280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280zx Arizona Z Car BBK Write-Up/Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM

280zx Arizona Z Car BBK Write-Up/Review

Ok so I've gotten to the point where bigger brakes is becoming a bigger and bigger issue with my car. I'm able to accelerate very fast, need to slow down just as fast so I bought the "entry level" Big brake kit from Arizona Z Car. Its the Wilwood 4 piston caliper w/ the 12.2" diameter rotor. I paid $826 shipped to my door. Came in the box, was very well packaged, Dave was very informative on the phone and very friendly. Had a little hiccup on getting the product shipped out to me, but wasn't his fault, just the way things go when running a business of your own. Nonetheless I was impressed with the packaging and quality of the parts right out of the box.

Now his website states that these brakes will clear 15" wheels minimum. This is true, just not for the stock 15" turbo wheels on the 280zx. They have a drop center that will hit the front of the caliper. So you can either get 1" thick wheel adapters, or do it right and get bigger wheels. So i opted for some 16x8 XXR 532s which I am very pleased with. Will have another write up on how to modify the factory center caps to fit the XXR wheels. Anywho, the installation is very straight forward if you're handy with tools. If not here are a few things that you may want to take note of for a smooth install.

Of course with upgrading wheels, I had to get longer wheel studs because the stock mag wheel lugs will not work with aftermarket wheels. Tuner lugs don't thread in far enough with the stock studs. The rear studs are longer than the front studs on the 280zx, so you won't have to upgrade the rears if you're on a budget. I did all 16. I used Dorman part # 610-320 from O'reilly Auto parts, they are approx 12-13mm longer than the stock ones.

Remove all the old brake stuff INCLUDING the splash shield, Keep or discard this depending on your preference. Use an impact driver $11.99 @ O'reillys, this way the rusted bolts will come out without stripping the phillips head.

Once you get the rotor swapped over to the hub, install the caliper bracket bolts into the spindle with the bolt head facing outward towards the rotor. If you do this the other way, the lock nut will hit the rotor and wont turn.

Use one washer with the supplied bolts.

Once you get the bolts in, put the rotor on, pack the bearings and tighten. You will now push the bolts back into the rotor so you can get the caliper bracket and caliper assembly (leave them bolted together) onto the spindle. Before you put the caliper assembly on, put one washer on the other side of the bolt on each bolt, to shim the caliper assembly and center the caliper. You also want to remove the brake pads as this makes it easier to get into place. Tighten everything, then run your brake line, and put your brake pads in.

Bleed all the air from the top two bleeders. There is no sense in bleeding the bottom bleeders other than to get clean fluid through the caliper as air rises and you will never get air out of the bottom bleeders.

Get everything bolted, tight, and bled, and go for a drive.

I noticed right away the HUGE difference in braking ability. It grabs MUCH better than the stock boat anchor system. I had a problem with it pulling hard left under heavy braking with the stock system. Between the stiffer braided lines, and the fixed caliper, There is definitely more braking force for less pedal effort. You will definitely be able to out-brake most cars on the road so be careful when braking in traffic lol. It will require a lot less pedal effort to get the same amount of braking as the old stock setup.

I am VERY satisfied with the results of this brake setup and wouldn't flinch to suggest this to anyone looking into a brake upgrade. I feel that brakes should be something you spend the utmost attention and care to. You should NEVER skimp out on something that could save your life one day. One of the biggest reasons I picked this brake setup over the Toyota 4x4 brake upgrade. I've read numerous reviews over it being somewhat of a spongy setup and having to play with proportioning and everything, I said screw that. Dave has been working on Z car brake systems for a long time and he definitely knows what he's doing. Would EASILY recommend this brake upgrade to any Z car owner out there.

Name:  IMG_0135_zps427b480d.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0137_zpsb973c1be.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0136_zps9dd95f0a.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0138_zpsff4f50e1.jpg
Views: 2586
Size:  72.8 KB