280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum routing with MSA TB ('82 N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM

Vacuum routing with MSA TB ('82 N/A)

So I recently installed an MSA TB. I'm having some issues with the EGR and possibly the vapor valve working. As far as i know the vac advance is working
Main reason is probably being that the stock TB has three ports, for the Vac advance, EGR, and vapor valve, and the MSA one has only one.

So what i did to try and conteract this issue was to bypass the TVV, and run most of the lines off of a splitter. I had made one soft mount port in the aftermarket boot that i used with the MSA tb like the stock boot. I ran the Vapor line there first.

However, i noticed that if i gave the engine any more than 10% throttle, i would get FULL EGR causing the engine to run like crap unless i stepped on it. I knew this because i felt the valve retract completely into the housing. It wouldn't release immediatley when i let my foot off either, causing a near-stall.

I switched the EGR with the Vapor line, and now i get what appears to be no EGR, becuase i guess there wasnt enough vacuum from the boot. And i need EGR because i'm running a cat (Cali laws), and it will ping unless i have the timing at 5BTDC or lower, which rapes my top end power. I think now that the vapor line is hooked up to the splitter from the TB, it's getting too much vacuum and sucking in fuel, causing black smoke (Line was also dripping when i removed it).

So, what can/should I do about this?