will backfire and dye. I just drained the tank and found black goop in there cleaned it out as best I could and put fresh gas in there and now if I hit the gas the car just dyes, it will not let me rev over idle.. Any input will be greatly appreciated PLEASE HELP!!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 PM

fuel filter

you could have a clogged fuel filter or injectors if your system was that contaminated, you should drain the tank and have it cleaned out. A car sitting that long could have all kinds of issues, I know there is a sticky about how to bring a long sitting car back to life, unless the tank was spotless that crap is in your entire system now, hopefully not, but at the very least replace the filter

Good luck

Also you can get a free downloadable PDF file for your service manual

XenonS130 - S130 Reference
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 PM

common problems

here is a sticky that might help, not the one I had mentioned, still looking https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...pection-16386/
Old 04-24-2015, 11:14 PM

cleaning gas tank

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...jectors-25098/
Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 PM

85 speedo

here is a little history, you can swap out a 160 mph cluster or go aftermarket 85 MPH Speedo
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all the useful threads, I am sensing the fuel injectors might be clogged however I did already change the fuel filter and ran a bottle of seafoam and other fuel injection cleaner with the first tank when I originally got the car running, I cleaned the tank myself and cleaned the fuel sending unit best way I can last night took out everything all the goop and crud, it seems like the cars running worse with fresh 93 oct gas now if I have it idle and hit the gas it just dies!!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Omzy
Thanks for all the useful threads, I am sensing the fuel injectors might be clogged however I did already change the fuel filter and ran a bottle of seafoam and other fuel injection cleaner with the first tank when I originally got the car running, I cleaned the tank myself and cleaned the fuel sending unit best way I can last night took out everything all the goop and crud, it seems like the cars running worse with fresh 93 oct gas now if I have it idle and hit the gas it just dies!!
Hope you can get it running. I also bought a can of sea foam but haven't tried using it yet.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 AM

Almost sounds as if its a bad TPS sensor?? Guys back me up this. Got mine wet and would not rev over 1500 sputter and die at 2000rpm?. The filter would clog out before the injectors. If they were varnished up still would leave dead cylinders and ultra rich mix on others. Try buying a few clear filters from tractor supply and see what your pulling up from the tank. Also check fuel lines that rubber breaks down sometimes kinking off fuel??