280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280Z Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 PM

Since your neighbor told you he let the magic smoke out...I'd start there. See if you can verify any burnt wires in the dash. You may have burned up some of the wires coming out of the ignition switch.
You may also have a bad connection at the starter from the ignition switch input. I have had that before...the solenoid was coming apart internally and I had to jiggle the spade connecter at the starter until it made a good enough connection to start.

Last edited by zpeedracer25; 09-07-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 AM

Fuel pump relay should be on the right fender well and should be green in color. Mine is next to the fusible link box on my car.

You need to get the car turning over consistently before you do anything else....it won't run if it can't turn over. Have a friend help you and take a test light and verify that when you turn the ignition switch to start that you have power every time to the starter solenoid. Also if you have a big voltage drop across your cables the car will have enough juice to crank due to the gear reduction starter but not enough to run the fuel injection. Those starters will still crank at only 9 volts.

Would this require taking out the entire dash?
This may require dash removal, but start with the covers under the dash and see what you find. Do this after verifying power to the starter solenoid wire...especially if you don't have any.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:05 PM

oops, that was the EFI relay that I mentioned. Let me see if I can figure where exactly the fuel pump relay is hidden.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 AM

My service manual doesn't designate which color of relay goes where. Those relays in that box have nothing to do with the fuel injection or fuel pump, so you need to go else where.
Remove the fuel line from the front of the fuel rail and verify that you have fuel getting there while cranking to be sure that the fuel pump is working. If not you need to verify that you are getting power at the fuel pump when cranking. Get these ruled out before messing with the injection or computer.

P.S.
The fuel pump relay is located under the dash above the fuse box and should be the relay that is closest to the firewall.