280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this fit for my ZX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Question Will this fit for my ZX?

So, I did a search and it appears that we can install a Flowmaster muffler in our ZX, now..my question is..can this model be adapted?

I'd like to get this model, but I want to make sure that it will fit under my car. I don't know if anyone else has gotten this model. I'm going to get new pipes for the exhaust, so I was thinking of getting this muffler.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by n00blar
So, I did a search and it appears that we can install a Flowmaster muffler in our ZX, now..my question is..can this model be adapted?

I'd like to get this model, but I want to make sure that it will fit under my car. I don't know if anyone else has gotten this model. I'm going to get new pipes for the exhaust, so I was thinking of getting this muffler.

What do you guys think?

I know my buddy stuffs a pair of them under his Mustangs whenever he gets a new Mustang but I have never seen them stuffed under a ZX. It is a good sized case so it may need to be tucked close to the body for ground clearance. That particular 40 series is a 2" inlet/outlet I think 2 1/4" would fit a little better. Have you looked into the Flowmaster Hushpower II mufflers? They may actually be a better fit under our Z's and I think they cost less....I know when my buddy gets the 40's they are $75 apiece so that price you have listed is on the high side...a local muffler shop may be able to get that cheaper for you if you have your heart set on the 40...they do sound great on a V8...never heard one on a straight 6 though...I am sure it still sounds good. However, there may be some popping as alot of mufflers without packing in the case can generate it. Good luck man.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Über User

i think you should go 2.5 otherwise your really not gaining any performance. and you can make anything work if you try hard enough.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Yeah, going 2.5 was my next question...

It's just a bit confusing on so many models and brands.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM

That might be a tough tuck. I'd measure from about 1" below the floor (bottom side, of course) to the middle of the axle to see if there's a good fit. If it dangles down under that....I'd rethink it.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Big Poppa

you need to get the outlet so its off to one side, center in model, it will fit fine. my magnaflow super turbo is the exact same size. and go with the 2.5" on a n/a model. youll be happy you did. and once its all on there i want some video. i was thinking of switching to that one, depending on sound. i do like my muffler too. i have the whole mandrel bent kit from msa. it fits great and isnt that expensive. if you dont have a header get on too. might as well do the whole thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM
The Evil Twin

I've had a flat Flowmaster like that for years on my car. It is center in, center out. I never did know the model of it.

2 1/4 is fine. 2.5" on an NA is overkill and you don't need headers for a mostly stock engine. (just my opinion)
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Über User

psh, your lame ^^^^ lol, 3" on turbo cars 2.5 on NA cars, no matter who or what they are lol. and if tehy are onster turbo cars 4-5" or diesel pickup trucks. lol.... but now we are getting carried away.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:31 PM

Well, thanks guys...I got me a MegaFlow Performance and it sounds awesome!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Never heard of "MegaFlow" unless you mean "MagnaFlow" which I have 3. They're nice and quiet while tooling around town and they sound great when you nail it!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:57 AM

Oops! Yeah, MagnaFlow, hehe
Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
User Friendly

(Thread moved)