280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:37 PM
The Evil Twin

Turbo Time!

Well now I have the parts I need... although I've got another project ahead of my Z. I need to finish my truck and then I'll get to swapping in the turbo.

With the help of a forum member here, I was led to these two 280ZXs for sale. One is a turbo, the other is a NA. I bought both. I think since both these car's bodys are beat pretty bad (and rusty) I will just swap the turbo engine into my 280ZX 2+2. Even though its a big 2+2, it has t-tops and a T5 already on it. Plus it has a lot of other work done and a straight body.
So, now the fun begins.

Also, any of the coupe parts that I can't use for my 2+2 are for sale or trade. Like the doors and wing windows. Will trade those for comparable 2+2 doors and wing windows. When I get my website back up, I'll start a little Z store. :hpydance:
Old 01-30-2005, 06:56 PM

thats the ****..welcome to the world of boost! cant wait to get mine done too..
Old 01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
The Evil Twin

Yup, the engine looks great. All stock and 102,000 miles. I'm thinking with this low of milage I'll just drop it in as it sets. Stock turbo, low boost. Then I'll do small upgrades here and there as I have time and money. You'll probably get yours done way before me...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
. You'll probably get yours done way before me...
lets not say things we cant take back...lol ....
Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

what colour is the interior?!?!? i need alot of trim!!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 AM
The Evil Twin

One is tan, the other is red. I've got two digital guage clusters!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:03 PM

oh since you have so many engines...is one of them gonna be junk...??? i need front cover (timing chain cover? ) mine is all cracked to hell...no wonder it leaked, noo no POURED oil down the engine...and when that **** hit the fan...wow...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Would ya like to sell me the CV joints =0) and i need some sunvisors mine are old. hhprosthetics@earthlink.net
-chuck
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
The Evil Twin

I'm keeping a lot of stuff. I need spares for my own car. CV joints are one thing I'm keeping. I might have a spare front cover; if not I can find you one. The L16 and L18 are the same front cover as the L24, L26, L28. Only the L20b is different. I'm not getting into ripping these cars apart quite yet. I'll post all the items for sale in the future.
Sunvisors I can sell. I'll have to verify their condition. These two cars are seriously beat. Broken windows, water damage inside, sun damage, rust... you know.

I'm planning to keep both engines and transmissions, and the 3.9 rear.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:15 PM

well hit me up id rather buy from you then sombody else.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:58 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
well hit me up id rather buy from you then sombody else.
Do you want me to autograph the front cover?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:27 PM

please...if i could get your assprint on there that be great!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:10 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
please...if i could get your assprint on there that be great!
An autograph is free. The print will cost you extra.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
The Evil Twin

I went to a nice DOL place that always helps me with trouble title transfers.

The turbo title is fine and on the way to me. (although it will just be a parts car) I had a lost title transfer paper.

The non-turbo was sold from a wrecking yard to the pervious owner that I "bought" it from; the VIN is marked as totaled. The lady made a few phone calls to try to figure out what to do. My only two options are

1. Get the car running and drive it in for a state inspection to clear the VIN of being a total.
2. Cut it up and throw it in a dumpster when I'm done pulling parts.

Oh well, it looks like option 2 is what I gotta do. I'm not going to bother putting work into getting this car street worthy just to title it and then have a yard tow the frame away.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

. . . *lowers head and removes cap* . . . .another one bites the dust.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any kind of figure of how many Z or ZX's are still in existence? I know in my area, I used to see them a lot. I usually can judge a cars timeline by how many I see in the wrecking yards and there condition. And these past few years, they have been getting scarce.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Nice Bleach
Old 02-04-2005, 12:41 PM
The Evil Twin

Well, both these cars literally are totaled. They were going to be stripped and crushed anyway. But now I can't easily have the frames hauled off for one of them.
Two bite the dust, but they'll help my other 280ZX life a long life. Now I just need to avoid women SUV drivers!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:34 PM

How much work would it take to get the digital guage pack to work in a 79ZX?? & how much do you want for one of them?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM
The Evil Twin

I think you need a new sender unit for the some of the displays like the tach, water temp, and fuel. If you do a search on this forum and maybe zcar.com you can find out what all is involved. I'll sell you the gauge itself for 25. Let me know what all else you need and I can possibly pull the parts from the same car and sell those to you too. I can put a battery in the car to see that the gauge cluster turns on. Besides that, the car doesn't start so I can't test it further.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:14 PM

I did a write up on how to do a turbo swap, zx-zx. Its pretty easy if I can do it. Check the link in my sig.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Hi Guys...long time no talk...been away a while
and whaduya know when I get back you guys are talking about a turbo swap...I must say the timing is impeccable...just so happens that I have managed to secure a 1983 turbo engine for my 81 2+2 as well. So Bleach baby its go time...lets get this done and we just might have to meet somewhere in the middle of Seattle and Vancouver one of these days to compare the respective swaps...I am due to go check it out this weekend. it has been pulled already and according to the seller, it ran when he pulled it but believes it has a blown head gasket. any pointers anyhone?? what to lookout for etc. plus what associated Turbo engine parts I should ensure I also obtain at the same time if the engine is still good to go...and price??
appreciate some replys prior to Sunday Feb 20 if it can be helped.
Thanks a bunch in advance
Old 02-18-2005, 09:25 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by das280zx
I did a write up on how to do a turbo swap, zx-zx. Its pretty easy if I can do it. Check the link in my sig.
VERY NICE! That web site is my new home page.

I don't know how soon I'll tear into my engine. I've got some cleanup to do in the garage first. major cleanup... but we should get together and compare swaps. I don't know if I'll get it done by then, but we could also see each other at the Nissan Show n Shine in Vacouver in Sept 2005.

Anyway, after 1 year off the road, today is the first day I drove my 280ZX! its running good! Gotta go get it tested now for emissions and then buy some tabs.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:21 PM

thanks for the compliment. I always planned on going to one of those nw meets, but haven't gotten around to it. I might be in the NW still by then, but I don't know. I took a job with the gov't and don't know where I will be working yet.

Have you ever thought about using the n/a block with the turbo head and stuff? I think this might almost be a good idea. The compression ratio with the flattop pistons would be about 8.8 to 1 if I remember right. This might make for better performance at stock boost levels, but would require premium gas no doubt. I can use 87 octane all day in my zx, makes no performance difference. I even autox it with 87. Someday I might build a zx turbo motor with a little higher compession ratio. I think it would make for a less laggy motor.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:36 PM
The Evil Twin

Yes, it does help with power but I'm not going to do that. I would already assume to run high octain fuel only in a turbo car. Besides, I plan to upgrade the turbo and get an intercooler later on. At 15+ psi I don't think I want flat tops in the engine.

On the other hand. Instead of a T3/04 turbo running 16psi, how about the stock T3 turbo running 12psi with high compression... with good injectors, rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a good intercooler maybe it would be ok and still give you the same power at the wheels.

Last edited by Bleach; 02-18-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 PM

its turbo time (the sequal)

figured I would share my joy with all yus as well, not to mention the pain (back pain that is).

picked up my turbo engine today. its sitting in the back of my truck as we speak. gotta get a couple of neighbors to gimme a hand carry it in to my basement. too bad we are all only connected electronicaly cause I know I could have counted on some of you to give me a hand with it. i gotta tell ya, between me and the other guy we barely managed to lift it high enough to get it in the back of the truck.

speaking of back's...mine's sore now but I cant wipe the smile off my face...
a 2+2 turbo sounds right to me

Quick Reply: Turbo Time!